GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The operators manual suggests the pattern of tire rotation to be criss cross the rears to the front and front to rear on same side.
The question is, should the pattern be different for FWD vs AWD? ???

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I imagine that is what your manual says; so I wouldn't think it would matter; my FWD suggests the same pattern

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Just remember the TPMS has to relearn the wheel positions. The GM dealers usually take care of that after a rotation but an independent will have no idea how to do it. It's in the manual and fairly simple.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mikemu said:
Just remember the TPMS has to relearn the wheel positions. The GM dealers usually take care of that after a rotation but an independent will have no idea how to do it. It's in the manual and fairly simple.
That depends; Discount Tire rebuilt my TPMS sensors and relearned all the tire positions without issues; maybe I was lucky that day

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'd say it was a crapshoot on whomever is doing the work. I was less than impressed by our local GMC dealer on our first visit when the service manager didn't know the remote we have (VBS package) is a factory item along with a few other things.

I bought the new wheels & tires for the Challenger from Discount Tire Direct. While they didn't have any TPM sensors in stock, they were great to work with and coordinated my buying the sensors, shipping to them, and getting everything installed & shipped to me w/o any problem. They even held a price for me so I could get some cashback on part of the deal. Everything works as it should, so I'd not hesitate to buy from them for the Acadia when the time comes.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
That's a good independent if they've gone through the tutorial of relearning the TPMS procedure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The TPMS comments are welcome and interesting however back to the original question.... The rotation pattern for FWD as opposed to AWD, is it different? My wife's AWD Subaru Tribeca recommends front to back and back to front on the same side. Does the pattern used make any difference in the tire wear? Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
According to the 2008 owners manual on page 5-62, there is no difference for FWD or AWD. The only rotation pattern difference I've ever seen is for the older bias-ply tires vs. the newer radials.

The Subaru may have directional tires as OEM. They can only be mounted on one side of the vehicle, so a F-R and R-F would be the only rotation possible.

I'd stick with the GM recommendation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Being a former Goodyear employee, the standard for AWD was to cross tires from front to back. For FWD the drive tires would go straight back and the rear tires would cross to the front. Pressure sensors may change that pattern but that is what Goodyear recommended.

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMHO, criss-cross and front to back is best. But if you have directional tires, then you have little choice but front to back only.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Every car I have owned recommends the criss cross pattern; I think it's a standard

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My husband's car rotates tires left to right. He he, his front tires are a different size. ::) I just had to be bad. >:D

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Now that you mention it, I noticed two of mine rotate counter-clockwise while the other two are rotating clockwise. At least while I'm going forward. :p

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you actually track tread depth wear with this vehicle you'll see that it is important to rotate front to rear as the fronts wear quite a bit quicker than the rear, even with AWD. I'm sure this is becasue of the combination of extra weight up front and predominent front wheel drive. Even AWD, which I have, is 80 or 90% FWD under all conditions other than the very small proprtion of low traction moments when the drive shifts as needed for slip. I measure with a standard tire guage in 32nds of an inch and rotate when the fronts get 1/32 lower than the rears. I move the deeper ones to the front and will rotate again when they are 1/32 lower than the backs. That cycle takes about 6 to 8 k miles and has worked very well for me in getting long even life on vehicles that wear one end faster than the other.

Side to side rotation with this vehicle is not likely of much value and will really not do much to even wear unless you have a significant alignment issue. In that case it should really be adjusted rather than let it ruin multiple tires. My Acadia tires have worn very evenly across the tread (always within a 32nd of an inch, and rotation is really a function for equalizing front and rear wear.) As they say, your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Now that you mention it, I noticed two of mine rotate counter-clockwise while the other two are rotating clockwise. At least while I'm going forward. :p
Oops those dang directional tires

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok, I slept on the job and did not rotate my 08`s tires at all. The rear started humming and I decided to rotate. Of course the hum is up forward now. My tire guy says they may wear in in a month or a few thousand miles. Meanwhile it is very annoying, even with the radio on. I have 38k on the tires. Any experience with this out there?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Was this confirmed that the AWD non-directional tires should be rotated with each rear tire going to the opposite side front (criss cross?) and that front moving back to the rear on the same side? Or RR becomes LF, which becomes LR, and so on? Thanks

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
manual has the cross pattern and back as you describe.
check yours to see if it specifies for AWD or FWD

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I don't care what my manual says... first rotation is front to back, second rotation is criss cross (right rear to front left), third rotation is front to back, wash, rinse, repeat. Numerous cars have different sizes front and rear now. Car God said 'rotating left to right' just makes money for the shop, has no impact on tire life.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discount Tire Co installer told me last time tires rotated their preferred method is:

If tires show even wear, move front to back.

If tires are showing some uneven wear patterns, go RF to LR. LF to RR which will help even out the wear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts