GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem obvious to some of you but here goes. Make sure whoever rotates your tires goes through the process of relearning the sensors. I had mine rotated at the dealer and specifically asked if the sensers were fixed and was told they were. A few days later I got a low pressure warning saying my front left was at 28 LBS. I took it to a pump and discovered with my guage that the pressure was at 35. I thought, great, my sensor is bad. I hoped starting the car the next morning the computer would reset and all would be good. I turned on the car and it said front left was at 9 LBS! Only after arriving at my location and exiting the car did I realize that my left rear was flat, not the front left as the DIC told me. Moral of the story is to be sure to check your other tires if you get a low pressure reading and your tire looks fine.

·
Registered
468 Posts
There are steps for the car to re-learn where the new sensors are after a rotation. Like you said, I would have thought that the dealer would have done that as part of the rotation. I am told that the information is in the owners manual so you can do it yourself with a little bit of effort.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's a very easy process to to do.
Once in relearn mode the car illuminates via the turn signal the order in which the tires (TPMS sensors) need to be relearned. After releasing air the car honks and sends you to the next tire. Two honks at the end signal a successful procedure. Then you add air to to recommended amount and you are done.

It's pretty crappy that the Service center did not do this right or at all.

I learned that the sensors worked when at 47 miles I experienced a flat on the passenger rear tire.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am aware of how to do it myself. I am just saying that it never dawned on me to look at a tire other than the one the DIC said was going low. Just saying check the others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wasn't it just easier to check your tire pressure once a month with a gauge? I own an 02 Yukon and I do that. They put all these things on these vehicles like the oil change monitor. That's another thing that is a pain. I keep track of when I need to change the oil. And when I take it to the dealer to get the oil changed half the time they forget to reset it so I have to. Seems these days we have to have computers warning us about everything and the cost of the add ons makes the vehicles more expensive.

·
Registered
812 Posts
ill make sure to relay this info once i have mine rotated at the dealer. Its always wise to check your tire pressure manually every couple of weeks when there are drastic change in temps and everytime your TPMS shows low.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Back in December I had mine rotated and the dealer did not re-learn the sensors, took over a week to realize after I added air anda different tire increased to well beyond normal and the one with low air did not chnage). I made note of this on the satiisfaction survey I received after the visit. I did get a call from the dealer (surprised they got a lower than normal survey rating) , explained what happened, they apologized and asked why I did not bring back to get corrected - told them because I live 45 miles away and it was not worth the gas to do that when I could do it in 10 minutes in my garage - it should just be part of their process and I should not even have to ask if this was done - they agreed and I will be getting a free oil change the next time I need one (but now I have to drive 45 miles one way for a free oil change) I only got to the dealer to get the major items fixed (recalls, warranty issues) so maybe on one of these visits I'll use the free oil change.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Isn't it amazing how they think a free oil change will fix everything! I had a similar issue with a wheel imbalance where instead of balancing the wheel, they just moved it to the rear, and thus moved the noticable vibration to the rear. Being frustrated with them, I took it to Discount tire, who immediately identified and remedied the issue. When I reported the issue on the survey, I got the same response. Gee, we're sorry, how about a free oil change....

·
Registered
956 Posts
Not to make an excuse for the dealer, but I'm wondering if they don't use lower paid employee's to do that kind of work. I would imagine that the best trained techs make more and are used for more complicated tasks. Still whoever did the work should be trained in whatever they are asked to do. This is why we pay the dealer more $$ than it might cost somewhere else. I generally do as much of my own work as possible just to make sure it is done correctly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This problem shows up because oil changes and tire rotations are shoved off to the newbie mechanic or the "lowest" mechanic on the totem pole. This type of service is considered beneath a typical mechanic's skills and so they refuse to do it or do a rushed job when they have no choice.

Tire Centers on the other hand, usually only do this type of service.

I remember one Saturn Service Center in North Carolina that would offer free dinners (Outback), $50 gift cards to major retailers and other worthwhile things to make amends for mistakes their techs made.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have had tire centers do poor work also. Not long ago I had my tires rebalanced and rotated. I don't remember why I happened to check the air pressure (which they said they had done), but the pressure in two of the tires was too low, one was correct, and the other was very over inflated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts