GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum members,
I posted this as a reply to the thread about performance of the Acadia's tire pressure monitoring system. I highly recommend this.

Since about 10 years ago, I now make it a rule to take any newly purchased vehicle (that has new tires) to NTB, Merchants, Goodyear, or whatever tire shop applies, the day I buy the vehicle or the following day to PURCHASE ROAD HAZARD INSURANCE ON THE TIRES. I have saved much more than the investment over and over again. That is, after the first time the day after I bought a new car, I got a big screw punched through right at the side of the tread from work being done in my parking garage. Nothing worse than having to buy a new tire right after shelling out so much for a new car.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good advice!

How much does road hazard cost at NTB? is it just tires or also wheels?

I've bent 2 rimson vehicles, and they can be pricey! I opted for the tire and wheel insurance offered at the dealership.....it was about $295 for everything, no deductables, and covers both tires and rims. with the road conditions around here, I really don't want to have to start replacing 19" tires or rims because of failing to see a pothole!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd have to look up exact price it was on the Michelin MXZ4's that I bought this fall for my Audi wagon. I think it was a percentage of the price of the tire...and covers just the tires, not the rims. However, I never asked about wheel insurance. I'm certain that the cost was under $100 for all 4 tires.

·
Registered
231 Posts
that's pretty reasonable.....I need to get a new set for my Audi some time this spring, and I'll definitely consider the insurance.

·
Registered
523 Posts
This is why I wish they would put Firestones on all GM vehicles, I have them on my truck and no matter how old they are or if you purchased them from a different tire shop the Firestone Master Care Centers will rotate and do flat repairs for free. I take my truck every 6000 miles and have the tires rotated and have had a flat repair once for exactly $0. And they get my truck in and out in about 30 min. This is a great business practice because I plan on buying my next tires from them. Just thought I'd give my 3 cents worth.

P.S. Yes KJF inflation caused another rise. ;D

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a 99 Explorer with the 'splodin' Firestones. (I think it had to do more with Ford's stupid recommendation of 26psi, but that is just me). Anyhow- after you have had 'splodin' tires, you never want that brand again!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know all about the Firestones exploding but as you said it was Fords problem not Firestones if I lowered the pressure in my truck tires to 26 psi they'd blow up to, so personally I just wouldn't buy a Ford since their engineers are idiots and thought a tire would be safe at 26 psi.

·
Registered
231 Posts
we drove a 1998 Merc Mountaineer (Explorer clone) until 2007, and it had the Firestone tires. We scored a new set of tires during the recall, and never once had a problem on either the original or replacement tires. I mean, we didn't even have a flat tire in the 8+ years of driving it (and about 125K+ miles), let alone a blowout.

Of course, I kept them inflated to about 32-35psi, and not the ridiculously low level from Ford.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts