GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot_1 asked this question under "Summit White Pictures" --I thought it might deserve a new topic thread.

shot_1 said:
would aftermarket rims effect the tire pressure monitoring system?
I have replaced wheels on Corvettes with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. You just move them to the new wheels and have the system relearn. I also replaced the batteries at the time.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Information
A tire pressure monitor (TPM) system is used on Cadillacs, Chevrolet Corvettes, and other GM vehicles.

Components
There is a separate sensor/transmitter in each wheel. The TPM system shares the receiver with the keyless entry system. Data from the receiver is displayed on the instrument panel, using the driver information center (DIC).

Sensors
The sensor, with built-in valve stem, is inserted from the inside of the wheel, through a hole in the rim. It is retained by a nut (4 N.m, 35 lb. in.) and is sealed by a grommet. A lithium battery with a design life of 10 years powers the sensor.
Each sensor is coded differently. This permits the receiver to determine exactly which tire is over or under-inflated.

Operation
The sensors operate only above 20 mph (32 kph) and transmit once per hour when parked, to preserve battery power.
If the pressure in a tire rises or falls outside the calibration limits, the condition is displayed by the DIC.
Service
The sensors are lightweight, only about an ounce (28 g), and this small weight is easily accounted for during normal tire balancing.
Each sensor is coded differently. This permits the receiver to determine exactly which tire is over or under-inflated.

Operation
The sensors operate only above 20 mph (32 kph) and transmit once per hour when parked, to preserve battery power.
If the pressure in a tire rises or falls outside the calibration limits, the condition is displayed by the DIC.
Service
The sensors are lightweight, only about an ounce (28 g), and this small weight is easily accounted for during normal tire balancing.

From the Owners Manual:
RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS
After rotating the tires or after replacing a tire or sensor, the Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system must re-learn the tire positions.
Resetting the TPMS Identification Codes
Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. Any time you rotate your vehicle’s tires or replace one or more of the TPMS sensors, the identification codes need to be matched to the new tire/wheel position. The sensors are
matched to the tire/wheel positions in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear tire using a TPMS diagnostic tool. See your dealer/retailer for service.
The TPMS sensors can also be matched to each tire/wheel position by increasing or decreasing the tire’s air pressure. If increasing the tire’s air pressure, do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure indicated on the tire’s sidewall. To decrease air-pressure out of a tire you can use the pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style
air pressure gage, or a key. You have two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than two minutes to match the first tire and wheel, or
more than five minutes to match all four tire and wheel positions, the matching process stops and you will need to start over.[/color]

Probably more info than you needed. Photos attached as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
There will be an update sometime in the next couple of months so if you signed up for OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics Email, it will show you the tire pressure in each wheel when you get your email.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I plan to get snow tires mounted on a separate set of rims. I hadn't even thought about the pressure monitoring system.

It's not really important to me to have this information available. Can I skip the sensors on the second set of wheels, or will I get some error message flashing at me constantly all winter long?!? ???

If I need a second set of sensors where would you find them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xcskier said:
I plan to get snow tires mounted on a separate set of rims. I hadn't even thought about the pressure monitoring system.

It's not really important to me to have this information available. Can I skip the sensors on the second set of wheels, or will I get some error message flashing at me constantly all winter long?!? ???

If I need a second set of sensors where would you find them?

Thanks.
I can not find any solid info on what would the TPMS do if no sensor info, but on the older systems, you just get a "battery low" or "no signal" msg on the DIC. You just push the "reset button" and it went away. Small pain.

As for purchasing a spare, since the Acadia is so new, I have just gone to the dealer Parts Dept, gotten the part number, and then I'd order the part thru www.gmpartsdirect.com. The Tire Pressure sensors should run about $50-$60 ea and you should be able to get for about $35 or so from a discount place, like www.gmpartsdirect.com

Hope that helps

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for posting this! Great info! :thumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the great help. Obviously, I have a lot of time to figure all this out. My vehicle isn't even due until late May, and I won't need snow tires until next winter.

The question of tire pressure monitoring had just never even entered my mind! One of the "costs" of a high-tech vehicle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a base Acadia: Can I view the actual tire pressure in the DIC, or does it just light up an ICON on the dash when the tire is out of Spec.?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the SLT-2 with DIC buttons so I do not personally know, but the Owners manual says you get the tire pressure info and can even program the system to relearn sensor positions such as after rotating your tires.

From the Owners Manual:
DIC Operation and Displays (Without DIC Buttons)[/color]If your vehicle does not have DIC buttons, the information below explains the operation of this system.
The DIC has different displays which can be accessed by pressing the trip odometer reset stem [/color] located on the instrument panel cluster. Pressing the trip odometer reset stem will also turn off, or acknowledge, DIC messages.
The DIC displays trip and vehicle system information, and warning messages if a system problem is detected.
If your vehicle does not have DIC buttons, you can use the trip odometer reset stem to view [/color] the following displays: odometer, trip odometers, oil life, park assist menu for vehicles with the Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (URPA) system, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system programming[/color], Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter programming, units, and display language.

The pressure for each tire can be viewed in the DIC. The tire pressure will be shown in either pounds [/color] per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). Press the vehicle information button until the DIC displays FRONT TIRES PSI (kPa) LEFT ## RIGHT ##. Press the vehicle information button again until the DIC displays REAR TIRES PSI (kPa) LEFT ## RIGHT ##. If a low or high tire pressure condition is detected by the system while driving, a message advising you to check the pressure in a specific tire will appear in the display. If the tire pressure display shows dashes instead of a value, there may be a problem with your vehicle. If this consistently occurs, see your dealer/retailer for service.[/color]

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts