GMC Acadia Forum banner

tire monitoring system has failed

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  scotted73 
#1 ·
I've got a little yellow warning light on the dash in the shape of a tire, and the CPU is reporting the tire monitoring system isn't working.

It was working fine - I went to the gas station and filled the tires. Then I pressed the check button for it to relearn. I noticed as I was filling them up that they were reporting the wrong tires - I must have had then rotated and never told it to relearn.

So I pressed the "relearn" button on the CPU, the horn beeped twice, and that was that. Now I've got this error/warning and it won't go away. I hate to go to the dealer for this. Anyone know any tricks to reset it?

#2 ·
I'd have to re-read the owner's manual again to be sure, but after the horn beeps that is your indication to either add air to the proper tire, or let some air out...this is how it "re-learns" the position. And you only have a certain amount of time (seconds) to get out of the vehicle and do this. The vehicle won't simply re-learn the positions automatically by just pressing the button on the dash. If you do this method 4 separate times for each tire and still get a warning light, then I'd guess something is wrong with tire pressure monitor system.

#3 ·
From the owner's manual: :thumb:

The TPMS sensor matching process is outlined
below:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON with the
engine off.
3. Using the DIC, press the vehicle information
button until the RELEARN TIRE
POSITIONS message displays. If your vehicle
does not have the DIC buttons, press the trip
odometer reset stem located on the instrument
panel cluster until the RELEARN TIRE
POSITIONS message displays.
4. If your vehicle has the DIC buttons, press the
set/reset button. The horn sounds twice to
indicate the TPMS receiver is ready, and the
TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message
displays. If your vehicle does not have the
DIC buttons, press and hold the trip odometer
reset stem until the horn chirps twice and
the TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message
is displayed.
5. Start with the driver side front tire. The driver
side front turn signal lamp is on.
6. Remove the valve cap from the valve stem.
Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing
or decreasing the tire’s air pressure for
five seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds.
The horn chirp, which may take up to
30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor
identification code has been matched to this
tire and wheel position.
7. Proceed to the passenger side front tire.
The passenger side front turn signal lamp is on.
Repeat the procedure in Step 6.
8. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire.
The passenger side rear turn signal lamp is on.
Repeat the procedure in Step 6.
9. Proceed to the driver side rear tire. The driver
side rear turn signal lamp is on. Repeat the
procedure in Step 6. Instead of a single horn
chirp a double horn chirp signals the TPMS
sensor has been matched to this tire and wheel
position and the matching process is no longer
active.
10. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
11. Set all four tires to the recommended air
pressure level as indicated on the Tire and
Loading Information label.
12. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

#4 ·
Dalejr: My service guys HATE rotating the tires on the Acadia. It was the same for the Yukon Denali. They have so many seconds and it involves so many steps, I'm sure it is not fun for them. Just my 2 cents. ;)

denemante:If you are having problem with message I would take it back to dealer. You might even have a bad sensor.

#5 ·
vic49 said:
Dalejr: My service guys HATE rotating the tires on the Acadia. It was the same for the Yukon Denali. They have so many seconds and it involves so many steps, I'm sure it is not fun for them. Just my 2 cents. ;)

denemante:If you are having problem with message I would take it back to dealer. You might even have a bad sensor.
vic49 - Do you take it to the GM dealer? According to what I am told, the dealer has a device they plug into the car after rotating the tires and it automatically re-calibrates with a push of a button without the running around the car.

#7 ·
vic49 said:

I think it's called being a bit lazy.
I've gone through the relearning process twice as I rotate my own tires. Of course I don't do as many rotations as the typical service tech, but it's not a complicated process. Plus, by removing air, you are testing the system to ensure that it works.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.