GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have opted for the upgraded 19" tires as oppose to the standard 18". Any idea on what the larger, albeit small, diameter may have on performance, ride and fuel consumption?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think the wheel size will have a noticeable affect on fuel economy. Otherwise, the EPA would have to give a different numbers for them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The outside diameter of the the 18 and 19 tires are essentially the same.
The major difference is the rim size and tire profile (height or thickness).
The 19's are goodyear eagles, the 18's are goodyear fortera.
Check out goodyear.com for specs.

·
Registered
752 Posts
With the 18's you have about one more inch of rubber between you and the road. This should make your ride a little smoother. But you would probably have to find a kinda bumpy road to feel the difference. I doubt you would notice it on a freeway.
From what I have read, the 18's are definitely better in the snow (well, they are MS rated).
I would think that the 19's would corner a tad better, but I would hate to get aggressive enough to find out.
No clue on the wear, I would think the 18's would wear better since MS typically have a stiffer compound.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The 18" Goodyear Fortera's actually have a layer of kevlar built into them, they will defenitely wear better - that is also why they cost more than the 19"s to replace ($118 (19") compared to $161(18")) the Fortera's have a 70,000 mile treadlife warranty while the Goodyear Eagle RS -A's do not even have a treadlife warranty (based on information listed in Tirerack.com).

·
Registered
217 Posts
johnway said:
The 18" Goodyear Fortera's actually have a layer of kevlar built into them, they will defenitely wear better - that is also why they cost more than the 19"s to replace ($118 (19") compared to $161(18")) the Fortera's have a 70,000 mile treadlife warranty while the Goodyear Eagle RS -A's do not even have a treadlife warranty (based on information listed in Tirerack.com).
Just a slight correction to the above. The Fortera HL is the tire that comes on the Acadia, not the Fortera Silent Armor which has the kevlar. The Fortera HL does not have Kevlar and has a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. Still a better tire than the RS-A, IMO. I don't really consider the RS-A an upgrade to the Fortera HL, except maybe for its higher H speed rating and its "bigger" look on the 19" wheel. It's too bad the Acadia doesn't offer the Michelin 19" tire available on the Enclave.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Snoguy said:
johnway said:
Just a slight correction to the above. The Fortera HL is the tire that comes on the Acadia, not the Fortera Silent Armor which has the kevlar. The Fortera HL does not have Kevlar and has a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. Still a better tire than the RS-A, IMO. I don't really consider the RS-A an upgrade to the Fortera HL, except maybe for its higher H speed rating and its "bigger" look on the 19" wheel. It's too bad the Acadia doesn't offer the Michelin 19" tire available on the Enclave.
I stand corrected, you are right, they only have a 60K warranty. I thought all Fortera's had the silent armor but I found on Goodyears web site there is a difference between Fortera's and Fortera HL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts