GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the manual says not to use them, but I also know there are some pretty low profile ones out there. Has anyone had any luck? Spike spiders are too freakin expensive for the amount of snow we get around here, and while the traction control works fairly well, today for example, its a ticket if you are out without chains on the tires.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you do a search you'll find a number of threads on the subject. I have used the cable type (which is what the manual is referring to when they suggest using "chain alternatives") successfully with the Acadia and there are photos and details in existing threads.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you go with the cable type as seen in the photo on blue's link above you will see very tight clearances. Tire flex you will also have to consider. We used the cable type on the city buses. When they break body and other damage occurs. We have had mud flaps,air bags,brake lines,flat tires,abs harness,etc all torn out. The cable types must be removed before the snow is off the street. If you drive in less then a few inches of packed snow or clean pavement the cables will break. Be careful!

Bobby

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had to buy a set of SCC Super Z Lt tire cables from a local sports/auto store.... last place I went.

I ran no faster than 20MPH with them "on the front as GM recommends" if you do use them.

I drove to the dealer in the snow storm for a minor check up and for them to find out why my air bag light came on.

They gave me some flack about the cables and we noticed that only minor contact had taken place on the bottom of the strut base (cup if you will). It was like someone had taken a scraper and just nudged the paint off of the cup of the strut.

I would NOT drive for long distances with them on and not above 20MPH. My box said not above 30MPH... but to me with the centrifical force at higher speeds expanding the cable would create serious damage to the strut cup/bottom... no doubt. The clearance is minimal between the base of the strut as well as the front of the inner fender liner. Chains would be a big NO!

While at the dealership the techs brought me in the back to show me an Acadia that was brought in for service that had FWD and had chains on the back --- oh boy! :D

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
3rd Timer said:
While at the dealership the techs brought me in the back to show me an Acadia that was brought in for service that had FWD and had chains on the back --- oh boy! :D

HAHAHA, that deserves an idiot award. HAHAHAHA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.