GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All garage doors installed in the past several years require light beams to alert the opener if something is blocking the door opening. Usually, the installer will install these beams at the floor level. I have raised them up to be even with the bumper of my Acadia. Thus, if I did not pull the vehicle all the way in the garage, the door will not close and the opener light will flash to alert me to move the car up.

This is a "duh" as I should have learned from scratching the two vans I had before getting the Acadia. Fortunately, I made the adjustment before the Acadia got scratched.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
But how can you run out of the garage when you press the wall button to close the door? You can't hop over the beam anymore. ;D

Actually that's a really good idea. I'm always paranoid about the garage door. I always look when I get out of the vehicle, ready to dive and break the beam, even though it's never been close!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I duck under. It's good practice for the Limbo.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
lagunasrfr said:
All garage doors installed in the past several years require light beams to alert the opener if something is blocking the door opening. Usually, the installer will install these beams at the floor level. I have raised them up to be even with the bumper of my Acadia. Thus, if I did not pull the vehicle all the way in the garage, the door will not close and the opener light will flash to alert me to move the car up.
I would rather scratch my car, then adjust the hieght of the beam and risk the door coming down on a kid or animal. I am careful to let none of these situations occur.

·
Registered
48 Posts
lagunasrfr said:

This is a "duh" as I should have learned from scratching the two vans I had before getting the Acadia. Fortunately, I made the adjustment before the Acadia got scratched.
Park-Zone makes an inexpensive system that electronically measures the distance of your front bumper to the front wall of your garage. As you pull into the garage the 3 stage light that you mount on the wall shows green, yellow and then red when you are in the proper distance that you set. I got mine on Amazon for $20 and it works great. You can check it out at www.measurement-ltd.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, we had our Acadia for about 10 days, I had the rear hatch open and the wife came home and hit the opener in the other car about 3 houses down, not seeing that it was already open. Well, it closed on the hatch and scrapped about 3" or paint off about 1/4" wide before there was enough resistance to stop. :eek:hno: :banghead:

Now we get it repainted next month :-\ I've since adjusted the safety stop to a lower resistance and installed a small rubber protector strip to the part of the garage door that did the damage in case it happens again. :cheers:

-Cody

·
Registered
43 Posts
We just hung a tennis ball from the ceiling using string. When the tennis ball hits the windshield the vehicle is far enough in. Works great and extremely inexpensive. We don't have people walking through the garage very much, so the tennis ball hanging from the ceiling doesn't get in the way; however, just in case we have a group of people in the garage for some strange reason, I put a small eye hook in the ceiling to easily remove the tennis ball. The string is attached to the tennis ball by putting a cotton pin through the ball and attaching the string to the cottonp pin. We also put a rubber strip on the garage door, but we did that so we can open the rear cargo door while the vehicle is in the garage without the door making contact to the metal portion of the garage door. Works great.

·
Registered
51 Posts
cybergroove said:
We just hung a tennis ball from the ceiling using string. When the tennis ball hits the windshield the vehicle is far enough in. Works great and extremely inexpensive. We don't have people walking through the garage very much, so the tennis ball hanging from the ceiling doesn't get in the way; however, just in case we have a group of people in the garage for some strange reason, I put a small eye hook in the ceiling to easily remove the tennis ball. The string is attached to the tennis ball by putting a cotton pin through the ball and attaching the string to the cottonp pin. We also put a rubber strip on the garage door, but we did that so we can open the rear cargo door while the vehicle is in the garage without the door making contact to the metal portion of the garage door. Works great.
I've got a tennis ball on a string too. Works great.

My mother-in-law thought it was there to keep us from running into the back wall of the garage, so she stopped short of the ball. The garage door just missed the bumper by a 1/4" or so. Whew

·
Registered
249 Posts
My father-in-law went and bought one of these...works great. Sometimes the simplest things are best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
cybergroove

Re: Tip - Garage Door Hitting Rear-End
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 02:39:34 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We just hung a tennis ball from the ceiling using string. When the tennis ball hits the windshield the vehicle is far enough in. Works great and extremely inexpensive. We don't have people walking through the garage very much, so the tennis ball hanging from the ceiling doesn't get in the way; however, just in case we have a group of people in the garage for some strange reason, I put a small eye hook in the ceiling to easily remove the tennis ball. The string is attached to the tennis ball by putting a cotton pin through the ball and attaching the string to the cottonp pin. We also put a rubber strip on the garage door, but we did that so we can open the rear cargo door while the vehicle is in the garage without the door making contact to the metal portion of the garage door. Works great.[/color]
Is this the rubber strip?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cody 251,

I had the exact same thing happen to our Outlook. My two yr old pushed the garage door opener while the tailgate was up inside the garage. Put a nice 4 inch scrape and small dent right on the tailgate below the handle. I was sick to my stomach for a day. I got some touch up paint from the dealer and that helped a bit. Haven't explored a full repair yet. Let us know what your repair cost ended up being.
To protect the gate from hitting the garage door, I ended up using a foam noodle (the kind for the pool) and cut it into a few small pieces to cover the metal ribs of the garage door. Works like a charm and cost about 2 dollars.

·
Registered
262 Posts
kidhlr said:
lagunasrfr said:

Park-Zone makes an inexpensive system that electronically measures the distance of your front bumper to the front wall of your garage. As you pull into the garage the 3 stage light that you mount on the wall shows green, yellow and then red when you are in the proper distance that you set. I got mine on Amazon for $20 and it works great. You can check it out at www.measurement-ltd.com/
That is really neat! I'm gonna order 2 of em.

·
Registered
126 Posts
bonk1313 said:
lagunasrfr said:
I would rather scratch my car, then adjust the hieght of the beam and risk the door coming down on a kid or animal. I am careful to let none of these situations occur.

My thought also :thumb:

·
Registered
614 Posts
To keep someone else (not me!) from pulling up too far I used a cement patio square where the left front wheel ends up to stop the Acadia, and to protect the back I used zip ties to hold the water pipe foam insulation wrap in place on the ribs of the garage door, they work same as a swimming noodle but you don't have to slit them and they are ready to use!

I don't want to move the garage door sensors up because with the old garage door without the sensors a cat got mushed under it when it closed. He lived but it looked painful for a second or two before I could get the door back up and off of him. Like this guy>>> :eek:

·
Registered
381 Posts
You can also purchase these yellow "bumps" that indicate full vehicle enclosure. You get them for each front wheel or one. We somehow got one when we ordered something for one of our vehicles - but it wasn't on the receipt.

I've never used it, but our car rarely gets garaged...so I haven't missed it...

·
Registered
70 Posts
lagunasrfr said:
All garage doors installed in the past several years require light beams to alert the opener if something is blocking the door opening. Usually, the installer will install these beams at the floor level. I have raised them up to be even with the bumper of my Acadia.
I could be wrong, but I believe it is illegal to raise them higher than 12"(or something like that). Not that you would ever get a fine for it, just if you sold your house and had a home inspection, it would be out of code. I just remember the last garage door opener I put in said something about a law stating the beams could only be so high off the floor.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Wow. Illegal to mount them high. Good thing I did not get busted years ago.

The first one I installed was a few houses back. I replaced an opener that did not have the sensors. I was in a hurry and did not have time to run the wires so I pointed the sensors at each other and taped them to the top of the opener about 2 inches apart. It stayed that way for awhile. We joked that if a mouse got up there and ran between them the door would reverse.

I had to install them properly when we sold the house so it would pass inspection. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts