GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my windows tinted. It's not perfect and I will not recommend Line-X in Tacoma Washington to others, but it will have to do. If it is permissible I would like to make a specific thread about why it is that I am so angry at Line-X, and what happened to me at their store in Tacoma. I Admin will Okay it I will gladly share my experience with the entire world.

That said, this is how it looks with the front windows tinted. It dramatically reduces the heat from the sun on your face, and it really does look great as far as them being tinted, but as I said, I'm not real happy about the service I received.

Here's a link to a picture http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/daniel1060/TintJob009.jpg

I would also like to get permission to post a favorable thread thanking my dealer, and especially the salesmen at my dealer. So if Adm will give the nod I will do just that.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
As stated in a previous thread please feel free to post positive or negative about dealers and/or 3rd party service providers.

It's not loikethe bad press is unwarrantedif theydid a shoddy job. Same thing for a job well done.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I really think so too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Man the tint looks good, and the 19's look great on the white. For some reason they dont seem to look as good on the silver to me. IMHO.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was originally going with the red jewell tint with ebony, but after I saw this Summit whit one I said something like, "Dang thats nice" "SOLD!"

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
That looks great! Unfortunately, here in IL, you do that to your front windows, you're just begging the police to pull you over.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That tint looks a little dark, is that legal mil in Washington?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dan - looks awesome! What % tint did you go for on the front? Really makes the Acadia stand out a lot more....looks really, really, good!

Feel free to tell us about your tint shop too...it could give others insight in what to look out for when getting crappy service. If you weren't happy with them...say what's on your mind. You did after all pay for the service and naming names isn't going to stop anyone....it just gives others a heads-up if they ever visit the place.
:thumb:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tinter didn't even ask what level of tint I wanted. When I asked if he was going to ask he said "no". This bothered me, but I am working on staying calm. Then I asked him if it was going to match the other windows. He said "yeah". It doesn't.
For those who don't know, you don't have to tint the fronts to the same degree of darkness as the rest of your windows. You may choose to tint them to 50%, 20%, or 75% etc.. The law in the state of Washington is specific as to how dark they may be, and that generally is what is on the vehicle already. But as I said before, if you want to have them just a little lighter they can do that as well.

Now I will start a new thread and give the whole story of why I will not go back to Line-X in Tacoma Washington to get my windows tinted.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
What is the law in Illinois regarding tinted windows?
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield.
Unless you have a medical certification from a doctor because you are allergic to the sun, etc.

Up to a $500 fine in IL for tinted windows on either side of the driver. Granted, people still tint them, but I know first hand some friends who've gotten pulled over for it. While it makes the vehicle look awesome, I'm just not willing to get to know my local police that well when they pull me over all the time for it. ;D

It's nice that the state of WA allows you to do this. Cruddy that you had a horrible experience with the tint shop over it. :(

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why I Won't Go back To Line-X in Tacoma W.A To Get My Windows Tinted

When I decide to get the windows tinted my VERY first concern was for the quality of the job, and the care of my BRAND new $40,000 plus new Acadia, as well as being able to remedy any problems that may occur with the work done. A guy that will do it for you at his home, or on the side of the road somewhere is going to be hard to force to warranty/guarantee his work. This is why I went with a big name company like Line-X. They won't be printing new business card because I am unhappy, and when I file my complaint with the Atty generals office the business will be notified, and it will go on their record.

First thing I did was call and make an appointment three days in advance. When I showed up at 11:00 a.m. , after driving about 50 miles to get there with my three year old in tow, the first thing the guy told me was his tinter was not coming in today. I expressed my complete frustration as I HAD made an appointment, and had made the arrangements to take the day to do this. He said he would call a friend and ask him if he would do it. I explained that wasn't going to work and I wanted the lifetime guarantee that Line-x offers, and some guy down the road is not going to work on my car. Then he suggested that I wait around until 1;00. and he could get it it done. I came back at one.

The time estimate for the work done was "about an hour".

After about an hour of waiting I went back where he was working on the car. I could see the rear end from where I was sitting and had noticed that the lights were on. The stereo was on too. This guy had turned on my ignition to the start position and was listening to my stereo with the doors open. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea to leave the ignition on for over an hour in the on position. That I was afraid he would burn out a sensor or solenoid, or something. This is what he said. "Dude, this is 2008 now, these thing have relays" I corrected his cognitive laps and walked away. For the next two hours he went from the front desk to visiting with his friends all the while he left my ignition on. If I didn't have my boy with me I would have melted down on him. His friends came buy about half way through the job, one even had the balls to go and open my rear hatch to check out my car. I stayed calm. The friends came back about an hour later and talked to him. Now I don't know why his peep's were so interested in him at his job but I got that feeling you get when you know things are not right. I stayed calm. My radio after all was pumping out beautiful music.

After sitting in the waiting room for three hours my car was done. I paid the price and left.

After sitting in the parking lot down the street for a while and inspecting the work, and yes there are a few small bubbles in the corner, and a scratch in the glass, I drove away. As I was going down the highway I went to turn on my navigation and the display went into DVD mode and would not work. The stereo would not work. I could barely get it to power off. All of the buttons that operate the DIC would not work. I was no longer calm. I called them and gave them something to think about. I hate having to do this but I informed the manger that my wife is an Atty I was going to file a complaint with the Atty generals office, as well as the BBB. Then I told him that I would be taking my new $40,000 plus vehicle to the dealer and what ever was wrong with it was going to be paid for by them, not my warranty. He, to his credit wanted to make this right by be, they always do, and offered to pay over the phone with his credit card any charges generated by his employees failure. I hung up, and called my super hero car sales man. This is why I think Mike is so great. At least one of the reasons. He went out WITH THE OWNER of and got in the Acadia the And "fiddled around with that one and came to the conclusion that the installer MUST have taken the NAV disk out of the system. Now I have no idea what Mr Incompetent did, but I will be having my entire system inspected for any problems, and will be send the bill to Line-X.

When I got home I pulled the Nav disk out as this was still an option and the system recalibrated and that now works. I have no Idea what else may have happened to me vehicle as a result of the the mistreatment of my new car.

This is why I will not recommend to anyone to ever go to Line-X in Tacoma Washington.

Dan.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I got pulled over in Michigan for tinted windows. They really weren't dark at all. The only thing that saved me was my Texas drivers and the dumb blonde act!!

I think yours look good, but I'm so sorry it was a bad experience.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Re: Why I Won't Go back To Line-X in Tacoma W.A To Get My Windows Tinted

wow if that was me and they were messing around with ANY of my cars like that i would call the manager then. it is MY property and if i tell them something that they shouldn't do with my stuff they should listen or i am going to have to take action :angryfire: :angryfire:. That is a horrible experience, my head would have been through the roof :angryfire: :angryfire: :banghead: :banghead: :soapbox: :soapbox:. sorry about your terrible experience i hope every thing is of with your Acadia.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: Why I Won't Go back To Line-X in Tacoma W.A To Get My Windows Tinted

Dan-M said:
This is why I think Mike is so great. At least one of the reasons. He went out WITH THE OWNER of Cornforth Campbell and got in the Acadia the Mr Campbell drives. And "fiddled around with that one and came to the conclusion that the installer MUST have taken the NAV disk out of the system. Now I have no idea what Mr Incompetent did, but I will be having my entire system inspected for any problems, and will be send the bill to Line-X.

When I got home I pulled the Nav disk out as this was still an option and the system recalibrated and that now works. I have no Idea what else may have happened to me vehicle as a result of the the mistreatment of my new car.

This is why I will not recommend to anyone to ever go to Line-X in Tacoma Washington.
You were a lot calmer than I would be in that situation. :hot:

Since it is no simple matter to take out the nav disk, along with the fact that I can see not reason for somone tinting
windows to have any reason to touch the nav system in the first place, I'd have the dealer go over the entire vehicle
from front to back with a fine tooth comb. No telling what else that dipwad and his friends did. :banghead: :banghead:

Also, I'd tell your dealer to send Line-X a bill for a new battery as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts