GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I received a notice in the mail that it was time to renew my yearly subscription to AAA--Chicago Motor Club. This is a Roadside assistance program for those not familiar with it. I have a basic membership costing about $45 to renew. I've had to use their services in the past prior to getting the Acadia for towing services, and you can also show your card to save money at participating hotels, car rentals, restaurants, etc. Its even come in handy once when I got pulled over for speeding and was able to hand over my card as a bond card in lieu of my driver's license.

However I now have Onstar with the Acadia and like the fact that I can simply push a button and let the advisor use the GPS locator to send help. There are no additional shopping savings, and hopefully I won't need it for speeding again, but there is a certain convenience and feeling of safety having the service. It also seems a waste to have it on the car and never use it for lack of a current membership. Cost per year though is $199 for the safe and sound program only. Directions addition costs another $100 per year.

What are the rest of you doing?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
When the OnStar expired after the first free year in my last Vue, I didn't intend on renewing it due to the cost. But after about two months of being expired, OnStar offered me a discount. I think it was like 12 bucks a month. Which isn't THAT much cheaper, but still it was cheaper, so I took it.

I'm not sure whether or not I'll renew on my Acadia or not. It's coming up in March. I can definitely say I won't renew the Directions package. I already have a Garmin GPS unit. No sense in paying that extra $100 a year when OnStar won't even tell me what side of the street my destination is on (I had a problem with that on Friday night... bleh). At least my Garmin does that. It's very helpful. And the OnStar also didn't tell me whether I had to take the East or West exit at Irving Park Rd. either. So that got me all turned around. I wasn't having much luck with it on Friday night. :-\

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hey Web Raven, not to change the subject (but, I will). How is that vibration going? Is it still there at 45mph?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I will renew On-Star with Turn by Turn. I will also get AAA as I only have On-Star on one vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will probably renew both Onstar and AAA. I might wait on onstar and see if they offer a discount but I'll get it w/out the directions as I have Nav. I think AAA is worth adding since it will cover my 2nd veh and I can use it for any friends vehicle that I'm riding in if we have a problem. I also hit up the AAA office a few times a year for travel books and maps. Even with nav I like to have a full map to be able to visualize a whole route and any side trips I may want to take :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Keeping the basic package from Onstar is really cheap if you consider the 5% reduction on your car insurance. At that point the convenience of having it outweighs the cost.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
marc said:
Keeping the basic package from Onstar is really cheap if you consider the 5% reduction on your car insurance. At that point the convenience of having it outweighs the cost.
Can you explain this more? I don't think I know what this is. A 5% reduction because I have OnStar? Is this only certain insurance companies that offer this? Maybe I am getting the discount and hadn't realized it, or maybe I need to get a credit from my insurance agency (Allstate).

·
Registered
217 Posts
imgntht said:
marc said:
Can you explain this more? I don't think I know what this is. A 5% reduction because I have OnStar? Is this only certain insurance companies that offer this? Maybe I am getting the discount and hadn't realized it, or maybe I need to get a credit from my insurance agency (Allstate).
You probably need to contact your insurance company and let them know your Acadia has Onstar. I don't think that all insurance companies offer a discount. My insurance company (GMAC) asked me if I had Onstar when I added my Acadia to my policy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Acadia4me said:
I will probably renew both Onstar and AAA. I might wait on onstar and see if they offer a discount but I'll get it w/out the directions as I have Nav. I think AAA is worth adding since it will cover my 2nd veh and I can use it for any friends vehicle that I'm riding in if we have a problem. I also hit up the AAA office a few times a year for travel books and maps. Even with nav I like to have a full map to be able to visualize a whole route and any side trips I may want to take :)
Don't forget all of the places that offer a AAA discount such as hotels and entetainment venues. I recently went to the Experience Music Project (EMP) in Seattle and the AAA discount beat out Military and student rates.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My AAA membership was recently up for renewal. I received a solicitation in the mail from GM motor club. I paid $59 for the year (goes up to $69 next year and after). That covers both my wife and I (any other members of the family also) and all our vehicles. I goes with the person so I can be in someone elses vehicle and use it. The thing I like about it is that you still can receive discounts at places, but more importantly there is no towing restriction. With AAA it was 5 miles with the basic membership before you would start paying or 100 miles with the premium. For one basic and one premium, which is what I had it was over $91 per year. The kicker is since I had the basic membership since I was driving the newer car, if I ever drove our old car and needed towing I was limited to 5 miles. The family coverage is the main reason and the unlimited towing. Here is the website in case anyone is interested.

http://www.gmmotorclub.com/standardsite/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts