GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Thule Evolution roof box that I am wondering if that fits on the 08 Acadia stock roof cross rails
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Evolution is actually a series of Thule boxes that are available in a number of sizes and configurations. I have an Evolution 1200 which is the 12 cu ft long and narrow (ideal for skis) box and it works fine. I believe all the Evolution boxes use the same "C clamp from the bottom" system of attachment and they work fine with the OEM Acadia bars. I have also use the 16 cu ft box from the newer Atlantis line with its "dialed from the top" clamping system and it works great too, even faster than the Evolution system.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Would you mind commenting on how much this changes your MPG on a trip? One of the few things I miss about our bigger SUV is when we travel the third row is always down for luggage storage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
From what i can tell the penalty is negligable. Probably one mile per gallon or less, but as I've only had the vehicle for a year, I've only used it on a few trips that have been less then a couple of hundred miles. On those trips the vehicle has also been loaded with five people and stuffed tight with camping materials in the back so the full load would have some penalty with or without a box on top. I have more experience with the box over a number of years with my Audi wagon where I would say the penalty was 1 to 2 mpg but with that vehicle the box was much larger in proportion to the size and mass of the vehicle and it hung further over the front. On the Acadia the box is much more out of the airflow and I would have to do much more measuring before I would even say the penalty is one whole mpg. Also I would add that I hear no windnoise difference whatsoever with the box up there (unlike my Audi) which is a good thing in terms of noting the airflow that it is resisting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Re: Thule Atlantis 1600

GerryL said:
Evolution is actually a series of Thule boxes that are available in a number of sizes and configurations. I have an Evolution 1200 which is the 12 cu ft long and narrow (ideal for skis) box and it works fine. I believe all the Evolution boxes use the same "C clamp from the bottom" system of attachment and they work fine with the OEM Acadia bars. I have also use the 16 cu ft box from the newer Atlantis line with its "dialed from the top" clamping system and it works great too, even faster than the Evolution system.
i wanted to know how much of the roof the atlantis 1600 covers, i haven't been able to see one installed down here in miami, and there's not a lot of dealers around... does it cover the front sunroof completely? have you used it for suitcases before? thanks in advance :thumb:....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Thanks for the info. and photo GerryL. I was in the garage tonight measuring the same Thule box for my 4 day old Acadia, and wondering what the best set up would be. Your picture helped a lot.

First post, numerous guest visits during my search, very helpful forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Okay, a similar Thule box, I have the Evolution 1800. Has anyone gathered any MPG information when using one of the Evolution series boxes? I read somewhere that in general you can expect a 6 MPG reduction in mileage with a roof box, but can not believe that these would be more than 1-2 MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
I travel extensively with a thule box, and have never seen a drop of 6 mpg's.
1-3 is typical, and depends how fast you drive.
When doing >80 mph, you'll see a measurable drop (about 3 mpg).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Re: Thule Atlantis 1600

guillecuban said:
GerryL said:
Evolution is actually a series of Thule boxes that are available in a number of sizes and configurations. I have an Evolution 1200 which is the 12 cu ft long and narrow (ideal for skis) box and it works fine. I believe all the Evolution boxes use the same "C clamp from the bottom" system of attachment and they work fine with the OEM Acadia bars. I have also use the 16 cu ft box from the newer Atlantis line with its "dialed from the top" clamping system and it works great too, even faster than the Evolution system.
i wanted to know how much of the roof the atlantis 1600 covers, i haven't been able to see one installed down here in miami, and there's not a lot of dealers around... does it cover the front sunroof completely? have you used it for suitcases before? thanks in advance :thumb:....
Here's the only photo I have with the Atlantis 16 cu ft box. I don't have the sunroof so I can't comment on that but in the photo you can see that it extends just a bit into the forward rail end black cap
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Re: Thule Atlantis 1600

very nice... i just got mine and can't wait to use on a trip to naples, fl on the 4th of july weekend.... and i guess you got it as close as possible to the xm antenna ;), thanks !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Re: Thule Atlantis 1600

i'm sorry it took me this long but here are some pics with the thule atlantis 1600... :thumb:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I went to the Thule official website (thuleracks.com) and their 'rack your car' evaluator says that there is no thule products that is available for the Acadia currently. But we all know (and seen) that either Thule or Yakima cargo boxes can be installed. Even the GMC website has options to install a Thule cargo box. So the question is, is it really safe to install a cargo box? Is there a speed limitation? I ordered the Ascent 604 which is due to arrive this week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
preytor said:
I went to the Thule official website (thuleracks.com) and their 'rack your car' evaluator says that there is no thule products that is available for the Acadia currently. But we all know (and seen) that either Thule or Yakima cargo boxes can be installed. Even the GMC website has options to install a Thule cargo box. So the question is, is it really safe to install a cargo box? Is there a speed limitation? I ordered the Ascent 604 which is due to arrive this week.
same thing happened to me when i went to their website but i saw pictures of those in this forum and went to amazon.com and got it for around 400.00. my trip was only 100 miles away so i only drove at maybe 85 miles/hour max and it didn't move (i can tell u cause i looked at it trough the sunroof a couple of times) i hope the one u ordered works for u :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
preytor said:
Thanks! What brand and model did you get?
i got the thule atlantis 1600, if you scroll up you can see a couple of pics posted...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Re: Thule Evolution antenna interference

Has anyone experienced any problems with XM or FM reception problems with the cargo box being so close to the antenna?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Re: Thule Evolution antenna interference

TOMEGLOCK said:
Has anyone experienced any problems with XM or FM reception problems with the cargo box being so close to the antenna?
I have not had any problems on XM or FM with either of the boxes that I've used. I got rid of OnStar years ago though so I can't speak to the phone reception.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top