GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum I recently (as of last Friday) now own a 2008 GMC Acadia SLE and
loving it. I was wondering how useful the throttle body spacer is on the 3.6L V6 engine?? Also
does the K&N filter help at all?? Thanks for your time.

Travis Spanke

·
Registered
294 Posts
The K&N filter may help your fuel mileage by about 1/2 mpg. The spacer is a waste of time and money, especially without the accompanying cold air intake (usually a waste of money with the CAI). The K&N filter will save you money in the long run because you won't have to keep replacing the paper panel filter.

Some people say that a K&N filter is bad for your engine. I've had one in my '95 Chevy pickup since '98 (same filter). The truck has right at 200k miles and uses less than a quart of oil between changes. The inside of the filter housing is always 'whistle clean'. I also use the truck in Oklahoma, which has more wind and dust than most areas of the US. In my opinion, they are great filters.

By the way, welcome to the forum Travis! There's a great bunch of folks on here.

Mark

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
On the subject of K&N filters.
I remember reading somewhere, I'll post when I find it,
that the oil on the air filter was somehow effecting the performanece of
the vehicle, in a negative way. I think it was on the vibe/matrix.

Anyone familiar with this situation?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a CAI and K&N on the 03 Envoy I traded on my Acadia and there were no dirveability issues. Just don't over oil it. The Envoy got 17-18 mpg city and a little over 20 highway. It was loud when accelerating hard though. I also have one on my CTS, 25 -28 mpg overall.

·
Registered
423 Posts
the computer will compensate for it after its first drive cycle. if you are looking for performance, you have to do many mods to really get out of it what it is capable. so basically all you are doing is buying a filter that last for a long time, or looks.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
So save your money and just use a regular filter

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I put a K&N on a factory supercharged '96 Pontiac Bonneville and got a couple more PSI of boost with this alone. I have this type of filter on most of my vehicles, and can see the oil on the MAF being a factor if they are over oiled after cleaning.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
So is a K&N filter actually helping the Acadia; or is it a waste of money?

·
Registered
423 Posts
it wont really help. yes, you save money on filters because you can wash and reoil k&n filters. as for the extra boost, you would get more simply because that is in direct relation to exhaust pressure. more in equals more out! those filters are designed for the performance cars and bikes, otherwise just a money saver for the long haul.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The filter alone, would be a waste, I agree. A Cold air Injection kit, wouldn't. I put the K&N Cold Air Intake on my 2002 Avalanche, with a Hypertech Power programmer. It was like a whole new vehicle. No exhaust upgrade either. If I did the exhaust too, Oh man..... Of course my Avalanche had the 8.1L 496 Big Block. I feel you would need a programmer to get the benefit of the CAI on this vehicle though. Let us know what you do.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I don't think a cold air injection is in my future; I guess I will stick with the stock filter

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also did the K&N CAI and larger throttle body with complete catback exhaust and they make a difference on the V8 GMC Sierra. I eventually removed the throttle body and put the stock one back on. It caused the cable to the gas pedal to be much tighter that required a good bit more effort to press the gas pedal down smoothly. I do have the filter only on the acadia. I don't think the throttle body spacers or CAI are going to make much difference on the V6 and from what I have read the stock exhaust is pretty smooth flowing already.

·
Registered
423 Posts
biggs4040 said:
The filter alone, would be a waste, I agree. A Cold air Injection kit, wouldn't. I put the K&N Cold Air Intake on my 2002 Avalanche, with a Hypertech Power programmer. It was like a whole new vehicle. No exhaust upgrade either. If I did the exhaust too, Oh man..... Of course my Avalanche had the 8.1L 496 Big Block. I feel you would need a programmer to get the benefit of the CAI on this vehicle though. Let us know what you do.
the hypertech is what made the difference. if you cant change the programming, all of the add on's wont mean a thang!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a K&N airfilter and recall reading somewhere on this forum about resetting the ecu.

Is a reset necessary and is there a specific process for acadia? Also read on this thread that the computer
will compensate after the first drive cycle. This advice appears to differ from an ecu reset. Is one method
preferred over the other?

Thanks in advance for your input :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts