GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm hoping to find some assistance here. I have a 2012 Acadia with 120,000 miles on it. November 2019, the thing shut down on me after a "Traction Control Unit" error. Had it towed to our trusted shop, new alternator installed. About a month later, battery died, so that was annoying but not a huge deal. December 2020, after gaining only about 3,00 miles during COVID shut down since the last break down, the traction control error and battery saver problems started again. We managed to get it into the shop, and again were told we needed a new alternator. Owner said he guesses we just have bad luck with alternators. Hmmmm.... Less than a month later, the same messages started appearing again, accompanied by vehicle shaking and steering difficulties, and battery service lights, and it finally decided to die again, on the side of the road, as we were trying to get it to the shop. Our NEW mechanic thinks it's again the alternator, and suggested we get a OEM one installed, this time to the tune of $1,000. (The other two cost $600 each).
Is there any other issue that perhaps is being missed? Three alternators in 15 months seems like a bit much -- I'm NOT a car girl, but could putting a nearly twice-the-price OEM part in make that much of a difference? Or is there some weird electrical issues specific to the Acadia that could be mystifying two mechanics? Thanks for any insights,

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
there are posts of folks buying rebuilt alternators that were essentially bad- right out of the box.
I believe one poster got 2 bad units. Finally the OEM worked.
But- there may be other issues. Maybe a grounding issue to the engine?
Any other work done to the vehicle?

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply; I guess we are in the group of bad luck alternator people?!
Other than routine maintenance, and these pesky alternators, we haven't had other work done. There are a few things that act up: The power liftgate doesn't operate correctly - took it to the dealer when there was a factory recall announced and their "fix" of the struts lasted about a week; the power windows stopped working correctly. The driver controls won't operate the front passenger seat window, and the rear door controls won't operate the respective windows. All feels very random - but maybe there's a subtle connection?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More alternators... $1,000 to put in an OEM alternator, less than 50 miles driven and the shaking, stabiltrack and battery errors started flashing. Engine revved a few times randomly. I was able to get to a safe stopping place. When I restarted it ran fine, and made it the 15 miles home with no errors. This feels like it will never end!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts