GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Acadia FWD with the towing package, and am wondering if anyone has towed up to 4500lbs or exceeded that number. I have a track car that I would like to start towing to my local track. The drive is about 120 mi each way and is pretty flat ground, and occasionally I might go as far as 300 mi each way. It wouldn't be more than 3 - 6 times per year, so it makes it hard to justify a tow vehicle. My car weighs in at roughly 3400lbs plus a trailer. I am considering two options for trailers, one is an aluminum that weighs in at 895lbs which would keep me under the towing limit or a steel trailer at 1500 which would put me at 4900lbs. The aluminum costs 5200 where as the steel is 2000. I got some advice from a road racing forum that the steel trailer should be fine because of the short distances, but I would be curious if anyone on here has done anything like that.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think the Combined Gross Vehicle Weight is 9700 lbs.

4500 lbs trailering weight
200 trailering package + driver
5000 lbs Vehicle (Acadia) Weight.
If you add more occupants or cargo, you must deduct from the CGVW.
This will actually lower your available towing capacity by the extra cargo weight.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Don't know your location, but there is a guy in Mayo, FL that builds & sells steel trailers for less than that (at least as of 2006 when I bought mine). I got a 20' dovetail with new tires for $1600. He also sells/sold on ebay. I'm sure you could get a 16~18' one for less. I shopped around after my local places wanted over $2,000 for a 16' model.

I've done all my towing with my '98 5.9L Durango & class 3 hitch. I don't know the towing capacity, but I'm sure it is up there. This trailer is really heavy, and well made.

EDIT:
1998 Duarango 5.9L Towing capacity: 7200 pounds

Trailer company contact info link:
http://www.smithvilleyp.com/Trailer+Mfrs/FL/Mayo

I attached a couple of small pics of it, before and after I added the stake sides, and one with my '88 Supra loaded so you can see how big it is.

BTW, I was able to gain finance committee approval since we were moving & it could haul furniture & "her" stuff as well as my cars. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Given that the Acadia is $30K+, I would stick with the lighter trailer to be safe. But I would also shop around to see if you can get a better price and/or a good used one.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The legal ramifications if you get in a wreck being overweight aside, I think you would be okay with the steel trailer as long as you watch your temperature and dont push the Acadia too much. The strain on the drivetrain would be the problem and taking it easy would alleviate some of that strain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was not feeling good about exceeding the towing limit before this, and the few comments have pushed me away from doing that. I am either going to go with the aluminum or just sell the Acadia and move into a Tahoe/Yukon. Anybody want to buy an 08 Acadia?????

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Given that you have already taken the hit on the depreciation, and with gas prices as high as they are, I bet your long run cost will be lower if you pay a bit more for the trailer and keep the Acadia. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you are thinking about trading then you will definantly be happy towing with a tahoe or suburban. I traded my z71 suburban for the Acadia as I have my silverado for towing. The suburban would tow anything you wanted to put behind it and still ask for more. Besides its always nice to be able to tow whatever you want without haveing to worry about if you are going to mess your driveline up because of the weight. Good luck and happy towing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have one last question, I noticed that the 09 Lambada's are rated to tow 5200lbs, so what is the difference other than the DI motor? I thought there was a discussion on this, but I couldn't find it searching.

I really do like the Acadia for my family vehicle, but it would be nice to have the ability to tow when needed. I do agree the hit in depreciation does play a big part on my decision, and will most likely be what keeps me from selling it. I should have gone with my gut when I bought it, but it does drive nicer than the Tahoe or Suburban which is why I chose it. Plus I was hoping to get a little better gas mileage as it is my main transportation for this year and probably next.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
clean97z said:
...My car weighs in at roughly 3400lbs plus a trailer...

Just realized you had a 4th gen Z28. Is that what you're towing? Too bad you can't "loan" some of that LT1 torque to the Lambda! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Just realized you had a 4th gen Z28. Is that what you're towing? Too bad you can't "loan" some of that LT1 torque to the Lambda! :)
That is what I want to tow. It would be nice if there was a way to borrow out the torque, the Z is making about 370 to the tires so it has a little to spare. The main reason for towing is because I take it to a road course a couple of times each year, beat the hell out of it and always hope I can drive it home, but eventually my luck will run out.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
This trailer was a buddys that I borrowed before I bought mine. It was a little lighter than the one I got, he used it to haul farm stuff, so it was not a dedicated car hauler like mine. It was a lot easier getting my low ground clearance stuff on & off with the dovetail & ramp setup on mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just towed a 3100 lb boat on a 1400 lb trailer 700 miles round trip to Michigan's upper penninsula from the Detroit area. My Acadia is FWD without the factory tow package. I had an aftermarket hitch installed and added a trans oil cooler myself. With gas and gear, the tow load was probably 4700 lbs +. Roads were mostly flat with some areas of rolling hills. Outside temperature was 80 - 85F on the way there and 70 - 75F on the way back. I had no issues towing this load at an average highway speed of about 60 mph and manually shifting through the hills. Engine temp ran at a constant 210, just as it does without a tow load. Trans fluid looked and smelled new. I could not have been happier with the performance of the Acadia.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
gtb990 - That was encouraging!! Thanks for the post!! :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
gtb990 said:
Here's a picture of my Acadia loaded with over 4500 lbs trailer load:

Not to burst your bubble, but that looks like about a 20' bowrider with a dual axle trailer, I doubt that together those weigh 4500lbs I would say closer to 3500lbs tops. I own a 21' Stamas with a walk around and a dual axle and they weigh in at about 4200lbs, and that thing is built like a tank.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I didn't get to weigh it, but I have an 08 with factory towing and front wheel drive, and I towed a 6x12 uhaul (which is 1800 lbs when empty) 1,000 miles this summer, including I-40 east from Knoxville to Asheville. I had at least 2,000 lbs of stuff in the uhaul, maybe more, and 4 people plus a little light luggage in the car. Going up I40 was no fun, and hard grades meant really watching the temp... but I never noticed ANY handling deficiencies at all at what would be near the limit towing. We ran I-40 in eastern Arkansas on a day with such bad crosswinds that the Miss River had big white caps on it. I could feel wind on the trailer, but the rig tracked along like a train on a track. Would get a Tahoe for frequent towing I suppose... but I was more than satisfied with the Acadia in this event and I'd do it again if I had to.

Balancing the weight bias somewhat forward and low on your trailer (as I am sure you are more than well aware of) is key to success.. not sure how easily you can do that with a car on a trailer though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts