GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I have been using the towing mode for routine driving and have been finding it quite a bit more satisfying. In fact, I'm thinking this probably is how the engineers might have liked to program this thing if they didn't have to deal with the CAFE numbers and associated driving cycle. It really reduces those annoying early upshifts that in the real world are followed shortly thereafter by another downshift when your throttle foot asks for a slight hair more power.

I'm sure in theory (or on the CAFE driving cycle) economy may be compromised but I suspect that with all the down shifting and such that goes on in real driving that fuel efficiency may not be much worse, and wear and tear on the tranny almost has to be better with less shifts and less of that jerk when the tranny is caught with its pants down in the wrong gear for the occasion.

To me, the best indicater that these are better shift points is that when I drive in this mode I simply tune out what's going on in the tranny (as I do with my other 3 cars) and the drivetrain becomes just a normal drivetrain rather than some sort of compromised econo-derby engineering exercise that I feel I have to "whip" (with a downshift) to get a mild increase in forward motion. In short, I forget all about the issue because its far less annoying.

I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had similar observations. I think, I'll drive it for a while that way to see if the real world economy really changes much as I'm sure my style is nothing like the CAFE cycle... ;) In fact, I'm ok giving up a hair of efficiency for the deal and still would use the regular TCM program for extended highway work anyway. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
.........that about sums up my thoughts. I drive in tow mode often around town or L4 or 5. As u said I forget about the tranny operation and hav ethe powerband available without searching for it though gas pedal pressure.

I wonder if the tow mode shift points will be what the new patch is all about?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shot_1 said:
I wonder if the tow mode shift points will be what the new patch is all about?
Unfortunately, because the vehicle is locked into its EPA fuel numbers, I seriously doubt that they have the option of making a change of that sort. I really think they have painted themselves into a corner with the the EPA numbers that will limit their options in changing the programming much. I guess we'll see when the patch comes out.

·
Registered
956 Posts
From what I've read the new reflash will make the transmission more responsive to downshifts, but it will still upshift asap. Like you said I doubt they can do much about the programming due to the EPA numbers and CAFE standards. I do not use the tow mode much, but I do use L and select the highest gear I want the trans to upshift to for the type of driving I'm doing. This along with a little more aggressive throttle all but eliminates the hunting for gears and the rapid upshifts. The trans is really not a big problem to me anymore. If I had my choice I would like to see GM have a lower first gear and a lower sixth gear or about twenty five pounds more of low end torque. I think the horsepower output is okay, the car is just a little shy of low end torque.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts