GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reviewing my auto insurance policy and noticed that the Acadia is less to insure than my Accord. I thought this was a mistake since the Acadia is an 07 and about $34K and the Accord is an 03 and about $20K. I called my insurance to make sure this was not some mistake. They verified the rates were correct.

Apparently the GMC gets a bigger safety discount than the Accord. Odd, I always figured Honda was way up there in the safety category and GM was never in the upper bracket for most of their cars. Maybe it's all the airbags that makes the difference. Don't know if it works that way for all insurance companies or just mine (State Farm) .

At any rate, it was $30 difference on a 6 month policy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hold the phone....

I just called my State Farm agent as well. We would be replacing coverage on a 97 Accord with a 2008 SLT-1 FWD Acadia. For our full coverage & deductible compared apples to apples, the difference for us will be $113.44 more per 6 months for the Acadia. (Which is $18.90 per month). Which is fine - hello - we are replacing a 10 year old car.

Here is were it gets Wacko. I had her check out the other Lambda triplets (tried to do them comparable trim levels and all FWD) and here goes: An Outlook XR FWD is $25.10 less per 6 months than the Acadia. As is an Enclave CXL. As is Yukon SLT FWD. As is Volvo XC90 FWD. As is a Sequoia SR5. So, why is the Acadia rated a 20 when these others are an 18? What she said is there are so many variables - safety, loss records, etc. But, I think the Lambdas should all be the same if comparably equipped, right? Or the Enclave more since it is a "luxury brand." it isn't really a big deal - that difference would mean $4.18 per month to me.

Just thought this was extremely interesting.

·
Registered
362 Posts
mikiek said:
Apparently the GMC gets a bigger safety discount than the Accord.
Aren't Accords among the most stolen?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mama2girls said:
Hold the phone....

I just called my State Farm agent as well. We would be replacing coverage on a 97 Accord with a 2008 SLT-1 FWD Acadia. For our full coverage & deductible compared apples to apples, the difference for us will be $113.44 more per 6 months for the Acadia. (Which is $18.90 per month). Which is fine - hello - we are replacing a 10 year old car.

Here is were it gets Wacko. I had her check out the other Lambda triplets (tried to do them comparable trim levels and all FWD) and here goes: An Outlook XR FWD is $25.10 less per 6 months than the Acadia. As is an Enclave CXL. As is Yukon SLT FWD. As is Volvo XC90 FWD. As is a Sequoia SR5. So, why is the Acadia rated a 20 when these others are an 18? What she said is there are so many variables - safety, loss records, etc. But, I think the Lambdas should all be the same if comparably equipped, right? Or the Enclave more since it is a "luxury brand." it isn't really a big deal - that difference would mean $4.18 per month to me.

A couple of things come into mind. First, the initial ratings on the Lambdas will be different based upon their replacement cost @ MSRP. Then they weigh in the potential rate of theft on the vehicles and also the safety ratings and crash test scores. The Acadia being the highest to insure of the three makes since to me as it is the most desirable (based on sales) and will likely have a higher theft rate once the market is saturated with them. I'm always impressed by the Volvo insurance rates because they are on par with the Lambdas yet they list out at $5K to $7K more for the equivalent features. Most of that is based on the safety history and the fact they are not as popular and have a correspondingly lower theft rate. The Honda accord is one of the most stolen vehicles out there and has always had relatively high insurance costs. But as you said the difference is almost invisible.

Just my 02.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would agree. I have known that the Accords are higher to insure because of theft risk but that is all I have ever insured so I had no point of reference. (Other than my husband's Buick he brought to our marriage.) I am not complaining or anything - I think the price is fine compared to where I have been. I was just surprised to see how many vehicles cost the same to insure. Now, if we were in Escalade territory, that is another story! (It is almost $200 more per 6 month than the Acadia.)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Mine went down. Check State Farm again. They call mine a "sports wagon" and I pay less than I did for a 2000 Volvo and a LOT less than we do for my husbands G-35.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was expecting to pay more for a 2008 "sports wagon" than a 10 year old Honda sedan. It would make sense to me. Many of you are comparing newer cars than I am. The actual difference could also vary due to coverage factors/deductibles, etc.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Mama2girls said:
Hold the phone....

Could be the HUD. More expensive windshield to replace, which is a fairly common repair. HUD isn't available on Outlook or Enclave.

·
Registered
251 Posts
From the perspective of potential accident avoidance, I would think having the electronic stability control system as a standard in the Acadia is a plus over the Accord.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose it's also where you live and if the Acadia is rated as a 'drive to work' vehicle. Mine is not.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Duh - Rudy - I forgot to check that factor - I just said we would drop my husbands (since that is the one we are selling and he will take mine) and then adding the Acadia when we do it. It will be my run around car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought the HUD bits were in the converter/projector in the top of the dash, which projects a semi transparent image on the windshield. On a fighter jet, it is set far away since it moves quickly, but on cars it is focused to the end of the hood so it is close to the view of the road.

I don't think there is any difference in the windshields. GM picked up the technology when they bought Hughes Technologies in 1985, one of the most successful military electronics companies of the time.

Anybody else able explain this technology better?

·
Registered
389 Posts
There was a thread recently about replacing windshields and the Acadia is costly to replace because it is the HUD windshield.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mama2girls said:
There was a thread recently about replacing windshields and the Acadia is costly to replace because it is the HUD windshield.
I couldn't find it using the search feature. Any idea who started the thread? Thanks, now I'm curious.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, there are alot of factors to consider. Of course a newer vehicle would be more to insure than an older one. And based on where you live, age of driver, male or female, usage, any discounts for non smoking, multicar, good student discount, etc. If you really want to know then compare apples to apples.
Kathy

·
Registered
681 Posts
Kathy said:
Yes, there are alot of factors to consider. Of course a newer vehicle would be more to insure than an older one. And based on where you live, age of driver, male or female, usage, any discounts for non smoking, multicar, good student discount, etc. If you really want to know then compare apples to apples.
Kathy
I do not have the figure in front of me right now but our 2000 Suburban (maybe valued at $14,000 with 90K miles on it) cost more to insure than the 2007 Acadia ($40K and only 4000 miles) - go figure. It was not a big difference maybe $25 for the six month period.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mama2girls said:
Thanks for the guidance. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I did some reading on HUD devices in general, and apparently the image can be created through the projector/converter, or by a laminate in the glass. Apparently the Acadia uses the special glass, which of course accounts for the higher price.

The laminate is used to prevent "ghosting" or seeing shadows of the projected image. The technology is fascinating, and it's always fun when this sort of thing cascades into day to day applications.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey John,

I should not have assumed a newer vehicle would cost more! My bad!
Kathy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts