GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 SLT 2 Owner here...

I have twin boys who occupy the captain's seats, and when any adult attempts to attend to them while sitting in the center seat of the third row, the shoulder portion of the center seat belt locks. It's quite annoying, I must say, as the only way to fix it is to unlatch the seat belt from the roof.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Its funny that you mentioned this because I just experienced it on my last vacation. I had my daughter in the center seat in the third row sitting in a booster seat. Everytime she undid her belt we would have to unthread it from the booster let it retract fully and then extend the seat belt fully and rethread it through the booster with her seated in it. It became a pain. I seem to remember one place we were parked with the vehicle at an angle, the rear was lower than the front, the belt functioned fine with out having to fully retract it to get it to work. Maybe the device that causes it to lock is just very sensitive to whatever angle the vehicle is at. I Have to get mine inspected next month so I think I will have them look at it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've noticed a similar problem with all 3 of the 3rd row belts. When pulled out the point at which the belt engages the lock is very quick. Any adult who sits back there has to constantly un-clip the belt and feed it back in in order to be comfortable.

Are others having this problem?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not a problem on our 09 as of yet anyhow no matter who sits there be it a kid or an adult.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a very annoying problem on our 2007 SLT-1 since we have 3 kids and oldest is in her booster seat in the rear Left. I'm glad to hear that it is a normal bug on this vehicle and it's not just our vehicle. Does anyone have a solution or is this even fixable? If not, I would still drive our 7-seater Acadia over a minivan anyday even with this inconvenience.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My oldest daughter sits in a booster on my passengar side 3rd row and hasn't had a problem with this. Since not all are having the problem, I wonder if you got bad locking mechanisms (used to be inertia wheels, but i don't know if that's still the case). Maybe the dealer or a body shop could help you out.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I can't believe no one is understanding that the seatbelts are supposed to work that way.  When you attach a car seat using the belts, you are supposed to pull them out all the way, then they retract tight, and can't move out again.  So, when a person uses the belt normally, if they stretch it out too far, then when they sit back it keeps clicking tight, and cannot be moved again, unless you unbuckle it then buckle again.  Just don't stretch it out so far when buckling it, or don't stretch so far leaning forward in the seat, and that won't happen. Hope this helps....this is NOT something wrong with the belts, totally supposed to work that way.

·
Registered
158 Posts
09Enclave said:
Just don't stretch it out so far when buckling it, or don't stretch so far leaning forward in the seat, and that won't happen. Hope this helps....this is NOT something wrong with the belts, totally supposed to work that way.
I think you're missing the point of my problem. What's happening is that if the belt is pulled out *not* all the way but rather for normal usage it locks *very* prematurely. For example if an adult sits in the back seat, puts on the seat belt, it will lock if they lean forward to adjust their position.

I understand how belts are supposed to work... many years of driving and car ownership here.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
satyric said:
09Enclave said:
Just don't stretch it out so far when buckling it, or don't stretch so far leaning forward in the seat, and that won't happen. Hope this helps....this is NOT something wrong with the belts, totally supposed to work that way.
I think you're missing the point of my problem. What's happening is that if the belt is pulled out *not* all the way but rather for normal usage it locks *very* prematurely. For example if an adult sits in the back seat, puts on the seat belt, it will lock if they lean forward to adjust their position.

I understand how belts are supposed to work... many years of driving and car ownership here.
To be fair, I've never sat in the middle 3rd row position, but have several times sat in either of the other 2 outward positions in the 3rd row, and no problems at all. However, I'm a very slim build, and not sure if it matters, but perhaps if the seatbelt is further out (not all the way out) it could be acting like it's all out, but not supposed to work that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just wondering if anyone has found a fix for this I have the same problem only when the belt is threaded threw the booster seat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My problem is somewhat similar but is happening in second row middle where my daughters car seat lies, I pull it all the way out to lock the car seat, when i take out the car seat it retracts all the way in but remains locked, so when I fold the seat down it retracts in more to the point where I cant pull the seat up cause now the seatbelt is holding it down.

Any luck on everyone elses problem? Cause it's getting to the point where i'm about to break the darn thing.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Pinoyxprss,

I have read your post about your situation with your seat belt in your second row of your Acaida. What is the model year of your vehicle? Have you contacted the dealership to talk with them about what you are experiencing? If you have not, I do recommend that you do so. You will want to get this documented within the system.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service

1 - 13 of 13 Posts