GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm in my 9th day of ownership; a real veteran!

Overall we love the Acadia, and have been experiencing "the look" daily. Two people have come up to us and said they have one on order.

Now that I've had some time to get more familiar with all the features, I have a couple of items I wish I could change. Since we have such a great forum with direct access to GM employees, I figured I might as well voice my opinion, and hope it has a small influence.

1.) Automatic door locks - I wish the DIC had an option to disable this feature. I don't like the "big brother" effect that the doors lock no matter what. The DIC choices are whether they lock when the transmission is put into gear, or when you hit 8 mph. There is no option to turn off auto lock completely.

I suppose there are safety and security reasons for auto door lock, but I really find it annoying.

Via the DIC, you can choose to disable the automatic UNLOCK feature, so the car stays locked until you push the button. There are actually 5 unlock choices: driver door at Park, all at Park, driver door at key out, all at key out, no auto unlock.

2.) Auto seat programming and easy exit - If the seat is all the way back in easy exit position, I wish that it would automatically move forward upon insertion of key (with fob 1 or 2) or upon engine start. Right now, the seat moves to position 1 or 2 (depending which fob is used) only upon door unlock with the fob.

This creates two problems: The seat is moving while you get in the car. I think it should stay back for easy entry and move once you're fully seated. It seems odd to me to get in with the seat travelling forward. If you wait for it to stop, it is a needless delay, and there is less room to maneuver. If putting the seat back for easy exit is a valuable convenience, why not leave it there for entry?

The second problem that tying seat position to auto unlock creates, is that the seat doesn't automatically move to position 1 or 2 if the car is already unlocked. This happens daily in our household.

Husband drives into garage and gets out. DIC is programmed for easy exit, so seat moves all the way back. Husband does not lock car (hey, it's in the garage; we never lock it in there :))

Wife goes out later and gets into car. She puts in her key and starts it up. Seat is all the way back and doesn't budge until she pushes button "1" on door.

It's more logical to me to have the easy exit seat move back upon key removal and forward upon key insertion.

The way it's set up now is a little cumbersome. With all the DIC customization options, I wish one DIC choice was the way I described.

That's my $.02. Just trying to help with design improvements for future years :).

I doubt if everyone will agree with these, but with all the DIC customization options, we could all be happy if only we had a few more choices.

Thanks to all you GM'ers for listening!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
What do you have? My SLT-2 has all of those choices for lock as well. When you start the car, put it in drive, or it doesn't have to lock it all. Then you get the choice of how many doors lock/unlock.

I personally don't like the easy exit myself so it is disabled on my car, but my parents Lexis is just like the Acadia with the easy exit and key fob. It drives me crazy when I visit and my mom makes me drive. I have to reset everything every time I get in the car.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have noticed the things you mention, and came up with the same conclusions. I think the only option would be to turn off memory seating. For me it'd no biggie because I am 6'3" and the seat is dern near all the way back already. The door lock issue bugs me as well. although I do have a solution that suits me. I use the delay lock function with a horn notification. That way if I am out and about if I don't manually lock the doors from inside I can hit the fob as I walk away. I was in the habit of not using the fob to lock with the old vehicle, so I don't mind doing this too much.

I agree though, it would be better for the memory to be activated by the key insertion and not the unlock button on the fob. I find myself having to stop and put it into park to get my seat just right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mckcab,

I also have an SLT-2. I cannot find the choice in the DIC to disable the auto door lock feature.

I've only found the 2 choices I mentioned in the top post: when you put the car in gear or when you hit 8 mph. My DIC doesn't seem to have a choice of "no automatic locking".

I'll look again tonight. I hope you're right, because that would be a great discovery if it's one of the options. I would turn it off in a second if I could.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Right from the manual (there are only 3 choices for door lock (1 being no change) and 5 for door unlock): I think you are out of luck on the Door Locking issue, unless GM issues a fix for the situation.

AUTO DOOR LOCK
This feature allows you to select when the vehicle’s
doors will automatically lock. See Programmable
Automatic Door Locks on page 107 for more
information.

Press the customization button until AUTO DOOR
LOCK appears on the DIC display. Press the
set/reset button once to access the settings for this
feature. Then press the customization button to
scroll through the following settings:

SHIFT OUT OF PARK (default): The doors will
automatically lock when the vehicle is shifted out
of PARK (P).

AT VEHICLE SPEED: The doors will
automatically lock when the vehicle speed is
above 8 mph (13 km/h) for three seconds.

NO CHANGE: No change will be made to this
feature. The current setting will remain.
Choose one of the available settings and press
the set/reset button while it is displayed on the
DIC to select it.

AUTO DOOR UNLOCK
This feature allows you to select whether or not to
turn off the automatic door unlocking feature. It also
allows you to select which doors and when the
doors will automatically unlock. See Programmable
Automatic Door Locks on page 107 for more
information.

Press the customization button until AUTO DOOR
UNLOCK appears on the DIC display. Press
the set/reset button once to access the settings
for this feature. Then press the customization
button to scroll through the following settings:

OFF: None of the doors will automatically unlock.

DRIVER AT KEY OUT: Only the driver’s door
will unlock when the key is taken out of the
ignition.

DRIVER IN PARK: Only the driver’s door will
unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK (P).

ALL AT KEY OUT: All of the doors will unlock
when the key is taken out of the ignition.

ALL IN PARK (default): All of the doors will
unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK (P).

NO CHANGE: No change will be made to this
feature. The current setting will remain.

Choose one of the available settings and press
the set/reset button while it is displayed on the
DIC to select it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wouldn't it be very easy to push the unlock button on the key as you are walking up to your car whether it is locked or not? That way the seat will move to the desired position before you open the door.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I checked mine, it doesn't have an option, but mine doesn't lock!! When I took it from the dealer she asked me, I said no and that was all. Now I am wondering if there is a problem. It does what I want so I really don't want to mess with it. That is weird!! :crazy:

·
Registered
492 Posts
MrBiz said:
Wouldn't it be very easy to push the unlock button on the key as you are walking up to your car whether it is locked or not? That way the seat will move to the desired position before you open the door.
That is what I do. I also hit the door button to stop it going all the way back when I get out.

I was used to the ford seat adjusting after the key was put in or the flob pressed. And when you got out it only went back a little. The Cadia just keeps on going so far that you can't get out unless you go back up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Similar to your problem about the seat going too far back, I find when I use the mirrors in reverse and have them tilt down they go too far. Is there any way to adjust how far back the seat goes or how far down the mirror goes?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As best I know, from the owner's manual and my own experiments, the amount of mirror tilt is NOT adjustable. I'm sure you've already discovered that the DIC allows you to choose which mirror tilt during reverse (L, R, both, neither). However, once you choose to allow them to tilt, the amount is fixed, and not adjustable by the user.

Same goes for the seat and easy exit. Either it doesn't move at all (no easy exit) or it slides all the way back (with easy exit turned on). If the automatic easy exit is chosen in the DIC, then the seat slides back when the key is removed from the ignition. If the auto feature is off, you can still get the seat to slide back by pushing the button on the door (between 1 and 2).

Racefla posted that he stopped the seat in "mid-slide" by hitting the door button again. I haven't yet tried this.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I did a test back on another post a month ago and the mirrors only tilt down a set percentage. If you set the mirrors all the way in the upmost position, they will move down maybe 20 or 30 degrees from that position and then back up when you go back into drive, they do not go back to your preset position, they go back to the position they were in prior to putting the vehicle in reverse.

Here is that post http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=253.0

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd cover the front center armrest in leather:
-- the existing vinyl doesn't breathe (i.e., prompts sweating/stickiness)
-- leather feels nicer, more luxurious
My Navigator's armrest was leather and I didn't really appreciate it until now ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd get rid of the easy exit button for the opposite. I want a button to make the seat go all the way forward after I get out (I would push it of course). This would make it easier for the kids to get out of the second row. Then I would use buttons 1 for my wifes setting and 2 for mine. As it stands now I drive it so infrequently I use button two to set the seat all the way forward to make it easier for my wife so each time I do get in it to drive I have to spend a minute setting it. :sosad:

I'd also add adjustable pedals, the ability to move the HUD left and right, and be able to move the armrest even more forward.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also agree with the HUD, but rotating it would be my choice. Having the plug outlet in the front would be nice too. Standard all-weather mats would be great! ;)

I really can't think of anything I don't like honestly. Still trying to figure out how to move the XM stations DOWN from the steering wheel though. Is this possible, or only from the dash controls?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I recently rented a Chrysler Town & Country minivan (gasp) while on vacation. Made my miss my Acadia. It did have one neat feature: It had two power outlets on the dash, one always on and one switched to the key.

Kelly

·
Registered
405 Posts
kjf said:
I recently rented a Chrysler Town & Country minivan (gasp) while on vacation. Made my miss my Acadia. It did have one neat feature: It had two power outlets on the dash, one always on and one switched to the key.

Kelly
The pacifica we rented has that. It has a picture (drawing) of a key on one and a picture (drawing) of a battery on the other. I guess meaning to me that one is always hot and the other is on whenever the key is in. I also like that feature.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.