GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was taken from an Acura forum in response to an Acura owners dislike of his Acura due to numerous problems including the replacement of two transmissions. Again my intent is not to bash any other make here, just to show that they all have problems that many of us are unaware of. I think both of these makes are very good cars, but not perfect.

"I guess you won't buy Toyota or Lexus then either because they had to replace so many engines during the period that they had oil sludge issues - even though that issue is fixed now too. Acura's tranny problem is much the same type of issue."

·
Registered
180 Posts
You make a great point big bear craig, while no car or company is perfect, I think the overall quality and content of cars has improved significantly over the last ten or fifteen years. I'm thrilled with my Acadia, but I realize other owners have had some issues. I think the way the company handles the issues is critical, although nobody likes things to go wrong with a new car.

I had three Saabs, and loved the first two, but the last one was very disappointing in terms of breakdowns. The dealer was absolutely super in terms of getting us loaners (once on a Saturday evening on a holiday weekend), and we never paid anything for the repairs or tows. Would I have preferred we never had the issues? Sure, but how the problems are handled can make a big difference.

Hopefully everyone enjoys their new cars, whatever they get, but I have to say I love my Acadia. :cheers: Erik

·
Registered
208 Posts
I totally agree with this. The American cars have come a long way, and I think they're equal in reliability to Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, etc. But you would never know this by reading Consumer's Reports. So I say do your own research on the internet. If I only trusted Consumer's Reports, I would have never known about the sludge problems with Toyota engines or Honda's flaky automatic transmissions that fail. With the power of the internet, you can see the different problems people are having with their cars on forums instead of trusting biased magazines.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had an expensive Japanese car. It wasn't a bad car at all, but it was far from perfect too. This car was babied and always garaged. At two years old the front drivers seat (leather) started to come apart. When I complained I was told this was normal wear and tear. About the same time the rear door armrest came apart and this was also considered normal. I had some other issues that were mechanical in nature. I also own a Toyota Tundra that I like very much, but it has several recalls pending and one of them is to replace the ball joints in the front end. This is a very good truck, but so far no better than the last two american trucks that I owned.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know many people that will except problems of any kind on an import but not on a domestic vehicle. While there was a time that domestic manufacturers dropped the ball and made enemies of much of the car buying public, things have changed. If people will look, I think they will be surprised.

·
Registered
123 Posts
this is such a truthful fact my sisters honda accord's transmission car was only 2 years old and it had to be replaced.... research and check things out for yourself.... did yall see the reports on the safe cars....BMW 5 series was at the bottom of the list it performed the worst.

·
Registered
425 Posts
big bear craig said:
This was taken from an Acura forum in response to an Acura owners dislike of his Acura due to numerous problems including the replacement of two transmissions. Again my intent is not to bash any other make here, just to show that they all have problems that many of us are unaware of. I think both of these makes are very good cars, but not perfect.

"I guess you won't buy Toyota or Lexus then either because they had to replace so many engines during the period that they had oil sludge issues - even though that issue is fixed now too. Acura's tranny problem is much the same type of issue."
You better be careful about what you say. Guido from Consumer Reports doesn't like it when you talk badly of their beloved Japanese automobiles.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know I noticed what I thought was a bias years ago. I had a Japanese car at the time and this model was having significant transmission problems and yet it never showed up in their very high ratings for this model. I don't think their surveys are weighted correctly for the different type of problems. I'm not a big fan of GM, but it seems like they really hate GM when it comes to the ratings of their cars. I did notice though that CR gave the Acadia very high marks so maybe things are changing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I read a Business Week article this morning that said Toyota recalled over 1.5 million cars across all vehicle lines in 2006, a record for them. It confirms that everyone has problems, and Toyota's seem to be increasing as they grow. I suspect they will refocus and get back to their high standards, but it may be more difficult based on the economies of scale ie, builiding as many cars as they are now selling. Perhaps they will join the Big Three in more ways than just sales figures, including keeping quality high while producing more cars. It will be interesting to see how they react.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Toyota will get a handle on this. The CEO has already admitted to their quality slip and is taking action on it. It can happen to any manufacture, but the Japanese seem to deal with these issues and get them resolved.

·
Registered
208 Posts
...And it also seems like GM is dealing with their quality issues and is now building high-quality cars/SUVs that can go head-to-head with Toyotas and Hondas. But, the biggest hurdle is the biased magazines that influence people. Funny, my family has bought cars/trucks CR does not recommend, yet these turn out to be the most reliable and longest-lasting. So how do you figure that???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts