GMC Acadia Forum banner

The Outlook for buying an Acadia... or trying to Traverse the market & my wants

4K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  OL_Shopper 
#1 ·
I re-ran my numbers and IF I can find an '08 SLT1 with HUD, convenience package (not a must have since remote start can be added), trailer, and without the 7 passenger captain's chairs ($495 credit more than pays for the HUD :)), it is not too much more than an Outlook- perhaps within negotiation range.

I've been doing some more dealer inventory searches w/o any luck. The inventory search system has reverted back to where you have to go to each dealer and then look at each vehicle one at a time.

Are like 99.9% of these ordered with the 7 passenger seating?
Are like 1% of these ordered with the HUD?

Can the GMC dealer input what I'm looking for and find this vehicle better than I can? I know the local Saturn dealer did this on an Outlook, so it seems like GMC should be able to do so as well.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT
Re-titled the thread.

#2 ·
Re: Odds of finding this vehicle at a dealer...?

All hail the mighty Google with a side order of Auto Trader...

* ACADIA AWD SLT-1
* ENGINE, 3.6L VVT V6
* TRANSMISSION 6 SPEED AUTO AWD
* Deep Blue Metallic 8)
* Ebony :-\

MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE $37,330.00
STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $36,685.00
Options installed by Manufacturer
HEAD-UP DISPLAY :thumb:

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE: :thumb: :thumb:
REMOTE START
ULTRASONIC REAR PARKING
ASSIST

HEATED WINDSHIELD WIPER FLUID

ENGINE BLOCK HEATER

TRAILERING PACKAGE: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
COOLING SYSTEM - HEAVY DUTY TRAILER HITCH

FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET

8 PASS SEATING, W/2ND AND 3RD ROW SPLIT BENCH SEATS :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

TOTAL OPTIONS $-90.00
TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $36,595.00
DESTINATION CHARGE $735.00
TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE*** $37,330.00

Did a history check & it still shows as being in inventory... since 10-07??? If this is the case, they should be willing to accept an offer they can't refuse!

One small problem... it's in Montana! Oh well, could've been in Washington or Oregon.

#3 ·

Getting warmer, Texas, albeit no convenience package :( :

* ACADIA FWD SLT-1
* ENGINE, 3.6L VVT V6
* TRANSMISSION 6 SPEED AUTO FWD
* Deep Blue Metallic
* Titanium

MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE $35,635.00
STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $34,675.00
Options installed by Manufacturer
HEAD-UP DISPLAY

TRAILERING PACKAGE:
COOLING SYSTEM - HEAVY DUTY
TRAILER HITCH

POWER LIFTGATE

FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET

8 PASS SEATING, W/2ND AND 3RD ROW SPLIT BENCH SEATS

TOTAL OPTIONS $225.00
TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $34,900.00
DESTINATION CHARGE $735.00

#4 ·

Montana is too far away, and Mrs. Shopper nixed the titanium interior (looks like a good deal to be had on this one though- 6K miles on a demo used by the service manager). The search goes on...

#5 ·

I went thru sort of the same thing you're going thru. We wanted an SLT-1 with buckets, remote start and DVD only in Summitt white. Dealer found 1 in 500 miles. It had prior hail damage, so I didn't want it. He found another one with trailering package heated washer fluid that just rolled off the line and was like another $700 more than what we were looking for. After looking around for several months I just ended up taking it. I took advantage of GM supplier pricing and the $1000 worth of rebates. So far we really enjoy the Acacdia. Much more than I intended on spending, but at least I enjoy it. By the way, I actually had found more SLE's with buckets and DVD only than the SLT. It's just they were so far away. The dealer told me that a low optioned SLT's are rare to see. Most people opt for the majority of options like sunroof, navi, wheels, etc.

#6 ·

If it's 8 seats you want, I'm surprised you aren't headed toward the Outlook. Or even some of the Enclaves which have that added. I realize the HUD may be a must for you, but without that, there are a ton of Outlooks crying out for you to buy them and their 8 seats.

#7 ·

Thanks for the replies. I was really hopeful on the Texas SLT, but if the wife ain't happy no one is happy.

Doodle said:
If it's 8 seats you want, I'm surprised you aren't headed toward the Outlook. Or even some of the Enclaves which have that added. I realize the HUD may be a must for you, but without that, there are a ton of Outlooks crying out for you to buy them and their 8 seats.
The HUD is a no-go now that the titanium leather has been scratched and it has been determined the black leather is too hot. You may think the Outlooks are crying out, but some of the dealers are muffling that cry (see my posts 35 & 36 in this thread) :
http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=139.msg2588#new

The Saturn salesmen I have dealt with have really insulted my intelligence, such as:
1) Telling me we could order (in July 2008) a 2008 and still thinking they could do so even after I told him the plants were making 2009 models as of June, then trying to cover that with a smokescreen that the factory holds vehicles back and we could get one of those.
2) Telling me my trade was "fair" value (even though he said in the next sentence that our trade was low miles and well maintained) and not realizing (or just playing dumb) that this is a condition value, not a market value
3) Adding $100 over the installed market price for a remote start (apparently I am the only one to have thought of doing this in 2 model years worth of sales even though it is listed in their sales brochure as an accessory) and then not being able to comprehend that I was paying above retail for a partial option package (i.e. there would be no ultrasonic parking assist like there would be if the vehicle came with the convenience group).

This is not our first new vehicle purchase. I suspect we are better educated on the product than the average person walking in the door. I do contrast this with the sales experience I had buying one Trans Am used (it was 5 years old at the time). The salesman (Chevy dealer) stated I knew more about it than they did, and I was pleasantly surprised when my initial (low ball) offer of <$2K under their asking price was accepted by the manager w/o any hesitation.

My first Trans Am I owned I bought new & the salesman played the "hold the trade in keys hostage" game until I insisted on getting them back and left. I did eventually buy there after favorable terms were worked out.

Without a doubt, this time the worst part of buying a new vehicle has been dealing with the sales people. With the technology of today, the online inventory searches could be a lot easier as well.

#8 ·

OL_Shopper said:
I suspect we are better educated on the product than the average person walking in the door.
After reading your posts, I can assure you that is the case. You sound like you could be my brother. I research the heck out of my major purchases and it is clear that you do the same. I finally realized that 9 times out 10 the salepeople don't know jack and are just blowing smoke. Therefore, I always assume they are idiots until proven otherwise. May sound harsh but saves me a lot of heartache not relying on salespeople for facts. Occasionally, one of them proves they are not an idiot and then I might let down my guard just a little ;D

#9 ·

I think the key is to identify what you really must have, and then find it, while weighing whatever else "might" be added on.

I really wanted the power liftgate. I really wanted the rear parking assistance. That gave me main options of SLT1 with both added, or SLT2 where they were standard. Ended up with SLT1 with both added AND the dual sunroofs and heated wiper fluid. Fluid is like $75, the sunroof was under 1k considering the dealer cost, and I really like the dual sunroofs, I just was trying to keep the cost down and ID my "minimums." In essense, I was happy to get it (especially after test-driving this model).

I could have settled for the SLT1 with power liftgate but no rear parking assistance. Cheaper, but didn't include my minimums. Same with getting just the rear parking assistance and not the power liftgate.

By the way, many people including myself love the black leather seats. I would not write them off so quickly as if it was a 100% given that they were 'too hot.' Not to me, or many people.

#10 ·

Funny you mention too hot and are in PA:
I sold a V8 RX7 to a guy from PA (due to the cooler climate). It would not run under 260 degrees water temperature in South Florida despite numerous cooling system modifications. I think it was a race motor that had the water jackets partially filled (bought it used with an unknown history).

Mrs. Shopper has determined the black leather will probably be OK, so the SLT1/HUD may be back in the hunt :).

We are still working on the "must haves" vs what can be retrofitted.

I have completed a semi-exhaustive search via Auto Trader and the GM Supplier inventory search website, and crunched the numbers- option costs (quite some variance here based on the window stickers), supplier price, and incentives. Prices do not include trade or tax, but do include supplier discount and all incentives.

I have found 8 possibles, ranging from a $29,139.59 white Outlook XE to the above $34,122.63 (estimated- no supplier price on it) AWD SLT1 in Montana- hey, it is blue with a black interior! In between are a couple of white 8 passenger SLT1 models with the HUD, one of which is here in FL @ $34,009.29. It also has the luxury (sunroof & 19" wheels) package @ $2,295 less a $1000 discount. I guess you buy the sunroof & get the wheels for free. The other is in MO @ $31,474.09 and does not have any other options.

Although we never got a bottom line price on the last XE we looked at (Red paint/Advanced audio/DVD/Preferred equipment/Trailer package), I calculated the price as about $30,648.52 with the dealer add ons and dealer added remote start.

Next thing to do is get some shipping estimates so as to factor these into the total overall price.

A 300 mile AT search for used blue 2008 models turned up a 6K mile Outlook XE @ $30,570.00 and a 14K mile Acadia SLT1 @ $29,995.00. Looks like neither is configured as we need them, and the dealers are asking more for them than the price of a new one.

For a few semi-relevant tidbits, I did check gm parts direct and found the radiators are different for the standard and HD cooling (trailer package) option. This could be retrofitted, but not for $425. I also observed the black/ebony interiors on the Acadia seem to be more popular up north, and titanium & tan more popular in the south.

#11 ·

Another day, more searches. Found several possibilities on both the GMC and Saturn sides of the aisle. I then calculated what I needed to add to each like nav/camera and/or rear DVD. For the non-local vehicles, I also added in generic ZIP code based shipping quotes. Here is what I found:

Outlooks ranged from $31,940 for a white/black cloth XE with me adding the nav/cam and rear seat DVD to $35,550 for a Blue/Black leather XR with me adding the nav/cam and DVD. The Red/Black cloth XR with factory nav/cam and DVD I found priced out at $33,070.

Acadias ranged from $32,220 for a White/Black cloth SLE with factory DVD and me adding the nav/cam to $38,330 for the above Montana Blue/Black leather SLT1. The next least costly (and the only one in FL) was a $36,810 White/Black leather SLT1 with a lot of stuff like HUD/Sunroof/19" wheels, basically everything I wanted except the trailer package. The SLT with only the HUD and 8 passenger credit works out to be more expensive ($35,380) than a similarly equipped XE ($33,070), a cost of $2,310. IF the HUD was available on the SLE, it would be a mega value package. Odds are someone will figure out how to retrofit it, and then how to make the windshield work or just replace it.

I have contacted a couple of the stocking dealers to verify the leading candidates are still available & if so then to see if they have fallen victim to the add ons like the Red XE we test drove recently. BTW, it priced out very close to the low priced white one- $10 more with the add ons and remote start being added by the dealer, so we are still considering it.

One other deciding factor for us is that the Saturn dealer here is twice as far away (40 miles) as the GMC dealer (20 miles). While we don't plan on spending a lot of time there, at some point we will need to go there for service or a recall. Also, the GMC dealer is in a town that has things to do around it within walking distance, whereas the Saturn place only has other dealers nearby.

#12 ·

From the FWIW department (and to make sure you aren't just talking to yourself---lol).......if you get the 19" wheels, make sure you've driven one first. Some feel it is not as smooth a ride and I tended to agree with that. Also, I remember finding out that in this area at least most Outlooks did not have leather seats. Once I decided the ebony leather was what I wanted, it really made it hard to match up an Outlook. Also, I really do like the Acadia look better than the Outlook and am really glad I went that way.

The longer you wait, the likelier that it will be hard to find what you want. I researched so long that many possible matches were sold. It's easier to get complacent in that regard.

Best of luck, and don't drive yourself too crazy.

#13 ·

gurufly said:
(and to make sure you aren't just talking to yourself---lol).......
I can stop now that I have over 50 posts and am a Jr Member. :)

if you get the 19" wheels, make sure you've driven one first. Some feel it is not as smooth a ride and I tended to agree with that.
I'm happy with 17" wheels on our Durangos (2), my Trans Am (needed for Corvette brake upgrade). I bought a set of aftermarket 18" ones (used $700 with brand new Z rated name band tires) for my RX7 (stock was 15 with dry rotted mismatches) and initially didn't like the look, but they have "grown" ;) on me. I think the remainder have 16" and 15" wheels. 19" and 20" makes me want to post something I might regret later, so to each their own.

Also, I remember finding out that in this area at least most Outlooks did not have leather seats. Once I decided the ebony leather was what I wanted, it really made it hard to match up an Outlook. Also, I really do like the Acadia look better than the Outlook and am really glad I went that way.
Mrs. Shopper admitted she liked the Outlook better*, but conceded the dealer location issue was a viable point. At this point, the only Outlook I may consider is the Red XR with cloth & nav/camera (would simplify my life) IF the dealer knocks some $ off due to it being a demo w/ 3K miles, or the Red XE we looked at if the Acadia deals fall through.

The longer you wait, the likelier that it will be hard to find what you want. I researched so long that many possible matches were sold. It's easier to get complacent in that regard.
Mrs. Shopper was reading in one of her magazines that the best time to buy was September. I told her w/ the amount of shopping & research I've done, I didn't think that would work (for the reason you stated).

Best of luck, and don't drive yourself too crazy.
Thanks, but too late :confused: too late (is there an echo in here?)! I broke through that wall after the 999th dealer website I visited checking inventory!

*Those familiar with the Mars/Venus thing will realize why it took the better part of several days to get to this place :)

#14 ·

My list is a little shorter today. The blue SLE in Texas is off. I emailed the "Internet Manager" expressing interest in this vehicle due to specific equipment. After learning it was in stock, I made an offer based on Edmunds.com pricing. He blew off my offer and tried to steer me to a stripper unit w/ no options for that price. I'll have to El-Pass-O (little Texas lingo there :)) on this one.

Still waiting to hear back on some others.

#15 ·

Another one down... the Internet Manager for the Red Outlook demo said:
1) Demo units are ineligible for GM Supplier pricing.
2) The $500 Conquest cash could not be used with the GM Supplier price.
3) The GM Supplier price is essentially their invoice price.
4) They take $1,000 off MSRP for a demo. This cannot be combined with the GM Supplier price.
5) It would cost a lot to transport the vehicle from there to here due to fuel costs.

I didn't know/have not checked into #1 or #2. Based on Edmunds data, I don't believe #3.

Running the numbers for this vehicle, you could take at most $2,250 off MSRP ($1,000 demo discount + $1,250 in incentives). It would be foolish to pay only $2,250 less than MSRP for essentially a 4K mile used vehicle, especially considering how some demo units are treated. I totally agree with #5.

Here is the math:
Scenario 1 (per the manager)
MSRP= $35,780
Less demo/incentives: $2,250
Net $33,530

Scenario 2 (my estimates)
MSRP= $35,780
GM Supplier price: $34,417
Less demo/incentives: $2,750
Net $31,667

Difference from 1 to 2= $1,863

For all the news about how bad off GM is, I'm not seeing any worthwhile deals at this point. I'm starting to appreciate our paid for Durango more & more. I think I may just add an aftermarket nav/camera system to it and call it a day, then wait for more depreciation to hit these so I can buy a used one.

Collapse of crossover market hurts automakers
See you soon on the unemployment line, buddy.

#16 ·

I broadened the scope of my search, and "built" a couple of 2008 Mazda CX9s (options are a lot easier to figure out, albeit some stuff -the nav- is really expensive) and also estimated a couple of ordered 2009 Traverse 1LT with and without the nav system, based on slightly higher 2008 option prices. I then mixed in the existing vehicles I had been looking at so as to get an overall picture of what was the best value.

Here are the results*:
The Traverse w/o the nav w/ DVD/trailer was $28,355.00[/color]
The Traverse w/ nav/camera/DVD/trailer was $32,346.10[/color]

The Outlook XE we looked at locally was $28,727.92[/color], but would need nav/cam added
A similar XE non-local was $31,714.36[/color], but would need nav/cam added
The Outlook XR non-local with nav/DVD was $36,947.10[/color] <- For a 4K mile demo no less!

The Acadia SLT1 local was $32,109.94[/color], but would need nav/cam/DVD added
The Acadia AWD SLT in Montanna was $38,116.21[/color], but would need nav/cam/DVD added

The Mazda CX9 Touring with nav/cam/DVD/etc was $34,332.02[/color]
The Mazda CX9 Grand Touring as above was $36,051.51[/color]

*All prices reflect tax based on trade difference and include applicable incentives/rebates.
Estimated GM Supplier and option prices for the Traverse.
Stated web GM Supplier prices on all GM except Outlook XR Demo, allowance of $1,000 off MSRP for that unit.
Cost to transport deducted from rebates for non-local vehicles.
Trade-in value subtracted from local vehicles.
Trade in value 0 for non-local vehicles.

In summary, the least expensive choice would be the local Outlook XE we looked at. However, when I factor in adding the nav/cam, the dealer location being twice as far away, and it being a second color choice (Red), it loses some appeal. I'd say the best thing to do is to order the '09 Traverse 1LT with all the goodies in place. That way, in a few years when someone like me is looking for one like that, they can buy mine :).

#17 ·

Looked at the CX9 "Touring" today. Rejected it quickly due to lack of overhead rear and third row AC vents. The Lambdas and the Journey have overhead vents (4) that point at the middle and third row seats, so each position can control their own airflow. Having tried the AC in both a Journey and the Lambda (Outlook), the Lambda wins hands down. All the cold air for the rear in the CX9 comes from the rear of the front console. I have a similar setup in my '98 Durango, but it also has rear overhead vents.

I was surprised an otherwise well regarded vehicle as the CX9 would lack this type of design feature.

Also checked on availability of the Traverse. Our Chevy dealer is close to the GMC dealer, so this is not an issue like it is with the Saturn dealer, who is in another town. Orders are being accepted, but no option pricing yet. I also found out in the order guide I linked in the Traverse Forum that our favorite blue paint is not available until October :angryfire:. Then there is the UAW seat/console supplier strike...

I also want to look into the '09 Acadia as soon as pricing is out for it.

#18 ·
Re: The Outlook for buying an Acadia... or trying to Traverse the market & my wants

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you know what you want and what you don't want, why not just order your vehicle. Of the 12 or so new cars I have bought over the years I have ordered all but one. I ordered our 07 Acadia back in Feb of 07 and it was delivered in 6 weeks. If you are not in a hurry, I feel the only way to go is to order exactly what you want.

#19 ·
Re: The Outlook for buying an Acadia... or trying to Traverse the market & my wa

shogun95 said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you know what you want and what you don't want, why not just order your vehicle. Of the 12 or so new cars I have bought over the years I have ordered all but one. I ordered our 07 Acadia back in Feb of 07 and it was delivered in 6 weeks. If you are not in a hurry, I feel the only way to go is to order exactly what you want.
I was trying to find a 2008 equipped as we wanted one in order to make use of the $1,750 incentives*. I would order a vehicle, but no one can tell me what it is going to cost (no option prices for Traverse/Acadia, and no vehicle price for Acadia), and I don't do business that way. It has been a while since we bought a new vehicle, but I recall getting substantial savings at model closeout time or for a demo unit. That is not the case so far.

As it stands, if we do order a Traverse, it won't be until October, when the color we want is "available". If the Acadia can be configured with similar equipment, at a competitive price, and can be ordered prior to that, we would certainly go that route.

* I keep money the old fashioned way. I'm cheap. :)

#20 ·
Re: The Outlook for buying an Acadia... or trying to Traverse the market & my wa

This should be my last post in this thread. After discussing the various models at length, we placed an order (sort of, hangup on one option package that should be resolved next week) for a 2009 Acadia SLT2 Deep Blue/Ebony with 8 passenger, Nav, Cooled Seats, HUD, Trailer Package. Basically everything except sunroof, 19" wheels, and HID headlamps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.