GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AAaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :angryfire: :banghead:

Well, it happened yesterday......

I hang a tennis ball from my garage ceiling so my vehicles are parked in the exact same spot everytime (I know....it's pretty anal). Anyway, after I put it in park, the vehicle apparently rolled back a little more than usual this time (plus I don't think the car was completely pulled into the garage :violent:). When the garage door came down, the door created a nice vertical scrape on the bumper's black trim. At least it wasn't on the paint, and I'm sure there'll be more....BUT, I made sure THAT wouldn't happen again. Just hate that it had to happen before the first month was up........ :'(

·
Registered
185 Posts
oh that blows. I hate that. Inevitable, but that inevitability doesn't make it more palatable when it occurs. you're right though. at least it wasn't the paint :eek:hno:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Now that the first scratch is out of the way. . . no more, right??

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not if I[/color] can help it...........I just might cry if I see one on that pretty blue paint :sosad:

·
Registered
752 Posts
You know, I have noticed that when I put my car in park, it rolls back more than my previous one. I would say it rolls a good six inches or more. Of course, it may depend on the slope.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
2007 Acadia FWD SLE w/ captain's chairs - Deep Blue Metallic/Titanium
I think you have the Acadia I wanted, but they sold while I was looking at the red jewel. LOL My salesguy said they had a deep blue metallic on the lot, but when he finally located it, it was already spoken for. :-\

I hear you on the scratch. OUCH. I am SO SO SO careful every day to keep anything away from the Acadia that might scratch it. I am realistic though and know that day will eventually come. *sigh*

·
Registered
119 Posts
Web Raven said:
I am SO SO SO careful every day to keep anything away from the Acadia that might scratch it.
My kids were learning to ride bikes around the same time I got a new car once. I don't have a garage and I remember insisting they leave a wide girth when coming into the driveway, LOL! Wouldn't you know it the dents I got were from other people's doors hitting it in parking lots. :p

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
sandman said:
You know, I have noticed that when I put my car in park, it rolls back more than my previous one. I would say it rolls a good six inches or more. Of course, it may depend on the slope.
Just two words: Parking Brake. :thumb:

Kelly

·
Registered
306 Posts
clsuper said:
AAaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :angryfire: :banghead:

Well, it happened yesterday......

I hang a tennis ball from my garage ceiling so my vehicles are parked in the exact same spot everytime (I know....it's pretty anal). Anyway, after I put it in park, the vehicle apparently rolled back a little more than usual this time (plus I don't think the car was completely pulled into the garage :violent:). When the garage door came down, the door created a nice vertical scrape on the bumper's black trim. At least it wasn't on the paint, and I'm sure there'll be more....BUT, I made sure THAT wouldn't happen again. Just hate that it had to happen before the first month was up........ :'(
clsuper,

Whatever it's worth--my wife did that twice with her Acura MDX and once with my BMW. She leaves the Acadia outside now and I pull it into the garage for her. I have to be extra careful so that I don't do the same thing--I'd never hear the end of it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
That sucks. I'm trying to be really careful, too. This is the first vehicle I've had that will actually fit in the garage. I'm very nervous pulling it in and out. Thank God (or GM) for the power folding mirrors!!! In fact, I was just about to hang the tennis ball from the ceiling in the garage so I know where to stop. I had never seen that done before until I noticed that my neighbor had done the same thing. I know my husband will freak the first time it gets scratched.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did the exact same thing except that I closed the garge door about 3 or 4 times before realizing what happened. Throughout the day I would hit the close button hanging on my garage wall and later find the door still open. Eventually I realized that I had indeed hit the button earlier. My garage is rather cluttered so I couldn't see what had happened. I checked the rear end expecting the worst and found ony some minor scratches on the chrome trim piece. I was expecting a giant scrape down the back hatch. I'd feel lucky that you just marked the bumper. Get some Mothers black plastic polish and you'll barely notice it. You know, it should buff right out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A great alternative to tennis balls are the laser gadgets you can mount on the ceiling of your garage. You point the laser to a location and when the red dot hits your dash as you pull in, you know where to stop. The ones I have have motion sensors so only come on when there is movement. I got mine at Costco a couple of years ago for around $15.

My kids thought the tennis balls were for batting practice!

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will have to look into those laser gadgets! In the meantime... I just pick my Acadia up last night (woo-hoo!!) and I am so paranoid about the garage door hitting the back.
Please explain the tennis ball trick. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
lovinit said:
I will have to look into those laser gadgets! In the meantime... I just pick my Acadia up last night (woo-hoo!!) and I am so paranoid about the garage door hitting the back.
My neighbor has tennis balls but I was going to use a wiffle ball (easier to tie a string to.) Here is how I'm going to do it.
Pull your car into the garage.
Mark the ceiling (either above the windshield or front end).
Using your mark, hang a string from the garage ceiling with the ball tied to the end.
When you pull your car into the garage and hit the ball, you know that's where you need to STOP!!!

I'd be interested to hear how you do it with a tennis ball.

·
Registered
102 Posts
stevemel said:
lovinit said:
My neighbor has tennis balls but I was going to use a wiffle ball (easier to tie a string to.) Here is how I'm going to do it.
Pull your car into the garage.
Mark the ceiling (either above the windshield or front end).
Using your mark, hang a string from the garage ceiling with the ball tied to the end.
When you pull your car into the garage and hit the ball, you know that's where you need to STOP!!!

I'd be interested to hear how you do it with a tennis ball.
You will need a punch or screwdriver. Simply punch a hole into the tennis ball, and then push the end of the string in the hole. First though, tie a knot or "bolt" or something to the string and it should keep the tennis ball secure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Of course you could always back into the garage and let the reverse sensor be your tennis ball...depending on what you've got at the back of the garage!

Backing in makes for an easier getaway in the morning as well.

Stevemel -- this is the first vehicle I've had that won't fit in my garage; it'll go in with the mirrors folded, but I'd have to get out through the sunroof...

Jasper -- I was waiting for the "it'll buff right out" on this site; VWVortex is rife with it so I knew it was only a matter of time!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Since buying my house, my family obviously considers my garage their storage area, so I couldn't fit my Acadia in there if I wanted too! Plus, it's kind of a pain to have to open the driveway gate, pull in, get out, close the driveway gate, etc. etc. So I just park in front of my house where I can openly show off my Acadia to my neighbors.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
There are several relatively cheap products out there that accomplish the same thing, without having to do the tennis ball trick (which can be in the way of electric garage doors, not to mention annoying when you are walking around in your empty garage:

One is a Garage Parking Sensor ($25) http://www.smarthome.com/7188r.html

Or even more simple, a Parking Stop ($18) http://www.smarthome.com/90708.html

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My Dad always used to just hang a metal washer from a string and set it so that when the washer touched the windshield of the Suburban, Mom knew she was far enough in. Worked pretty well and not as noticeable as the tennis ball.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts