GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Acadia at 140,000 miles is throwing this code every two days or so and I am getting rough starts along with low gas mileage. Looks like the timing chains need to be replaced which is a common issue with the vehicle.

a. Is it worth spending about $100 at the GM dealership to verify timing chains really are the issue? Based on symptoms and mileage I can't see it could be anything else.
b. Would the Cloyes Engine Timing Chain Kit 9-0753S contain everything needed?
Or do I need other items like Dorman 917-274 Camshaft Phaser (2).

I am certainly going to replace the water pump also.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
19,791 Posts
I think the dealer would tell you the timing chains need replaced. Probably a waste of your time going there. The Cloyes kit is complete, except for the cam phasers. If you're going to change cam phasers, too, remember there are 4 of them - 2 exhaust and 2 intake. Each has their own part number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think I should replace all 4?

Is the GM 3.6L is an interference engine? I'm seeing some conflicting information. I guess better park it until I get it fixed?

·
Super Moderator
19,791 Posts
So you think I should replace all 4?

Is the GM 3.6L is an interference engine? I'm seeing some conflicting information. I guess better park it until I get it fixed?
Replace them all if you want to do an absolutely thorough job. Replace none if they show no signs of needing it, like sludge coating or obvious wear marks. That's up to you.

Yes, it's an interference engine. If the problem has just now shown, it doesn't mean you have to be paranoid about it. I took a few highway trips before my Acadia went to the shop for chain replacement. It never presented any running problem, or displayed any obvious sound that something was wrong.

·
Super Moderator
19,791 Posts
yes they did

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ooo Boy ... I don't know if I would be driving around in a vehicle that was telling me the timing might be off! I guess if I was out on the road away from home ... that might be the only reason to keep rolling ... at least to a "safe" area where I could get it checked out. But if the vehicle was in town, I think I'd just get it home and that would be it. I'd be verifying those chains before driving it another foot!

Has it been losing any oil? I didn't think the 3.6L engine had that problem, but I believe it still has the Tensioners that rely on oil pressure. I've always wondered about those Tensioners. Could they, at some point, just start weakening or retracting enough to release tension on the chain guides, causing slack in the chain, and throwing the Timing Code(s)? I'm pretty sure I've read cases where people opened these things up and didn't see anything obviously wrong ... no broken chain, no broken guides ... but maybe just a little slack in the chain that they couldn't even be sure was a problem? It's these cases that made me wonder about the Tensioners.

I'd open it up and have a look. Hopefully you could do this without pulling the engine out? I know it's really tight in there, but I thought people have done it ... just not ideal working conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts