GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to express a heartfelt THANK YOU to General Motors and all the designers, engineers, & manufacturing team for building such a great vehicle.

We bought our 2012 Acadia back in early 2013 and it has been with the family since Day 1. It's been a strong & reliable vehicle for our family of 6 as we've grown over the past 10 years. It has hauled construction materials to help us with a major house addition, been through 4 kids learning to drive, and traveled all over the country on vacations, funerals, family gatherings, college visits, trailering horses/vehicles/wave runners, and moved our kids in & out of college over the years. We could not be more happy with the 153,000+ miles we have travelled, never having the car breakdown and leaving us stranded. We never worried we wouldn't reach our destination safely.

Our last & youngest driver was driving on a 2 lane country road at night, making her way back home. The rear driver side tire blew out, causing her to lose control of the vehicle. She crossed over the yellow line and was headed directly for a utility pole on the opposite side of the road. She regained the wheel just in time to make a hard right turn and avoid the pole. The tire tracks were mere inches away showing how close the vehicle came to hitting it. She entered a deep ditch and with the wheels pointed to the right, the left side of the vehicle slammed up against the side, sliding a bit until the wheels caught and pinned the front end against the opposite side of the embankment. With a good amount of momentum still in the vehicle, it rolled over a full rotation, maybe 2 or 3, and came to its resting place with the wheels back on the ground.

We received the frantic phone call that every parent dreads. She had taken an alternate route home and said she'd been in accident and didn't know where she was. We were fortunate to have GPS active on her phone and told her we were on our way. A motorist passed by and stopped to stay with her until we arrived. It was the longest 20 minutes of driving in my life and we kept assuring her help was on the way.

We arrived at the crash scene and made our way to the car as safely as we could. The vehicle damage was severe; a smashed windshield, sheared off sideview mirror, crumpled fenders/doors, dents on the roof, & a blown tire in the rear. The side airbags deployed which hid our view until we reached the open door, holding our breath in the cold air. She was still in shock crying but looked ok physically. As the emergency vehicles arrived, we slowly got her out of the vehicle and walked her towards the road. She was taken to the hospital to check for any hidden injuries and left the same night.

The following days, bruises became visible where the seatbelt straps were. These were the only signs she had just survived a terrible crash and walked away without even a scratch.....

We were fortunate this didn't occur on a more busy road where she could have hit on oncoming vehicle. We were fortunate this didn't put her on a more direct path into the utility pole. We were fortunate she only encountered a ditch alongside the road instead of trees. What wasn't fortunate was the decision to be driving a General Motors vehicle.

Thank you again to the GM team!

Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: JayTee2019

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sad . . but glad to hear the injuries were few and mainly the shock and bruises.
I saw your other thread. I guess it depends on what to do.
I have an update to the story. She said the rear end of the vehicle just dropped, like she hit a dip in the road. She couldn't control it after that happened. I took the rear driver side wheel off to check the tire and was shocked. Tire was OK. The lower cast aluminum driver side rear suspension knuckle failed. The rear wheel was then able to pivot toe in/out. In doing so, it shattered the rotor where only 2/3 of it remained.

Reactions: JayTee2019

· Registered
3,487 Posts
I have an update to the story. She said the rear end of the vehicle just dropped, like she hit a dip in the road. She couldn't control it after that happened. I took the rear driver side wheel off to check the tire and was shocked. Tire was OK. The lower cast aluminum driver side rear suspension knuckle failed. The rear wheel was then able to pivot toe in/out. In doing so, it shattered the rotor where only 2/3 of it remained.
Interesting. . .. that might e cause to seek other help besides the insurance claim?
Although . . . . injuries weren't severe .

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pic attached of the rear wheel knuckle failure & rotor fracture. It caused uncontrolled motion of the rear wheel (toe, camber & caster). The loose wheel hit against the suspension causing fracture of the rear rotor causing wheel to lock-up as well.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Rim Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Rim Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

1 - 7 of 7 Posts