GMC Acadia Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks for posting ! Subscribed . . .

Very helpful and looking at it seems like an owner . . . with some dexterity . . . might even be able to replace the switch by pulling the plug you shorted and then unsoldering and replacing with a new switch. I would recommend a slight up bend on the switch lever to relieve the over travel that stresses the internals of the micro switch.
I thought the Molotov cocktail was a nice touch.
Also enjoyed the 355F1 videos. That car sounds . . and looks . .. . amazing.
By far, the hardest part is removing all those harnesses from the console. And if I remember correctly, you can't remove the awd/driving mode one for some reason. I think it has to be flipped upside down and unscrewed to remove
Anyway, you probably could get enough slack with the blue and black wire to resolder a new micro switch. Eventually I will probably purchase the above micro switch to see if I can fix it.
What's interesting, I tried to watch a bunch of videos on acadia's, traverse, Malibu etc to see if anyone else had made a video about simply shorting the micro switch like I did. But I did not find any yet. Most videos I saw involved bending that metal arm -down-, to apply more pressure on the micro switch.

My assumption is that this micro switch is not connected to any transmission or ECU related module. It simply is there for verification to the body control module and or instrument cluster module to verify that the car has been put into park when the shifter is all the way forward.
Thus no harm in just having the switch closed all the time.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
By far, the hardest part is removing all those harnesses from the console. And if I remember correctly, you can't remove the awd/driving mode one for some reason. I think it has to be flipped upside down and unscrewed to remove
Anyway, you probably could get enough slack with the blue and black wire to resolder a new micro switch. Eventually I will probably purchase the above micro switch to see if I can fix it.
What's interesting, I tried to watch a bunch of videos on acadia's, traverse, Malibu etc to see if anyone else had made a video about simply shorting the micro switch like I did. But I did not find any yet. Most videos I saw involved bending that metal arm -down-, to apply more pressure on the micro switch.

My assumption is that this micro switch is not connected to any transmission or ECU related module. It simply is there for verification to the body control module and or instrument cluster module to verify that the car has been put into park when the shifter is all the way forward.
Thus no harm in just having the switch closed all the time.
Agree. . . I also noticed that when the micro switch makes contact, you can hear and see the Park interlock solenoid go into the lock position so that the shift stalk can not be moved out of Park . . . unless the "trigger" is pressed on the shift handle of course.
Have you noticed or checked if the shift lever can be moved out of Park (with that shorting jumper) without having to depress the usual release on the shift handle? IOW. . . no longer has a Park interlock.
I'm thinking it could anytime the push to start button on the dash is initiated.

Not really a problem since once the Stop button is pushed on the dash to kill the engine, the BCM, I think ,would also kill power to the Park interlock solenoid in the shifter.

All the electronic assist and modules in these newer vehicle has gotten pretty complex. Human Interface Module and vehicle LAN to let the BCM, ECM, etc what the human wants to do. When things go wrong it often can take some sorting out.

Thank again for the video. Very helpful. I'll be delving into it again as the weather starts to stay a bit warmer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
No, the shifter cannot be moved out of park unless you depressed the button. The mechanical lock is still in place and is 100% mechanical obviously, the micro switch plays no roll in that.
So far, everything functions and acts just as Chevy designed it (minus the fault of course lol) I suppose the only exception is what happens when you shut the car down in drive or neutral?
I will test this when I get home, I would assume In that case, I would imagine it performs like any other car made before the time of cars having a shift to park dummy message.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Haha, ok did some further testing

Test one, turning the car off while in drive. Result? The dash said "shift to park" lol
Push the shifter forward into park, message went away. Exactly as it should.

Test two, tried to move the shifter out of park without pushing the button. Result, nope, you have to both push the brake and depress the button just like you had to do before.

Literally everything operates exactly how it should and did from the factory with the exception of the error that everybody's having that's coming to this thread. It's almost like GM put that faulty micro switch there so they can make a bunch of money replacing shifters lol. I'm joking but plausible haha

I don't think I'm even going to try to get a new micro switch, I'm just going to leave it with the micro switch disabled

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

Test one, turning the car off while in drive. Result? The dash said "shift to park" lol

Test two, tried to move the shifter out of park without pushing the button. Result, nope, you have to both push the brake and depress the button just like you had to do before.

Literally everything operates exactly how it should and did from the factory with the exception of the error that everybody's having that's coming to this thread. It's almost like GM put that faulty micro switch there so they can make a bunch of money replacing shifters lol. I'm joking but plausible haha

I don't think I'm even going to try to get a new micro switch, I'm just going to leave it with the micro switch disabled
Many of them, like mine, have failed inside the warranty. GM isn't making any money replacing shifters. Some like mine failed twice.

·
Banned
21 Posts
A little over a month ago, I made a video showing how I adjusted the springs inside the shifter in an attempt to fix the shift to park issue. It seemed to help a little, but it did not last. So I was determined to find a true, lasting fix or a workaround.

Since then, I believe I have found a solution. Ive been testing it now for a little over 3 weeks, and I've had zero 'shift to park' displayed, nor have I found any other adverse side effects, (although a few positive ones.)

I removed the shifter from the car, which involved partially removing the center console. Once removed, I found that the shifter release button activates one sensor mounted on the side of the shifter.
View attachment 10138

It's really the only positional sensor in all of the shifter assembly. And since GM is replacing the entire shifter, and I haven't heard any talk of them peering into the actual transmission, it's really the only possible culprit.

Micro switch is labeled "omron aq l251 1186 nz "
I spent a few hours just trying to find a replacement micro switch, but they are literally hundreds of thousands to choose from. I found a quite a few sites that let you sort by different options, but still I could not find any. I suppose I may call the manufacturer directly to inquire, this might be the best option.

The fix
So the micro switch has two wires going to it, a blue wire, and a black ground wire. When out of gear, the switch is open, when in park and the release button disengaged, the switch gets shorted to ground.
These colors change at the harness connector, to black and purple with white stripe.

I simply shorted the switch at the plug to ground all the time to see what would happen.
View attachment 10139

Like I mentioned earlier, our Acadia is driven a few times every day, and for the past 3 weeks I have not had a shift to park air at all. I also have had zero ill effects from the switch being shorted to ground. Everything, lights, navigation, seems to work exactly as it did before with one exception. The navigation is now unlocked. Meaning we can put in addresses while driving, I don't remember being able to do that before.
I'm hoping a few others are able to try this, and test it out to make sure there are no errors in their cars as well.

Anyway, the only drawback I see, is it's kind of a pain in the butt to get to the plug. It requires moving the center console back a few inches so you can get the upper cup holder bezel removed.
It sounds harder than it is, the short of it is to remove both side panels which are just one 7 mm screw each, and a few snaps,
then remove the 12 10 mm bolts that hold the center console into place.
simply slide the center console back approximately 3 in, and that will allow you to lift up the cup holder bezel, giving you access to the plug.

From there, simply remove the plug, install a jumper as pictured above. And then reinstall. Hope this works for you guys as it has for me

View attachment 10140 View attachment 10142

Edit, here is the video, start to finish
Great investigation! I have seen this shift to park message in a lot of 2017’s but not in mine for some reason. But I would like the wife to be able to type in a message while driving, so I may just do this for that lol. Crazy I know but I am.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Does anyone know what all the switch controls? You have not had a problem but what if the air bags are shut off when in park? I think jumping it is great if there are no issues like this. How do we know?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Does anyone know what all the switch controls? You have not had a problem but what if the air bags are shut off when in park? I think jumping it is great if there are no issues like this. How do we know?
One reason why maybe replacing the switch is the best solution since doing so will restore operation to factory original operation as shown and discussed in other parts of this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to add some info. .
Based on the previous links provided by a Chevrolet Volt owner who made this repair, I agree with his findings and based on the switch specifications. . . that the switch likely fails due too excessive over travel the way it was installed in the shifter. This very small micro switch only requires about 2mm of movement to make the switch connection.

The lever on the factory installed switch is completely straight, which causes excessive force and movement of the lever much more than needed and causing 2 to +3mm over travel. In other words, in the Acadia Shifter, the shifter smashes the lever much further into the switch body than needed eventually damaging the internal switch contacts. In time, it fails.
VID_20190726_185424781.mp4
VID_20190727_092958355.mp4
The fix is to both install a new switch and form the lever as shown in the pictures below. This allows the switch to still make the connection, and allows only about 1.5mm of overtravel without excessive compression.
At any rate, whatever the reason for the micro switch failure, this repair will resolve the issue for anyone out of warranty who is able to DIY.

I ordered 3 Omron D2HW-BL221H switches from mouser for about $17 with fast shipping.
According to the Omron data sheet, the factory and replacement switch have gold alloy contacts as do many in the same data sheet. Since the "AQ" version seems it can only be found on a Chinese "Ali*****" website, I opted to order from U.S. Mouser for the hinged version of the switch. The same as the factory, but is not the "leaf" lever type.
It fits and is exactly the same measurement. For $4 or so .. .. is low cost insurance for anyone wishing to delve in and have on hand for a DIY repair.

BTW. . . Ford Edge and some other vehicles have had the same issue with the same kind of switch.
Shift to Park Warning when it's in Park

Below are pictures of the original switch in position and then the replacement hinged switch. It fits exactly and has the same specs.

View attachment 10515 View attachment 10516

Also. . .. a GIF showing the excessive over travel of the switch lever compared to the modified formed lever.
View attachment 10529
This is by far the best explanation and solution that I have come across - thank you for sharing! I ordered 3 switches (something about paying more for shipping than the part itself?) off of Mouser and will follow up with my (hopefully successful) experience. Nice to find something tangible to repair on a newer vehicle, especially with an intermittent electrical issue.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
This is by far the best explanation and solution that I have come across - thank you for sharing! I ordered 3 switches (something about paying more for shipping than the part itself?) off of Mouser and will follow up with my (hopefully successful) experience. Nice to find something tangible to repair on a newer vehicle, especially with an intermittent electrical issue.
Glad to hear you find the information helpful. If you are adept at unsoldering and replacing/soldering in the new switch all should go well. Let us know please, and maybe post a few pictures or hints that you find helpful ?

If you need help on how to remove the console to get at the shifter switch. . . this thread . . especially the last posting. . .. lists what fastners to remove and also need to slide the console rearward a bit .
LINK: Center console buzz - how to get to base of shifter?

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
... Nice to find something tangible to repair on a newer vehicle, especially with an intermittent electrical issue.
Someone should quickly figure out a flat rate schedule for this repair if it becomes something 'standard' for out of warranty vehicles. Else, customers could be open to a new world of rip-offs from inept "mechanics."

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Forgot. . . the video in Post #46 above is also the most excellent in showing how to get at the shifter in the console.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts