GMC Acadia Forum banner
61 - 80 of 251 Posts
The latest update. My 2017 acadia started getting the power assist message and temperature gauge drop everyday. So when i get home i would keep taking off the negative battery terminal and retighten it. Clear the fault and drive again. I finally realized that i was tightening it down to tight and put a groove in the battery terminal. So as i was driving the negative terminal would loosen just a bit and the message would pop up. The last time after a week of dealing everyday with it i installed the negative terminal in a different spot off of the groove and torqued it down to correct value. Now for the last month or so i haven't had any more issues. Makes me think it was the terminal the whole time after dealing with it everyday. It was always tight enough to start and run the other systems but still loose enough to throw up the message and shut down the air conditioning.
what have your daily outside temps been like?

update on my situation. i finally got the opportunity to drive the car in sub 65 degree weather yesterday after having the service performed.. well, it did not trigger the assist alert or any other of the issues that come with it. For now i am gonna consider my situation to be working.. i want to see it cycle in cool temps a few more times without issue before i say fixed 100%.. i am 90% sure it would have faulted out if i had driven it yesterday without the service done.

My wife has the 2017 Acadia Denali and this issue happened to me today. This morning the Steering Assist was displaying then on the way home I noticed that AC wasn't cooling then noticed the temp gauge was down. Hoping this will be a easy and quick fix?

My wife has the 2017 Acadia Denali and this issue happened to me today. This morning the Steering Assist was displaying then on the way home I noticed that AC wasn't cooling then noticed the temp gauge was down. Hoping this will be a easy and quick fix?
Take the negative battery terminal off and re install it. Should clear it. Make sure its not dirty.

I’m late to the game on this but was recently having the same issue with my wife’s 2017 Acadia. The mobile mechanic replaced the battery terminal and it’s been all good ever since then. This was after I suggested replacing the thermostat so I saved quite a bit of money. Just wanted to share in case it could help someone else having the same issue (steering assist reduced, thermostat on C, engine reviving, and no AC).
So your mechanic fixed it all with just replacing the positive batter terminal? My wife has the 2017 as well that I drive to work daily and this issue happened today in Atlanta with 92 degree temp. I will look at the terminals and hope this will resolve all the issues? Let me know?

Take the negative battery terminal off and re install it. Should clear it. Make sure its not dirty.
WOW!!!!! Thanks for that response!!!! I just went and cleaned a little corrosion and reinstalled the cable and everything cleared and working fine!!!! I am convinced that almost every vehicle made after 2012 the voltage is or will be the baseline for problems. Thanks Again!!!

Ok. My 2017 acadia has been doing this intermittently off and on for a year. Lasts about a week. It just started doing it again today. So after reading this forum I tightened the negative and positive battery terminals without removing them and it didn't help. I tried staring it a couple more times and it still gave the power steering assist message and no a/c. So then i took off the negative terminal and cleaned it. Than i took off the positive terminal and cleaned it. Tightened the fuses next to it also. Put positive back on and tightened. Than negative back on then tightened. Sprayed battery protection on them. Started it back up and everything works again. I tried starting it 3 more times and it works great. I think the terminals are the ticket. Just wanted to share my experience
I have to agree, I just took my negative post off cleaned it and all is fine. Am thinking it's a low voltage issue that triggers other things?

I noticed that sometimes there are problems with the air conditioners. Especially on cars.An old air conditioner? System outages? Or is it already a malfunction due to long years of operation? My friends from this company airconservicing.org they gave me the answer to this question. Although they are experts in air conditioners located at home, they can also help with the car. In general, the problems may be in system outages. But, fortunately, it is quickly repaired without any problems. However, there may be a problem with the system update.

I noticed that sometimes there are problems with the air conditioners. Especially on cars.An old air conditioner?
There are many reasons for this. Read this whole thread and search for others like it here on the forum.
Leaks in A?C system o-ring fittings and elsewhere often develop as a vehicle ages.

So, it looks like you guys have nailed it on the 2014 Acadias ---- Engine Coolant Sensor needs replacing. I am helping a neighbor with a 2017 that appears to have the same issues ---- dash temp gauge reading cold, radiator fan running continuously from start-up and air conditioning running warm. Also have a warning on the dash saying "Steering Assist is Reduced" and a P0128 check engine code that says "Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temp). I suspect this is still part of the same issue, because they all showed up at the same time. GMC must've made a major engine change around 2016-17 because the engine compartment looks completely different than what I'm seeing on your enclosed videos. And I can't seem to find any videos or chats on the 2017s. So, my main question is "Where is the engine coolant sensor located on these newer engines?" I hope no one else is having this problem on their 2017 through 2019, but I hope someone knows where to start looking for this sensor. I don't really care to go ripping off all kinds of engine covers just to find it.
Thanks,
Gene
Wife's 2017 started this a couple months ago with the steering assist limited/disabled, ac stop blowing cold air and temp gauge not registering. Had the car 6 months with 95k on it. V6 engine.

Wife's 2017 started this a couple months ago with the steering assist limited/disabled, ac stop blowing cold air and temp gauge not registering. Had the car 6 months with 95k on it. V6 engine.
the Acadia had a redesign for the 2017 model year. the temp sensor is attached to the thermostat housing, under the intake manifold. When the dealership replaced my thermostat they replaced the sensor and housing as well. if your in there you just cover all the bases. the cost of the service mostly comes from the labor of getting to the thermostat. the most expensive component is the housing because the sensor is part of it. just get the thermostat and housing changed and be completely done with the problem.

Read through this thread: Electric power steering assist warning. It will outline what another 2017 owner went through to resolve the vehicle's problem. There are other threads about it, too. Search the forum using keywords related to the problem(s) and you'll find them. Be sure the discussions are about the 2nd Gen (2017+) Acadia.

• Helpful
Reactions: Administrator
I guess I'll join the party!
2018 Acadia SLT 45k miles
Driving to work this morning about 75 degree weather in North Florida 5:30am since I'm giving all the specifics.
7 miles from the house, jumped on the highway and immediately get Steering Assist Reduced. Then I immediately noticed the temp gauge at 0. Then the AC went out. Fans on High
Found multiple forums and looks like multiple people have multiple answers.
At this point I just drove the other 7 miles to work. In the meantime, I found the answer about taking the negative cable off. This did indeed reset everything back to normal, just haven't drove anywhere yet.
So now the question, do I dive in and replace the Temp Sensor, replace the thermostat as well, or go with the thinking that the UNCORRODED battery terminal is the issue?
What has someone's firm resolution been to never having the issue arise again?

Between the Reverse light LEDs destroying my battery , the transmission flares from 2nd to 3rd no one ever figured out, the shift to park issue which I know is a hour long but simple fix, and now this, I'm regretting buying this Acadia 6 months ago.

Also, what sensor is in the attached photo? Not the temp sensor right or? Because that looks to easy to replace if it is indeed the location.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Automotive exterior

Also, what sensor is in the attached photo?
Looks like an oil pressure sensor.

Read reply #3 in the thread linked to the post just above yours. The owner describes one seemingly viable solution to the "Steering Assist Reduced" (plus) problem. It appears the solution is covered by GM's new car power train warranty, so you don't have to DIY anything if your vehicle meets the warranty criteria.

So, it looks like you guys have nailed it on the 2014 Acadias ---- Engine Coolant Sensor needs replacing. I am helping a neighbor with a 2017 that appears to have the same issues ---- dash temp gauge reading cold, radiator fan running continuously from start-up and air conditioning running warm. Also have a warning on the dash saying "Steering Assist is Reduced" and a P0128 check engine code that says "Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temp). I suspect this is still part of the same issue, because they all showed up at the same time. GMC must've made a major engine change around 2016-17 because the engine compartment looks completely different than what I'm seeing on your enclosed videos. And I can't seem to find any videos or chats on the 2017s. So, my main question is "Where is the engine coolant sensor located on these newer engines?" I hope no one else is having this problem on their 2017 through 2019, but I hope someone knows where to start looking for this sensor. I don't really care to go ripping off all kinds of engine covers just to find it.
Thanks,
Gene
Can confirm that the issue is still occurring on the 2017 model…. Frustrating

Can confirm that the issue is still occurring on the 2017 model…. Frustrating
Mine too... 2017... started with just the steering assist reduced message... which was here and there. Then yesterday temp Guage just bottoms out and A/C didn't work. This continued from 10am until 5:25pm with consistent trips here and there, turning the vehicle off and letting it sit for a bit. Still nothing until half way through my trip to my son's football practice. It just magically showed a temp reading and im like I wonder if the A/C is back, sure enough it was. This morning it seemed ok. We shall see as the day goes on. Have you replaced anything yet?

Mine too... 2017... started with just the steering assist reduced message... which was here and there. Then yesterday temp Guage just bottoms out and A/C didn't work. This continued from 10am until 5:25pm with consistent trips here and there, turning the vehicle off and letting it sit for a bit. Still nothing until half way through my trip to my son's football practice. It just magically showed a temp reading and im like I wonder if the A/C is back, sure enough it was. This morning it seemed ok. We shall see as the day goes on. Have you replaced anything yet?
According to most in reading this thread. . . . most find either the coolant temperature sensor(s) (there may be more than one) or the engine thermostat as the cause. Maybe ask you dealer service department to please change one or both and see how it goes.
The coolant sensor is just a temperature activated devise and can fail.
The thermostat is a mechanical valve that reacts to the coolant temperature and allows coolant to flow through the engine and radiator. It can get "stuck" open . .. . closed. . .. or somewhere in between.

After replacing the thermostat, my issues were still there, but after driving the vehicle for a short time the next day, the gauge started working, A/C started working and check engine light finally went away. I have been driving the vehicle since and it has been running good for about a week now. Im not sure if the thermostat fixed the issue, but right now all is good. Ill let you know if the problems come back.
Did the thermostat fix this? We just paid $700 for the mechanic to diagnose and replace thermostat and change oil and then found this forum after feeling totally ripped off. If the problem isn't fixed, I will be ticked! 😳

Ok. My 2017 acadia has been doing this intermittently off and on for a year. Lasts about a week. It just started doing it again today. So after reading this forum I tightened the negative and positive battery terminals without removing them and it didn't help. I tried staring it a couple more times and it still gave the power steering assist message and no a/c. So then i took off the negative terminal and cleaned it. Than i took off the positive terminal and cleaned it. Tightened the fuses next to it also. Put positive back on and tightened. Than negative back on then tightened. Sprayed battery protection on them. Started it back up and everything works again. I tried starting it 3 more times and it works great. I think the terminals are the ticket. Just wanted to share my experience
Any problems since the terminals fix???

61 - 80 of 251 Posts