GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Genesmachines. I feel confident that the problems will come back for the Acadia, as mine have now come and gone several times over the last 9 months. I think my next try is a new thermostat? if anyone has any additional information, please share.

·
Super Moderator
21,140 Posts
... Still leery about the thermostat code, but I can't even see where that is ---- someplace low on the engine where it would be a bear to try to get at. ...
Following the cooling system hoses and pipes to locate the thermostat seems like a no-brainer.

p.s. The parts link was for Denali, SLE, and SLT 3.6L V6. It didn't make sense to me. I'm used to engine coolant sensors placed either near the thermostat, or somewhere in a cylinder head's water jacket.

·
Super Moderator
21,140 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, I just replaced the thermostat and Im still having the same issues. Did anyone else go through this? How did you fix it? Im thinking its electrical?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually have a 2017 Acadia Denali and mine started doing this exact same thing about 6 months ago, but a couple days later, everything went back to normal. I read on this forum that the Coolant Temp Sensor was the main problem on the older models, so I went to the GMC dealer and purchased a new sensor. I figured I would wait until it problems happen again, and then change the sensor. However, the Acadia ran great all summer, until last week, the temp gauge dropped to 0, the air blew warm, the rad fan was racing, and the "Steering Assist is Reduced " warning came on the dash. I drove the car the next day and in the middle of my drive, everything started working again. Then last weekend, I finally had time to replace the Coolant Temp Sensor. It is not in the same place as everyone says for the older models. It took me 3 hours to find it, but I finally did and replaced it. It is actually on the top of the engine, left side under the air intake cover. I thought everything would be fine, but then today, all my problems came back. Now I'm puzzled, what is wrong with these that this problem keeps coming back? Do you think its the thermostat?
Hello, I am experiencing the same issue and was wonder if you were yet to find a solution for the 2017 Acadia? I’m puzzled as well along with the GMC dealership who’s had my car for a week dropping it of 3 different times for that same problem. Please help me if you have found a solution to this ongoing Acadia problem. I can’t believe this is happening, it’s such a nice truck!

·
Super Moderator
21,140 Posts
OK, I just replaced the thermostat and Im still having the same issues. Did anyone else go through this? How did you fix it? Im thinking its electrical?
Hello, I am experiencing the same issue and was wonder if you were yet to find a solution for the 2017 Acadia? I’m puzzled as well along with the GMC dealership who’s had my car for a week dropping it of 3 different times for that same problem. Please help me if you have found a solution to this ongoing Acadia problem. I can’t believe this is happening, it’s such a nice truck!
I'm really surprised the techs aren't looking at a BCM communication problem. It's the BCM which controls the instrument panel (IP). The BCM is the final link for displaying messages and telling gauges what they are supposed to show you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After replacing the thermostat, my issues were still there, but after driving the vehicle for a short time the next day, the gauge started working, A/C started working and check engine light finally went away. I have been driving the vehicle since and it has been running good for about a week now. Im not sure if the thermostat fixed the issue, but right now all is good. Ill let you know if the problems come back.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
790 Posts
After replacing the thermostat, my issues were still there, but after driving the vehicle for a short time the next day, the gauge started working, A/C started working and check engine light finally went away. I have been driving the vehicle since and it has been running good for about a week now. Im not sure if the thermostat fixed the issue, but right now all is good. Ill let you know if the problems come back.
Ive had the same issue you were having and replacing the T-Stat did infact fix the problem. If it hasn’t returned yet I would have to say that its pretty safe to assume that was the culpfit. Definitely keep us posted to any changes but fingers crossed I think you should be ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2017 and had the same problem earlier this year- I was on vacation and was taking to a nearby dealer and the problem just went away. I plan on trying thermostat replacement. For those of you who did the thermostat replacement, where is it located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 acadia thts doing the same thing. I just bought a new temp sensor but i haven't replaced it yet. Not 100% sure it will fix the problem. Seems to be an intermittent though. I dont see how a new thermostat would help either because it happens right at first start for the day when the engine is cold. the "steering assist" message comes up right away. Fan kicks on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dont waste your time with the sensor. Bite the bullet and replace the thermostat. That will fix the problem. It doesn't seem right, but I replaced my sensor first and still had the problems. I then replaced the thermostat and I've been driving the vehicle for 2 months and have not had any issues. I wasn't to optimistic about replacing a mechanical item to fix these issues, but it worked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont waste your time with the sensor. Bite the bullet and replace the thermostat. That will fix the problem. It doesn't seem right, but I replaced my sensor first and still had the problems. I then replaced the thermostat and I've been driving the vehicle for 2 months and have not had any issues. I wasn't to optimistic about replacing a mechanical item to fix these issues, but it worked.
Ok thnx. I'll have to get one. I was also wondering if the body control module might be an issue. Thought about getting one and reprogramming it. It got to be one of those three things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m late to the game on this but was recently having the same issue with my wife’s 2017 Acadia. The mobile mechanic replaced the battery terminal and it’s been all good ever since then. This was after I suggested replacing the thermostat so I saved quite a bit of money. Just wanted to share in case it could help someone else having the same issue (steering assist reduced, thermostat on C, engine reviving, and no AC).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m late to the game on this but was recently having the same issue with my wife’s 2017 Acadia. The mobile mechanic replaced the battery terminal and it’s been all good ever since then. This was after I suggested replacing the thermostat so I saved quite a bit of money. Just wanted to share in case it could help someone else having the same issue (steering assist reduced, thermostat on C, engine reviving, and no AC).
What battery terminal did he replace?

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017 Acadia Denali 3.6, Just had same issue, coolant temp reading 0, fan running full speed, steering assist reduced warning. I first replaced thermostat, which is doable, but not an easy task. Located on top of motor passenger side. Have to pull air Intake to get to it. Able to separate radiator intake pipe at the thermostat housing elbow and did not have to pull the fuel rails.

This did not resolve the issue. I then had to tear it all back apart to change the engine coolant temperature sensor which is located right next to thermostat housing. I suggest if you change thermostat just go ahead and replace this, as it is $15 and not much work while you have it torn apart. Dealer wanted $900 to replace thermostat. Took me 3-4 hours and cost $175 for both thermostat and sensor. Took 2 hours the second time I tore it apart for the sensor. After all that it did not resolve issue.

I then saw where one guy had battery cable replaced and I really just thought it may be a ECM issue at that point. So I went out and unplugged negative battery cable for about 10 minutes to reset ECM. And that worked, for now anyhow.

I’ve had several other electrical glitches with this car, like door locks not working right, brake lights staying on, etc. So I’d say if you are experiencing any issue with the 3.6 engine Acadia, unhook negative battery cable for 10 minutes which reboots ECM. Now here’s hoping that my issue does not come back and that this solution helps someone else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I also have a 2017 SLT and I am struggling to find the Engine coolant sensor. Can someone post a picture or a decent diagram to help me out? Also, can someone share the part numbers for the thermostat and sensor. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. I also have a 2017 SLT and I am struggling to find the Engine coolant sensor. Can someone post a picture or a decent diagram to help me out? Also, can someone share the part numbers for the thermostat and sensor. Thanks!
The Engine coolant sensor is right next to the thermostat housing. It is on passenger side, on top center of engine. If you stand on the passenger side fender well, you can see both the thermostat housing elbow and the sensor. If you are having these same issues, you should try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes or so and see if this fixes your issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMG_3346.JPG IMG_3337 (1).JPG IMG_3347.jpg

Here is a picture of the sensor, the thermostat assembly and the location of both the thermostat housing and sensor located right beside the housing. it it kinda hidden under the intake on the passenger side. The thermostat house runs from the passenger side to the drivers side and then 90's and head toward the radiator and attaches to the upper radiator hose. Maybe if you can find the upper radiator hose and follow it, you can fin where the thermostat housing is, and the sensor is literally about 1 inch from it..

21 - 40 of 46 Posts