GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody using the Acadia to pull a trailer has seen their temperature fluctuate while stopped.

The Acadia I have has the towing option and is being used to pull a 2009 C17 Trailcruiser (dry weight approx. 2700lbs). Once taking into consideration options on the trailer, family and cargo I am likely towing around 3400 lbs. This is below the vehicle capacity of 4500 lbs. The issue or concern I have is when I am pulling the trailer and come to a stop and sit for a minutes the temperature gauge rises. This is when the outside temperature is 72 F (23 C). The temperature gauge will rise to just below the ¾ mark. Given I live in eastern Ontario, the area is relatively flat, hence I am not overworking the vehicle.

I brought the Acadia to the dealership and the service manager told me there was nothing wrong with my vehicle unless it goes into the red zone. I phoned GM Canada and they informed me that so long as the gauge does not go past the ¾ mark there are no issues. My concern is what happens when I am pulling the trailer on a very hot day and find myself in bumper-to-bumper traffic or climb a long grade

I am interested in understanding if anybody else has noticed this while pulling a trailer and if this is normal operation for this vehicle?

I should also note that coolant level is good and the fans do turn on, though I can not figure out how the fans have been programmed.

I would greatly appreciate any comments.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
DPB said:
I was wondering if anybody using the Acadia to pull a trailer has seen their temperature fluctuate while stopped.

The Acadia I have has the towing option and is being used to pull a 2009 C17 Trailcruiser (dry weight approx. 2700lbs). Once taking into consideration options on the trailer, family and cargo I am likely towing around 3400 lbs. This is below the vehicle capacity of 4500 lbs. The issue or concern I have is when I am pulling the trailer and come to a stop and sit for a minutes the temperature gauge rises. This is when the outside temperature is 72 F (23 C). The temperature gauge will rise to just below the ¾ mark. Given I live in eastern Ontario, the area is relatively flat, hence I am not overworking the vehicle.

I brought the Acadia to the dealership and the service manager told me there was nothing wrong with my vehicle unless it goes into the red zone. I phoned GM Canada and they informed me that so long as the gauge does not go past the ¾ mark there are no issues. My concern is what happens when I am pulling the trailer on a very hot day and find myself in bumper-to-bumper traffic or climb a long grade

I am interested in understanding if anybody else has noticed this while pulling a trailer and if this is normal operation for this vehicle?

I should also note that coolant level is good and the fans do turn on, though I can not figure out how the fans have been programmed.

I can not offer assistance with this because I have not towed with mine. But I wanted to welcome you to the forum, and applaud :clap: you for posting your first post about a problem in the proper topic section.
I see that you profile information has some of your vehicle details, be sure to update your geographical location and more vehicle details in your signature line.
Welcome and good luck with getting your problem/question answered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been pulling my 18ft. Celebrity boat this summer with my Acadia since the transmission in my truck is out. I would say that I'm probably at about 3000 lbs. on the towing weight. I have the towing package and when towing, I run with the tow button engaged.

The temperature gauge did the same thing yours did; rise to almost the 3/4 mark when stopped for a short time, but as soon as I was moving again, the gauge would return to it's normal spot.

Keep in mind, I live in Kansas and the temperature at the time was, if I remember correctly, 97-98 degrees F.

As long as we were moving, the temperature gauge stayed put and never moved.

I chalked the increase in temperature to slower water flow through the cooling system while at an idle after towing at 75 mph. I'm curious if you were to remain stopped, would the cooling system eventually "recover" the bring the temperature back down to normal. If I get a chance, I will try it this holiday weekend as we will be headed to the lake.

By the way, I am impressed at the towing ability of the Acadia. I tow my boat down the Kansas Turnpike at 75-78mph and it doesn't even feel as if I'm towing anything at all; acceleration is excellent along with maintaining speed.

·
Registered
659 Posts
DPB said:

Although the Acadia cooling system does normally regulate at about the halfway point, excursions above that are normal in my experience when the system is bearing a load. There appears to be a secondary control point at about the 2/3 to 3/4 point where some other part of the system seems to come into effect, probably a set point for a higher speed mode of the cooling fan or something of that sort. I also noted this phenomenon on my '07 with towing package under high load conditions such as steep climbing at slow speed in hot temperatures and such. I have seen it a number of times and I can't tell you exactly what goes on there but it does seem to control at that point again. Its my understanding that when you really are approaching overheat, the computer will actually give you a message and put you into a lower power mode.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Since the situation is taking place while the vehicle is stopped, I think GerryL is correct. GM powered vehicles I own with dual electric fans have low and high on/off settings. I can say the 1998 Camaro factory settings are fan 1 on @ 226 off @ 219 and fan 2 on @ 234 off @ 227. They are disabled above 35 MPH. It sounds like the Acadia is programmed the same way. After the load pulling has generated the extra heat and the airflow has subsided (the vehicle stopped), the water temp is getting hot enough to cycle the high speed fan operation. In this towing circumstance, the extra heat from the transaxle is more than likely being routed through the radiator (I'm not sure if the tow package uses an external cooler or just a different radiator).

Driving at 35-45+ down the road usually generates more air than the fans can pull, so the computer shuts them off at a set speed.

I would not be concerned unless the temperature did not come back down.

·
Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
There may be different settings based upon trans oil temperature, as well. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is normal operating conditions for every tow vehicle I've driven. Currently my 3/4 ton GMC Savana towing 7k lbs. does the same thing. Did you have your air conditioning on? This will cause the temp to rise even more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi I read your post as we are thinking about getting atrailer similiar in weight I thought I would reply and see what your thought on towing are.
Please read my post (included below) and let me know.
My e-mail ady is [email protected]

My post

We have an 07 with a trailer towing package therefore the truck is rated at 4700 lbs fully loaded capable of towing.

Recently we have test towed 2 trailers one weighing 3500 lbs empty and one weighing 2800 lbs empty.

At 100 kilometers/hour (about 60 mph) the engine was showing 3000 rpm and it was in 5th gear the rpm did not significantly change from one trailer to the next.

On some small inclines the truck dropped down to about 80kph, at times I kicked it down to 4th gear and it was showing 4000 rpm.
Does this sound like a good driving experience?

I know form driving this vehicle for over 2 years that:

First it gets crappy gas mileage 14 liters/ 100 kilometers (about 20 mi/gal) and that is if it is driven at around 2000 rpm. I shudder to think what it would be at 3000 rpm.

I have read in the forum that towing with the Acadia is not a good thing, towing package or not, but have not seen anyone with some real experinces in towing.

I am a little leary of heading off on a across country trip with a trailer.

Can anyone (car mechanics) tell me, would travelling at 3000 rpm all day be detramental to the engine/transmission etc!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Some have towed with the Acadia and said it did fine. I have towed with mine several times with a trailer that weighed about 3200 lbs loaded and the car did alright, but it certainly does not have an abundance reserve power if needed or when climbing hills. I don't think running the engine at 3000 rpm would hurt it, but of course your mileage will suffer. I think towing a 4500 lbs trailer with the Acadia would not be a pleasant experience at all even though it is rated to tow that much. The engine just doesn't have enough torque to handle heavy loads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the replies. I am left with the feeling that this may be normal operation for the Acadia.

I will update my profile information. Still making my way around the site.

In regards to the other comments:

If I remain idling long enough or when I start to move again the temperature comes back down. I have never experienced the temperature gauge moving while towing. Till now, it has only happened when I come to a stop while towing a trailer. This happens whether the A/C is on or off.

In regards to pulling a travel trailer, I do not have a lot of experience yet, especially with the Acadia. I hope to get a lot more over the summer months. When I bought the trailer last summer, I started towing with a Buick Rendezvous. I found I was really pushing the Buick. I underestimated the drag pulling a full trailer. My previous towing experience was hard top tent trailers and utility trailers. Hence I traded it in for the Acadia. Compared to the Buick, the Acadia has a lot more solid feeling when I am towing and I have had no issues while pulling the trailer with the Acadia (other than the temperature gauge).

In regards to the RPMs, I typically travel at 90 kph, and the motor sits in 4th running at about 2800 rpm. If I drive at 105 kph and if it is flat the Acadia will go into 5th, (2200 rpm) but it has a hard time maintaining speed.

In regards to fuel consumption, 24L/100kms (approx. 10 mpg US), which was the same as the Buick, an eye opener just the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay so here is something I can't find. We have an 07 acadia and have been having the same problem you do towing our new camper. So we took it to the local dealer to see why it would be doing this and as a major shock to us they informed us that our 2007 was never meant to tow over 2000lbs without towing package. This was a huge shock to us because our owners manual clearly states it will tow 4500lbs never mentioning with or without this V92 towing package.
After reading your post I find it interesting that you have the towing package and are having the same problem I'm being told to spend all this money on to add a heavy duty cooling system to a vehicle doing the same as yours without the towing package???

Has anyone else had our scenario where they tried to pull 4500 lbs vs 2000 because they were believed what the owners manual told them.

thanks

curiously also how did everyone else find out about being able to only tow the 2000lbs vs what was in your owners manual?

·
Registered
956 Posts
l_m_o1 said:
Okay so here is something I can't find. We have an 07 acadia and have been having the same problem you do towing our new camper. So we took it to the local dealer to see why it would be doing this and as a major shock to us they informed us that our 2007 was never meant to tow over 2000lbs without towing package. This was a huge shock to us because our owners manual clearly states it will tow 4500lbs never mentioning with or without this V92 towing package.
After reading your post I find it interesting that you have the towing package and are having the same problem I'm being told to spend all this money on to add a heavy duty cooling system to a vehicle doing the same as yours without the towing package???

Has anyone else had our scenario where they tried to pull 4500 lbs vs 2000 because they were believed what the owners manual told them.

thanks

Even many pickup trucks are not rated to tow very much without an optional tow package. I always get a tow package on any vehicle I buy that has that option. It is money well spent.

With the Acadia tow package I'm not sure you get a bigger radiator, but you get increased cooling for the transmission, the hitch, wiring harness, and the tow mode for the transmission. The Acadia tows lighter trailers fine, but I would not tow the maximum weight allowed on roads that have a lot hills or high altitudes. In my opinion it would really struggle with the power.
curiously also how did everyone else find out about being able to only tow the 2000lbs vs what was in your owners manual?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife uses the Acadia to pull our boat to the lake (I pull the camper with the Duramax). She hasn't said anything about it getting hot, but I will ask her to keep an eye on it when we go on our next trip.

She is pulling an 18' Chaparral boat (my guess is at the very most 3500lbs). We usually go about 65-70mph and it works just fine for us. (5000' altitude and 80-90F air temps)

tk

·
Registered
956 Posts
tmk50 said:
My wife uses the Acadia to pull our boat to the lake (I pull the camper with the Duramax). She hasn't said anything about it getting hot, but I will ask her to keep an eye on it when we go on our next trip.

She is pulling an 18' Chaparral boat (my guess is at the very most 3500lbs). We usually go about 65-70mph and it works just fine for us. (5000' altitude and 80-90F air temps)

tk
I have a home at an altitude of 7000'. My Acadia temp. does rise significantly when climbing the mountain, but has never overheated. My trailer is around 3000 lbs. I'm not so sure how it would've handled 4500 or 5200 lbs. My guess is it would have been really straining climbing the grade and I doubt it would do much to enhance the longevity of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have since talked to another dealer and the service representative believes this normal operation for the vehicle.

Big bear craig, can you clarify “rise significantly”? Have you ever seen the temperature rise above the ¾ mark?

I am surprised by how much the temperature gauge fluctuates given my driving conditions.

thanks

·
Registered
956 Posts
DPB said:
I have since talked to another dealer and the service representative believes this normal operation for the vehicle.

Big bear craig, can you clarify “rise significantly”? Have you ever seen the temperature rise above the ¾ mark?

I am surprised by how much the temperature gauge fluctuates given my driving conditions.

thanks
It does rise to about the 3/4 mark but that is as high as it goes. It is probably normal for for it to rise this much with a load or on a hot day. I didn't think so at first, but I accept it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay so I may come across as just needing to vent but I really do want some opinions on this situation...

I bought a 2007 Acadia in March of 07 without tow package and made it the family vehicle. Other than TSB really don't have that much to gripe about however now there is a new concern.
We decided to buy a camper to pull behind to start traveling. I consulted the owners manual to find my towing capacity so we could start shopping for campers. My owners manual clearly stated 4500lbs. I questioned each place we shopped for a camper at and they all pulled up 4500 lbs also. So we bought a 3000 lb camper and put a weight distributing hitch and took off. After noticing a slight difference in temperature when towing we went to the dealer we bought from and first question I asked was tell me what my vehicle will tow. They said 4500lbs. So after leaving the car there for the dealership to look over I get a phone call telling me after searching on the internet for a while they found about the TSB saying they omitted the part about the V92 towing package in my owners manual and that I can only tow 2000lbs. Now this TSB shows how after July 07 they changed the owners manual books to clearly show your towing options are FWD of AWD with a V-92 package 4500lbs and FWD of AWD without a V-92 package is only 2000lbs. No where do I believe in either manual does it state what all is included in their tow package.

So now the dealership wants an additional $1000 to add the heavy duty cooling system needed they say to be at towing capacity of 4500lbs.

I honestly feel GM is responsible for this because they omitted this from the owners manual when my car was sold. My dealership service manager says he agrees however after much arguing bt/w the service manager and GM and me and GM they say they are not responsible.

What does everyone think??

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I looked in the 2007 manual I downloaded as a reference material, and it also says on page 374 the rating is 4500 pounds (it says nothing about V92). This was changed in the 2008 manual on page 4-34 where the 2000 pounds is listed for the non-V92 vehicles.

While it appears to be an error in the manual, I don't necessarily see this as duplicity on GM's part, since they have specifically offered HD cooling on tow and fleet (police/taxi) type vehicles for a long time for those wanting to use their vehicle for these purposes. It could be that GM did not determine a towing capacity for the 2007 models w/o the towing package, and that section of the manual was only for those with the towing package (see below for their language there). From my reading of that section, that is the impression I get. What may have happened is a number of people bought the 2007 Acadia w/o the tow package and then tried to add on a hitch and they had problems (some 2007 models had transmission issues as noted elsewhere on the forum). This prompted GM to revise the 2008 manual to include information for people wanting to use a vehicle for purposes for which it was not optioned/equipped.

If you didn't order/get the option, this is similar to buying a pickup w/o the option. If you later want to tow with such a vehicle, most owners add an external trans cooler. I think you'd have an uphill battle to get GM to pay for this since it was not ordered that way, especially in light of this from page 3 of the 2007 manual:
This manual includes the latest information at the time it was printed. We reserve the right to make changes after that time without further notice.

Also, on page 374 it says this (emphasis added):
Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming only the driver is in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment.
Your vehicle does not have the equipment, so from a purely legalistic perspective I don't see liability for GM to provide it.

It may pay to get a second opinion on the upgrade- what exactly are they going to replace? I know for the 2009 model, the radiator is different, but have not learned if this is due to being physically larger or having a larger internal cooler, etc. It could well be that you can get a reputable transmission shop to install a good cooler for far less than the dealer quote. Since the towing puts the load on the transmission, this is where the heat builds up & you need the HD cooling. An external cooler may well do exactly what you need.

One thing to keep in mind is you have a 4700+ (empty) pound vehicle with a 3.6L V6 motor. Motors of this size are generally found in 2 and 4 door cars that weigh a lot less than the Acadia- as an extreme example, suspension considerations aside, would you want to tow a 4000 pound trailer with a Toyota Camry? The 3.5L V6 Camry has a curb weight of 3400-3500 pounds and a towing capacity of 1000 pounds. I think the 4500 or higher late 2009 5200 pound rating is overly optimistic in my experience of pulling car haulers with a V8 truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts