GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Been that way for a while on some of the German luxury vehicles. They all have low oil sensors and warning messages and alerts.

Most likely way more reliable than depending on an owner to check the oil.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Porsche (sports cars at least) haven't had a physical dipstick for quite some time. My 911 doesn't have a physical dipstick, but it does have a virtual one you can call up on a display. They pretty much tell you to not worry about it unless the the car tells you to do something. Judging from the Porsche forums, that is a hard pill to swallow for many owners.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that may be the future. I know that I am getting more lax all the time about checking my vehicles. When a vehicle has never used any oil you sort of forget about it. Neither our Acadia nor SRX has ever used any oil.

George

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Also, no easily checked transmission fluid level on newer 8, 9, and 10 speed transmissions. No dip stick on those either.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a VW Touareg (similar to a cayenne) that does not have a oil dipstick. The tube is there with a pull plug, but no metal stick attached. As others have said, the vehicles computer and display is supposed to give you the oil level and change intervals. Reading the forums, many owner's have replaced the plug with a dipstick from another model just for there own peace of mind for checking the level and condition of the oil. The other odd thing about the Touareg is you can't add transmission fluid from the top of the engine as in most vehicles. If you need to add or change fluid, it is sucked in from the drain plug underneath with the engine running only at a certain operating temperature range and it needs to be connected to a computer to monitor temp...dealer only maintenance. Not something the average person can do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just read that vehicles are coming without dip sticks.

If a vehicle that does not have a dip stick runs low on oil and I get no notice who pays for any damage? I guess that the vehicle computer will show no message?

George
Considering GM had multiple lawsuits from idiots, they weren't able to put exact mileage for next oil change on the window sticker. Basically same fools that would try to sue for coffee being hot, so have to put on cup.."contents are hot"

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just read that vehicles are coming without dip sticks.

If a vehicle that does not have a dip stick runs low on oil and I get no notice who pays for any damage? I guess that the vehicle computer will show no message?

George
It doesn't mean that you can't check the oil. My MINI doesn't have a dipstick....I even taught my wife to check the oil periodically. Just park on a level surface and press the button. They have to do this for the mutton heads that can't even open a hood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts