GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with applying "Teflon coating" to your vehicle's exterior and/or interior? I have an '08 SLT-1 on order and I was asked to consider having this treatment applied prior to receiving the vehicle. They gave me a price of $399.00 to do the outside, $699.00 to do the exterior and interior.

The lady selling it said that the teflon would protect the paint job over the long haul against such things as bird poop, bugs, etc. Also said that the interior application would help to maintain the leather and make spills less of a problem. There's supposed to be some type of warranty (could be through the dealer) associated with this treatment, but I don't have the specifics.

???

·
Registered
395 Posts
My parents did the teflon thing on a car back in 1990. I don't think they would do it again. In their case, I doubt it was even done because it was delivered with packing tape on the roof and other things that made it very suspicious.

I got the pitch when I bought mine but it was not a hard sell. I think it is mostly just profit they try to add to the deal to improve the numbers. You can get a professional wax job for less than $100 and two cans of Scotchguard for the interior cost about $15. You are correct that there is supposed to be a warranty but I personally wouldn't spend the money.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Its really nothing more than an expensive wax job. If you would consider paying a detailer that sort of money for waxing the car than by all means, its a reasonable value. Considering that its a new car and they don't even have to put much effort into cleaning and prep, its big time profit for them. I can guarantee you that it will last no longer than an average waxing. These days, new car pricing is so competitive that dealers often make more money in the rediculously over priced interior/exterior "protection" than they do in actually selling the car. I would wait a month or two and spend half the money with a quality detailer than pay the high profit dealer price. Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Do a Google search for "Teflon Auto Coating." There are specific message boards and information on the subject.
From what I read, it's a gimmick and may do more harm than good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ever wonder how they convince those little Teflon particles to "stick" to the paint but at the same time repell everything on the top side? :bs:

Save your money.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
They had something similar a number of years ago where the dealer would 'seal' your car for a huge price. It quickly dropped out of sight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A couple of cans of Scotchgaurd on the carpet/seats and a regular waxing with Zymol does wonders and its alot cheaper!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
For $700 you could have a professional detailing (inside and out) done once a year for the next 4 to 5 years, if you do not want to do it yourself - you should be able to get a full inside out detail for $150 - depends on where you live it might be more. Anyway - keep the $$$ in your bank earning interest rather than in the dealers bank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the insightful responses. I think I'm leaning towards not having this teflon service.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That stuff is a scam. It costs them like $100 at most to have a detailer come do it and it's pure profit. When I got my Acadia I first did a clay bar to it, then I did a light polish with a Porter Cable Polisher, then I sealed the paint with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, then I topped that with Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax. I have since washed every week, and added Pinnacle Spray on wax, and another coat of Pinnacle Sig Series II paste wax. I can guarantee my car is far more protected and has better shine than what they are trying to sell for $700. Plus with the $700 saved I am invested in years of high end car care products so that the car can stay perfectly swirl free and shine like new for ever. Now that's the guarantee I am looking for, not some scammed BS from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
MUMFORD- I don't know if you are anywhere near a Prestege Car Wash, but I was there yesterday getting the inside detailed. (Why bother with the outside since it will rain for the next few weeks?) Any way, they do the same wax package that the dealers do and they charge $129. Supposedly they are the only people, in Houston, that can do this outside of a dearlership. They will do one "touch up" if needed within one year. I am not sure if he was full of it or not, but I am thinking about it since it is supposed to block UV rays and I don't want to dull the red paint!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am considering the "Teflon" paint protection on a new 08 Acadia. It is called "TST 5000" from Total Systems Technology in Pittsburgh, PA. $299 for just the paint and guaranteed to last 5 years showroom shine without ever waxing. Anyone ever heard of it or tried it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Loel Stein said:
I am considering the "Teflon" paint protection on a new 08 Acadia. It is called "TST 5000" from Total Systems Technology in Pittsburgh, PA. $299 for just the paint and guaranteed to last 5 years showroom shine without ever waxing. Anyone ever heard of it or tried it?
Save your money, it's not worth it. I can guarantee you that A) It will NOT last 5 years and B) your paint will NOT have a "showroom shine" after 5 years without doing some maintenance to it (ie polish & protect with a wax/sealant).

Also there is no paint protection available that will protect your car from normal swirls and scratches from washing and drying, one of the main causes of dulling in 2 stage (base and clearcoat) paints.

Here is a car after 3 years of normal washing & drive through car washes and a Teflon protection plan:

Here are more shots:
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/highlander.html

Save the $300.00 - wash your car with quaily car soap and wash mitts, get some good microfiber towels for drying and waxing & apply a good quality wax or sealant every 2-3 months...it will look 100x better in 5 years.

·
Registered
659 Posts
New car pricing is so competitive these days that there is often more profit for the dealer in these huge mark up services than there is in the car itself. Think about that for a bit and then if you want a good protective coating put on, find a good detailer who will do a much better job for far less.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Personally, I'd invest the money in Zaino products, it wouldn't cost nearly that much to keep it showroom new for five years. That, or as other posters have mentioned, get a thorough detailing once or twice a year. :cheers: Erik

1 - 16 of 16 Posts