GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and 16 year old daughter (still driving on a learner's permit) were out yesterday in our 07 Acadia running errands and getting some practice behind the wheel.

To make a long, painful story short, my daughter drove about 8 miles (inluding 5 on the freeway) with the parking brake on. My wife noticed a smell and figured out what was going on, but too late. How you can drive and not notice all the warning lights or feel the brakes dragging is totally beyond my comprehension. I just don't get kids these days!

The car is at the dealer today. They just called and said the parking brake shoes (which are separate from the regular brakes) are shot and need replacing. The drums might be salvageable; they are going to try and turn them down. If this can be done, we'll have "only" a $400 repair. If turning doesn't work, we are looking at two new drums for $500/each.

Yet another item on the kids are expensive list...
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oh boy! I am sorry to hear that. Every time my son takes my Acadia, I go out and check it. He scraped my back bumper and told his dad instead of me. I will give him I am not the greatest person when it comes to dings, but...at least it wasn't the brakes! I am going out right now and talk to him about warning lights and how to "feel" if something is wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I'm learning that kids are generally stupid when it comes to cars. My son and a group of his friends were out in this girl's car. Apparently the parking brake was on, but none of them noticed it. The 2 boys actually were outside the car, trying to push it along for her. LMAO Kids. Seriously.

The best you can do is try to educate her on the basics of an automobile so that something like this does not happen again. Not to say that's a sure fire way to solve things because I've gone over simple basic things with my son on his car and it seems to go in one ear and out the other.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've been driving for 35 years and never have used the parking brake on a daily basis just for that reason. My girlfriend puts her parking brake on everytime she gets out of the car. Drives me nuts when I get in to move her car, don't notice the warning light, but certainly feel the drag before I realize that the brake was engaged. Where I grew up and learned how to drive parking bakes were to be used only when parking on a slope not in ones garage.

Just for that reason I taught my daughter to use the brake when on a slope. No need for it on level ground.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm the same way about the parking brake, and rarely use it myself. I never set it in the garage or on other flat parking lots, streets, etc.

Around here, the driver's ed teachers demand the kids always use it. They get scolded if they forget.

During the state driving test to get your license, there is some automatic point deduction if you fail to set the parking brake. Not enough to automatically fail, but still significant. As a result, all 3 of my kids set the brake every time. I've tried to "untrain" them, but without success. Apparently, the driver's ed instructor is much smarter than Dad. However, it's Dad who pays for repairs when stupidity occurs.

It basically drives me nuts. I have to remember to release it in the garage if one of them was the last driver. At least I notice it immediately, and don't head down the street with the brake dragging.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
You could always disable it... :angel:

I never use the parking brake. In fact, for Brandon's test drive, we had to figure out HOW to use the parking brake on the Acadia and how to release it. LOL! They aren't required to use it all the time, but they are required to use it when parking uphill/downhill.

The only time I recall using it was during a moment when it wasn't supposed to be used. I had a 1987 Pontiac Grand Am Turbo. I was 16. Driving down the highway at 45mph when suddenly the entire interior of the car immediately filled up with what I thought was smoke, but was actually steam from a blown heater core. Not knowing WTF was going on or being able to see where I was going, I slammed on my brakes, but they weren't stopping the car fast enough for me. I threw on the parking "read: emergency" brake, put the car into Park before it came to a complete stop, tossed open my driver's side door and hopped out. LOL Nearly got taken out by passing traffic. THAT is my experience with parking brakes. :confused:

Let's hope she never tries that one with your Acadia... ;)

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
There was a time when you HAD TO set the parking brake regularly so they would adjust properly and lessen wear on the front brakes (at least this is what they told me when my 1990 Grand Prix went through pads in 10K miles). I guess that's not an issue these days. I will count my blessings. My 18 and 21 year old daughters drive out acadia with some regularity despite having their own cars. No issues YET. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
xcskier said:
During the state driving test to get your license, there is some automatic point deduction if you fail to set the parking brake. Not enough to automatically fail, but still significant. As a result, all 3 of my kids set the brake every time. I've tried to "untrain" them, but without success. Apparently, the driver's ed instructor is much smarter than Dad. However, it's Dad who pays for repairs when stupidity occurs.
Sorry to hear about the repair cost- at least it didn't catch fire. This happens to trucks on occasion. You may be in a flat area, but things can go the other way as well with a manual trans vehicle and any type of grade. If the brake isn't set, they can roll away and the stopping process can be expensive. :)

I'm surprised with all the other (don't know of a nice way to say this) idiot proof things the Acadia does:
Can't grind starter when engine is running
Can't shift into park while moving

That something doesn't happen more than a flashing light.

We've discussed the use of the parking brake before. I think those of us that learned to drive in manual trans vehicles tend to use them, those with automatics tend not to do so. All of my vehicles except the Durango are manual trans vehicles, and right now in the level garage they are all parked in neutral with the parking brakes engaged. I default to using it when I drive the Acadia. Mrs. Blue (who also does not drive a manual trans vehicle) does not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer just called, and the car is ready for pickup.

Total damages were $304. Not as bad as it could have been, I suppose. It needed new brake shoes, but not new drums. They were ok after being turned.

He had to keep it overnight, as the parts runner delivered the brake shoes to the wrong dealership in a different town.

So, we're back on the road. A little lighter in the wallet and hopefully a little wiser.

Tonight will be a little class in "Reading Your Dashboard Gauges and Idiot Lights", taught by dad and attended by all drivers under the age of 30.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
You mean pads and rotors. No shoes or drums on the Acadia (front or back).

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kantkwit said:
Parking brake is a small drum on the back the rotor. It has shoes.
That's what I understood from the dealer. It's a separate system from the rear disc brakes. This was news to me. Seems like a pretty slick system, and probably adds to safety.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Learn something new every day :thumb:

·
Registered
614 Posts
xcskier said:
Tonight will be a little class in "Reading Your Dashboard Gauges and Idiot Lights", taught by dad and attended by all drivers under the age of 30.
Fridays class will be "Why turning up the radio to drown out any odd motor noises is a bad thing", and Mondays session is "The dipstick-what it's for and how to use it". Tuesday is "Gas stations---you can pull in and fill the tank using your own money".

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Can my son audit Tuesday's class?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but this is along the same lines...

Our driveway is sloped so we apply the parking break in the weird event that the vehicles jump out of park. Anyway, one winter the minivan (did not have the Acadia yet) was parked on the driveway and there was a heavy snowfall that night. Wife tried to back the van out onto the street and it was very difficult. Once on the street, she was barely able to drive forward. We thought it was the deep snow. I even got the Dodge Ram 3500 truck behind her to give her a push. Pushed her about half a block. I got into the van and noticed the parking break was still on. :banghead:

Its not just teens that forget! ::)

·
Registered
108 Posts
xcskier said:
My wife and 16 year old daughter (still driving on a learner's permit) were out yesterday in our 07 Acadia running errands and getting some practice behind the wheel.

To make a long, painful story short, my daughter drove about 8 miles (inluding 5 on the freeway) with the parking brake on. My wife noticed a smell and figured out what was going on, but too late. How you can drive and not notice all the warning lights or feel the brakes dragging is totally beyond my comprehension. I just don't get kids these days!

The car is at the dealer today. They just called and said the parking brake shoes (which are separate from the regular brakes) are shot and need replacing. The drums might be salvageable; they are going to try and turn them down. If this can be done, we'll have "only" a $400 repair. If turning doesn't work, we are looking at two new drums for $500/each.

Yet another item on the kids are expensive list...
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I think the primary instructor (Dad??) needs to be more thorough on the items he covers. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
skierman64 said:
I think the primary instructor (Dad??) needs to be more thorough on the items he covers. :)
Ouch, Skierman, that really hurt! :'(

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
This is all very funny but sadly true. I ocassionally grab one of my daughter's cars for a quick ride in town - don't even hear the engine start as the radio volume is through the roof. They're good and responsible drivers other than this one flaw which I continue to work on :banghead:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Teenagers-Mrs. Simms; sometimes I will hop in the Acadia after she drives it and the radio volume is loud for me; I must be getting old ;D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts