GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am stumped. I own a small business. I can claim the car as a business asset and decuct it. The GMC site says the car is eligible for a $25,000 deduction. So far, the only way I qualify for that is if the car is over 6,000 LBS. Website says the car is 4700+- LBS. Anyone dealt with this issue? Is there a special tax break or are they figuring the Acadia counts as over 6,000 LBS? If not using the minimum 6,000 LB limit then my deduction is only like $3,000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not a tax attorney, but I am self-employed and have dealt with similar issues. It is my understanding that they go by GVW (gross vehicle weight) and the GVW on an Acadia is 6400 lbs, so it would qualify.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dutchman said:
I'm not a tax attorney, but I am self-employed and have dealt with similar issues. It is my understanding that they go by GVW (gross vehicle weight) and the GVW on an Acadia is 6400 lbs, so it would qualify.
What would be the difference between gross weight and curb weight? Seems like that should be the same. I think I did see a 6400 weight number on Edmunds but assumed that was including maximum carrying capacity

·
Registered
423 Posts
Curb weight is what it weights empty, gross vehicle weight is what it is rated for. I think the difference between curb weight and GVW is what makes it deductable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts