GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Im not a "car guy" per se. My personal opinion is that Toyotas are really plain and unexciting looking. I looked at the 2007 Highlander at a car show and the 3rd row seat was a joke (very small, poor access). Interior to me looked cheap. Generally the Japanese cars feel small to me. I guess for me given superior styling, size, 3rd row access and better mileage the Acadia was the best choice.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
We looked ever so briefly at the Highlander but really disliked the weird interior and exterior styling and it was much smaller inside than the Acadia. Plus no OnStar.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It seems like you should be test driving the Highlander and the Acadia as much as you are able. The things I like and would value may not be the things that you consider most important. If it were me, I would need to make my own evaluation of the two because in the long run it is you that that has to live with your choice. That is exactly what I did. There is a lot to like about both vehicles. The biggest factor for me was the interior size of the Acadia and the amount of people and "stuff" you can haul. By the way, I also own a 04 Highlander.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You got to test drive couple different CUV's, in order to feel why Acadia better vehicle. So you can try CX-9, MDX ( but too much money), Ford Taurus X, Highlander and Veracruz, and may be Tribeca (too small 3rd row seat). Acadia has everything and combine all best above listed vehicles.
I think it has best ratio engine power and transmission performance to vehicle weight. So test and come back with your opinion and review (even you will not buy Acadia).

·
Registered
217 Posts
theButteredFist said:
Thanks so far for your replies.

I drove both (SLT2 vs. Sport) twice in the last two days. Still can't decide.
Give it a rest for a few days and then try them again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
big bear craig said:
The Toyota most likely will have a lot more power and a far better transmission.
That wasn't my impression when I drove the Highlander, but then, it's obvious your not happy with the Acadia transmission.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I wish I liked the Acadia better. It is my wife's car and she likes it ok, but has said she probably would not want another one. I think the Acadia has some real nice features, it rides very well, but I find the engine is noisy, the car is a little gutless, and the quality on mine is only so so. If the transmission was decent, and the performance was better, I would probably like it more, but as it stands now I wish we had something else.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We were in a similar situation as you and were considering the Acadia, Highlander, and 4-Runner. Everyone has different needs/expectations, but for us we liked the more luxurious interior, nicer/quieter ride, and roominess of the Acadia. Our 8 and 10 year old love having a row of seating to themselves, yet we can carry 7 adults more comfortably than we could in the Highlander - something we don't do often, but having that option was a bonus. If I had to pin down one thing is was probably the interior and exterior styling we liked better than the rest.

Having a GMC Yukon with 208,000 miles on it (with little done to it other than typical wear and tear parts) didn't hurt our decision either.

Good luck how ever you decide -

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its right that we all have different needs for the vehicle.. It took me all of 30 seconds after I sat in a Highlander that it was not for me. I am 6'5" tall and had a very hard time in the drivers seat and was barely able to manage my way to the (what Toyota calls a) newly spacious 3rd row. it was a joke.
I wanted to like it, I like Toyota's (my wife has an Avalon, its been a decent car) and it looked like the Highlander would fit my needs, which include room and features for 2 toddlers.

The Acadia had much more leg room in the drivers seat, as well as a useable 2nd and 3rd row.. I could actually sit in the 3rd row, with the 2nd row slid up a bit. I wouldnt want to take a long trip, but would be, and have been fine for short drives. It also has a bunch of room if you fold down the 2 rows.. and one feature that I did not realize until after I got the car was that the 3rd row is actually user removable by taking out 2 bolts.. I havent done that, but adds to the cargo space over other vehicles if ever needed.

so for me, resale value, 'toyota image', etc did not mean squat since I could not even fit in it..

best of luck on your search..!

·
Registered
542 Posts
big bear craig said:
The Toyota most likely will have a lot more power and a far better transmission. The resale value will probably be higher too. I'm not sure if I would buy the Toyota or not, but I would not buy the Acadia.
Toyota......Power? Isnt that an oxymoron.

The Acadia has plenty of power and better mileage.

My transmission is very smooth.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Keith said:
big bear craig said:
The Toyota most likely will have a lot more power and a far better transmission. The resale value will probably be higher too. I'm not sure if I would buy the Toyota or not, but I would not buy the Acadia.
Toyota......Power? Isnt that an oxymoron.

The Acadia has plenty of power and better mileage.

My transmission is very smooth.
I can confirmed it too. My trans after update does it very good. I'm really don't have any problems, which has discuss here. MPG gets better. I have 08' model.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Only if the Highlander was as beautiful than the Acadia then i'll go for it other than that there is still the mazda CX9, CX7, Murano, SRX,etc. to choose from.... ;D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go with the Highlander ....if you have a family of midgets. No offense to any little people on the board. ;D

·
Registered
46 Posts
big bear craig said:
I find the engine is noisy, the car is a little gutless, and the quality on mine is only so so. If the transmission was decent, and the performance was better, I would probably like it more, but as it stands now I wish we had something else.
I never thought I'd buy a GM but did with the Acadia and love it. The highlander to me is still blah styling and interior room is a joke compared to the Acadia. My tranny is smooth now (after flash), performance is great, and more than enough power for quick acceleration when needed. As far as gutless, maybe you should have gone with a gas guzzling V8 model.

·
Registered
956 Posts
paid36 said:
big bear craig said:
I find the engine is noisy, the car is a little gutless, and the quality on mine is only so so. If the transmission was decent, and the performance was better, I would probably like it more, but as it stands now I wish we had something else.
I never thought I'd buy a GM but did with the Acadia and love it. The highlander to me is still blah styling and interior room is a joke compared to the Acadia. My tranny is smooth now (after flash), performance is great, and more than enough power for quick acceleration when needed. As far as gutless, maybe you should have gone with a gas guzzling V8 model.
A car does not have to be a gas guzzler to be peppy. The problem with the Acadia is that the trans is not calibrated to match the performance of the engine. The V6 is no torque monster and develops most of it's power above 2500 rpm, but the trans constantly wants to upshift and drop the revs down into the teens where there is no power. This was done to improve the EPA numbers, but does very little in the real world except making this vehicle less desirable to drive.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
big bear craig said:
paid36 said:
big bear craig said:
A car does not have to be a gas guzzler to be peppy. The problem with the Acadia is that the trans is not calibrated to match the performance of the engine. The V6 is no torque monster and develops most of it's power above 2500 rpm, but the trans constantly wants to upshift and drop the revs down into the teens where there is no power. This was done to improve the EPA numbers, but does very little in the real world except making this vehicle less desirable to drive.
Let's hear it for the miscalibrated transmission. When I leave home, my Acadia is in 2nd gear before I exit the driveway from a full stop. I have an appointment to get the transmission reprogrammed ("flash" campaign) performed this week. I'll be back to let you know how much better the performance becomes. Frankly, I really enjoy the Acadia handling and ride. It's as good as that of my '99 Regal GS I traded for the Acadia. Using the manual shift mode (L) on the Acadia, I can feel the extra power provided by the V-6 packed into Acadias. I say, "go GM" this time. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Can you really compare the two? Yes they are both XUV's, but they are not even close to the same size. IMO if you are looking at both and the Highlander fits your needs you should be looking at the Highlander, Mazda CX-9 and Suzuki XL-7. Everybody keep knocking the Acadia for not being peppy enough, last I knew peppy was used in context with small cars not what essentially equates to a full size SUV. Do I think it could use more power? Yes, but I think it has plenty since it can merge onto the highway at 75 and pass just fine. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
956 Posts
coloradoGM said:
Can you really compare the two? Yes they are both XUV's, but they are not even close to the same size. IMO if you are looking at both and the Highlander fits your needs you should be looking at the Highlander, Mazda CX-9 and Suzuki XL-7. Everybody keep knocking the Acadia for not being peppy enough, last I knew peppy was used in context with small cars not what essentially equates to a full size SUV. Do I think it could use more power? Yes, but I think it has plenty since it can merge onto the highway at 75 and pass just fine. Just my 2 cents.
The problem is not a lack of power, the problem is poor transmission programming and this causes the vehicle to feel underpowered at times. If the programming was spot on I doubt there would be many complaints here. Is this really the best the worlds largest car maker can do?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.