GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some tinted film specifically designed for headlights and taillights and recently had a chance to install it. I added it to my tagline for posts, and I had another forum member ask for some pictures. The product is from a company called Lamin-x and it is a high quality 17mil thick to help hold up to weather and natural use. I chose the color smoke which offers 83% light passage still, however if I had to do over again I would opt for the Charcoal. According to the company charcoal is technically illegal for street cars, but given my application, it wouldn't have been an issue. Installation took me about an hour/hour and half. I was using bulk sheets that I laid out and trimmed myself, as opposed to precut templates which as of yet are not offered for the Acadia. All I needed was some water, a hair dryer, the plastic squegee (provided), and an X-acto knife. And some patience!

IMO the pictures don't do the tint justice as the lighting wasn't the best, but you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Are you planning to tint your headlights, too? If so, please post some pics when you're done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bet that tint makes the already poor back-up lights even worse.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not going to tint the headlights...safety first. They did have a blue that I thought about for a second, but it would just look tacky IMO. However if it weren't so expensive I would consider buying a clear to protect the lens from scratches, rock chips, etc...

As for the reverse light output, to your point I didn't really see much benefit to the light anyway so who cares. I hardly drive at night where I would be reversing in a dark place and need the lighting. I back into my driveway, but I use the side mirrors and other objects to know where I am at so no loss to me. Besides the reason someone would apply the tint is more for aestetic than function, and more people are going to see me while I am out driving rather than in reverse for a few moments getting out of my parking spot. :thumb:

·
Registered
812 Posts
:thumb: one way to make your ride different from the rest..... :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I am safety minded first and clear visibility for myself and others around me is most important. Reducing any visiblility is not a safety minded person, IMO. I keep my running lights on all the time too. Not a smart idea to cover up any lenses, IMO.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
teetertotter said:
I am safety minded first and clear visibility for myself and others around me is most important. Reducing any visiblility is not a safety minded person, IMO. I keep my running lights on all the time too. Not a smart idea to cover up any lenses, IMO.
I hear your point, and I think safety as well. Hence why I only tinted the portion of the lights that don't actually function as a brake light. You realize there is no bulb in the outer clear portion right? The red of the brakes does carry up into the clear section, but I still have a large enough light to alert other drivers of braking and turning. The reverse light is still plenty visible (remember my color choice only reduces light output by 17%, it's not a total blackout!), so safety to other motorists/passers-by is not compromised either.

Oh well guess I should learn by now...I will always enjoy the mods I perform to my cars more than anyone else, and not everyone will see the benefit or appreciate it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
looks great! It's nice to see a creative mod :thumb: When I get back to the states I may do the samething in red. :cheers:

·
Registered
362 Posts
imgntht said:
I will always enjoy the mods I perform to my cars more than anyone else
That's the point, right? Why would you do something to impress someone else?

·
Registered
812 Posts
imgntht said:
Oh well guess I should learn by now...I will always enjoy the mods I perform to my cars more than anyone else, and not everyone will see the benefit or appreciate it.
any possibility to add some aftermarket 22" black rims with chrome lips to go with your tint?
thats gonna be 1 sick package...... :thumb:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jfencl said:
imgntht said:
I will always enjoy the mods I perform to my cars more than anyone else
That's the point, right? Why would you do something to impress someone else?
Yeah actually...but I guess I enjoy it when others respect and appreciate my hard work and artistic creativity as well.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I enjoy seeing the mods. I am not that brave, but can appreciate what others do. I like the tint!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SioXie said:
any possibility to add some aftermarket 22" black rims with chrome lips to go with your tint?
I'm on the fence with this one..I will definitely get aftermarket rims(it was in the cards since day 1). However I can't nail down a style that I like AND feel will look good on the car. Size is whole 'nother story. While I think 22's would be the best aesthetically, my wife is adamant that 20 is the max from a ride quality standpoint. Based on the harsh ride of my last car, I can't say I blame her and I'm almost leaning towards the softer ride too...decisions, decisions :eek:hno:

·
Registered
812 Posts
imgntht said:
SioXie said:
I'm on the fence with this one..I will definitely get aftermarket rims(it was in the cards since day 1). However I can't nail down a style that I like AND feel will look good on the car. Size is whole 'nother story. While I think 22's would be the best aesthetically, my wife is adamant that 20 is the max from a ride quality standpoint. Based on the harsh ride of my last car, I can't say I blame her and I'm almost leaning towards the softer ride too...decisions, decisions :eek:hno:
:ditto: count me in when i purchased one, the same color as yours and probably the same mods, i think your decision boils down to the availability of aftermarket rims wheter 20s or 22s and their corresponding style (sadly not enough for now), you cant go wrong with a black car anyway IMO--- chrome, gun metals as well as any black rims just complement the color well (although i would say go with the black if you wanna be mean!!!). Photoshop is a big help! some tire dealers can do it for you before you purchase a rim.

I agree with you about the wheel size though, 20's seems to be in the median.... and i have seen some member's Acadias running them and still look cool.

good luck with your mods just dont forget the updates and the pics!!! if i can find some new wheels info ill post it! :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts