GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new here at the forum, and I just purchased an 08 Acadia SLE. GOt to say i am excited. just wanted to know is it ok if i switch from regular oil to synthetic?

the acadia that i bought has 30 000km on it.

Do i have to do an engine flush prior to using synthetic oil?

thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic at around 18,000 miles. Would have sooner but had a case of regular oil to use up. Nothing special you need to do when switching...all the full synthetics I'm aware of are fully compatable - just do a regular oil change and put the good stuff in. No special oil filter needed either. If you change your oil based on what the DIC says, it is set up assuming you use synthetic.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Agreed. No extra flushing is needed. Yes, there will always be some oil left in the engine somewhere, but don't worry about it.

Chris

·
Registered
159 Posts
this is kinda off topic from the acadia but i have been wondering if its ok to switch to synthetic at any time.. like my 2002 S-10 has 39,000 miles on it and has always had conventional oil so is it ok to switch now or better to just keep using conv.? its my first car so its ok if it would be best to just stick with the conventional for a couple years until i get my CAMARO! :eek: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I think you can switch anytime. It looks like you don't do many miles on the S-10 so if you switch to synthetic, you could probably go about a year (8,000 mi) if you desire. I have not used any synthetic....I have way too much dino to use up first and I also change more frequently than some (about 5,000 mis).

Chris

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I switched to synthetic at 93,000 with my 1990 Chevy Lumina. I sold it to a friend at 164,000 and he drove it to 226,000 with no engine problems. He totalled it so who knows.
I switched to synthetic in the 1993 Geo Tracker at 80,000 and sold it to a friend at 153,000. They are driving it now at 196,000 still with no engine issues.
I used synthetic in my 1997 Grand Prix at the 1st 3000 mile oil change and sold it to a friend at 157,000. He is driving it today with 227,000 with no engine issues.
I switched my 2004 Vibe at 42,000 and the Chevy Tracker at 62,000.
I started using synthetic in the Acadia at 6000.

From everything I read and my own experience, any of the issues with switching to synthetic are of the past. You can switch at any time and be OK. That is my opinion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had a couple instances of older vehicles breaking down synthetics prematurely if left for the longer mileage changeouts. ie, amsoil, etc. Generally, this is not a issue with new vehicles. If in doubt, an analysis will answer this question or routine oil changes at normal mileages. IMO.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have heard of several older vehicles developing leaks when swithching to synthetic oils. One thing to consider with a high mileage vehicle is that the synthetic oils have a different makeup and additive pack than conventional oils. This can cause certain deposits to break up causing havoc in an engine that is used to running conventional oil. It also lubricates seals and gaskets differently as well. I think it is best to keep an older vehicle using whatever oil it has been running on so that you have less problems. I dont think this would be a big issue with a car that is a year or two old but one that is 6 or 7 with 100 thousand miles or so it could cause big problems. Just something to think about......

·
Registered
428 Posts
I understand that most vehicles are okay with the seals and things with synthetic oil. I also know that about 3 years ago I had a Harley Davidson Sportster and HD told me not to use Synthetic Oil becuase it would leak out of the seals and that bike was brand new. So there probably are situations out there where synthetic oils will leak past seals.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
That is false. Harley Davidson now makes their own synthetic oil. They only support the use of their own brand, also adding to their coffers in doing so. Check out their website on this. Like WM, they probably contract with Big Oil to make it for them and relabel it as their own.

If an oil meets the API spec for the vehicle, it would be safe to use in that vehicle. Synthetic or not has been debated for years and the debate will live for many more years to come.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Actually it was Harley that warned me not to use their oil, which is Screaming Eagle Synthetic in the sportster. I was told by them that using their synthetic or anyone elses would cause leaks in the seals of the bike. I wanted to use the synthetic in the bike because we use the screaming eagle synthetic oil in the other harleys in the family. So this wasnt a case of them just wanting to sell their own oil.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Regular oil will decompose, destroy seals over time. That's why when switching from regular oil to synthetic you may see leaking. The best thing to do when switching from regular to synthetic is the flush the old oil out. Amsoil has an engine flush product. If you don't use the flush the new synthetic will remove harmful deposits left from the engine and may create a challenge. I have run the Amsoil and sell it and have no problems whatsoever... nor do any of my clients, friends and family.
If you truly want to drive your vehicle and keep it over time synthetic is the way to go. Regular oil does not have the amount of detergents and ingredients to protect your engine the best, especially at todays high running temps. Man made synthetics are better and a company like Amsoil who created the first and still the best selling synthetic on the market will protect your investment the best over time. This the company that pioneered long drain interval oils. No one, no one can challenge them. They are the best in the industry.

Bottom line is a synthetic is the way to go... some are truly better than others. Regular oil is the old way of thinking and will break down, create sludge, destroy seals and not benefit you and your investment over time.

I have worked for several car manufactures and it is typical to see synthetic in the crank case from the assembly line. The majority of manufactures are very wise and don't want to deal with engine warranty issues due to the fact that they are very costly. Synthetic is the best investment you and I can make these days.

·
Registered
912 Posts
After our intial trip around the southern US camping we will be switching to Mobil1 just like we did in our van and have been running ever since. We go atleast 10 thousand kilometers between each oil change and the engine seems to run smother and cooler could be my imagination but it seems to be the case.

·
Registered
912 Posts
3rd Timer said:
It's not your imagination... engines will run smoother and cooler with synthetic. BTW, the best over-the-counter oil filter at your local parts shop is WIX.
Really that is cool mind you my vehicles only ever go to the dealer to get the oil changed I buy my Mobil1 when it goes on sale at Wal Mart and Crappy Tire and Parts Source as the dealership charges way to much for it. So my oilchange consists of customer supplied oil and then a Goodwrench/delco oil filter.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
No engine flush required when switching to any FULL synthetic oil. I prefer Mobil 1, others like Amsoil and some Royal Purple. I change filter and oil at 10-12K since 1975. Mobil 1 does not begin to break down until 15,000 according to independent lab results.
I pay Sears $55.00 to change my oil and have used Mobil 1 since 1975.

Independent lab says that conventional oils do not begin to break down until 6000 miles. Change before that and you are throwing money away.
Jon

·
Registered
912 Posts
teetertotter said:
No engine flush required when switching to any FULL synthetic oil. I prefer Mobil 1, others like Amsoil and some Royal Purple. I change filter and oil at 10-12K since 1975. Mobil 1 does not begin to break down until 15,000 according to independent lab results.
I pay Sears $55.00 to change my oil and have used Mobil 1 since 1975.

Independent lab says that conventional oils do not begin to break down until 6000 miles. Change before that and you are throwing money away.
Jon
We do 10 thousand kilometers then change the oil. It costs us 28 bucks for the oil then 19 for the dealership to change it for us.

·
Registered
152 Posts
GAR said:
Gar, thanks for this link. :thumb: I was planning on changing to Mobil 1 synthetic at our 10K oil
change as I was under the impression that new engines required a break-in period with
conventional before switching...

I now plan to change at our 7K oil change instead, which will be in approximately 2 weeks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've read that you should change the factory oil at about 1000 miles to get any breakin particles and whatnot out and then start using synthetic..? What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts