GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A suggestion from a couple of friends (one an Acadia owner) said I should use Mobile 1 synthetic oil in my new 2009 starting with my first oil change. Although the cost is a little more, they claim that they get better MPG and that you don't change it as often.

Any thoughts either way?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't know about MPG, but I always use Mobile 1 in my truck. I think it is a better lubricant than standard oil and you can go longer between changes. But then again my dad put standard Valvoline in his 87 Chevy Celebrity and it ran for 297,000 miles with out any engine work and it ran the day he sold it. So is there an advantage I like to think so, but standard oil is probably fine too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
there are several extensive threads on this forum about the use of synthetic in the acadia, just search for "mobile 1" or "mobile one" or "sythetic" and you will find hours of reading. short summary: nearly all think sythetic is the way to go although some advocate waiting until 3000-7000 miles to put it in for the first time to allow the engine to break in, while others say that isn't necessary. i changed my oil at 500 with regular then at 3000 with mobile 1 extended performance synthetic and will now follow the oil mointor which will change me roughly every 7000-10000 miles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My Acadia is running Mobil 1 5w-30. I've bumped the mileage between changes to 6000 miles versus the 3000 for conventional oil. Be sure to use the Mobil 1 oil filter. It's one of the best filters on the market.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
canyonblue737 said:
there are several extensive threads on this forum about the use of synthetic in the acadia, just search for "mobile 1" or "mobile one" or "sythetic" and you will find hours of reading. short summary: nearly all think sythetic is the way to go although some advocate waiting until 3000-7000 miles to put it in for the first time to allow the engine to break in, while others say that isn't necessary. i changed my oil at 500 with regular then at 3000 with mobile 1 extended performance synthetic and will now follow the oil mointor which will change me roughly every 7000-10000 miles[/color].
So that was something I thought about as I was reading my owner's guide. Will the Acadia's computer/DIC know that you now use a synthetic oil and adjust the % of oil life remaining monitor accordingly?

·
Registered
96 Posts
no the oil life monitor will not, it assumes regular oil and often will recommend 7000-10000 miles between changes depending on how you drive the car. GMC isn't in the business of ruining your engine so that just goes to show you what a rip off the "3000 mile oil change" really is. THAT SAID i will follow the oil life monitor even though i have high quality synthetic in my engine because A) that is necessary to maintain the warranty on your car and B) i feel it give 100% confidence that the "long" interval of 7000-10000 is perfectly safe since the synthetic should last 12,000+ easy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't have my Acadia yet (it's on order) but my truck says something about calculating the friction in the engine along with engine speed, mileage and time are used to calculate oil life. So based on Synthetic being a better lubricant the friction portion should be better thus slightly longer time between oil changes. BTW, my truck usually is around 7 months and 5000 miles, but I believe that is just because I don't drive many miles so the time factors into my changes more than mileage. My wife's car usually gets around 6500 miles and every 6 months. On my truck I usually try to change the filter at 50% oil life, but that doesn't always happen.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I waited to switch to Mobile 1 until 6000 miles. I changed the oil with dino oil at 3000 just in case there was any truth behind the theory that the motor should break in 1st. My driving routes have not changed, so I am putting on the same amount of highway -vs- city driving. The oil monitor % does not seem to be coming down slower with the Mobil 1. It is my gut feeling that while the monitor does look at temperature, acceleration, speed, etc., I doubt very much that it is actually measuring the friction and/or viscosity of the oil. That's just my opinion.

For me it does not matter too much anyway as I will change my Mobile 1 at every 6000 along with the tire rotation. I'm very conservative when it comes to oil changes and I figure it is a cheap insurance to keep the motor running well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who in their right mind would argue with the King of the Acadia Freaks. :drunk:

I like your idea of the 6k oil & rotate - very easy to remember, I think anyway. As a 3k or 3 months by the book guy with my cars, this will work out saving that extra trip to the dealer. Do I need to worry about time in between or is focusing on the mileage ok with Mobile 1? I say that because we will probably only put about 10k on the Acadia in a year, which would work out to just over 7 months between oil changes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
bseemore - Your 10K/year is right in line with what we do on our Acadia.

12 months is the typical recommendation for changing synthetic so I think you will be fine at 6K intervals.

To simplify, I just get it changed at every 6K increment (6K, 12K, 18K, etc) and do not base the next change on the previous miles. That way, I only have to remember the even numbers. So one change may be 6200 and the next 5800, but the average over the live of the car will be 6K and it is very easy to remember.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. 8)

And Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A) To all the people that say you can your regular oil for longer than 5000KMS your wrong, im a mechanic, and when i started out, all i did was oil changes, if you want to pull your dipstick out and see clean oil after an oil change at even 50, 000kms, you better chnage it at least every 5Kms

B) Synthetic Oil, Especially Mobil 1 is an excellent choice for GM vehicles, But Synthetic is no good in a brand new motor hands down, simply because, its to thin and cannot lube the motor properly in basic terms, also the one thing you wanna do is lube the upper seals on a brand new motor, so, synthetic oil is not good for this, instead conventional oil is. Im starting to run Mobil in my acadia at 20.000kms it can be done sooner though no earlier than 10 id say thats kms though.

Seperate note: BMW reccomends and does oil changes at 20,000Kms or every year, BMW Vehicles that follow this need new motors after a couple years. No coincedence though. :-\

·
Registered
487 Posts
Rumpamuro said:
B) Synthetic Oil, Especially Mobil 1 is an excellent choice for GM vehicles, But Synthetic is no good in a brand new motor hands down, simply because, its to thin and cannot lube the motor properly in basic terms, also the one thing you wanna do is lube the upper seals on a brand new motor, so, synthetic oil is not good for this, instead conventional oil is. Im starting to run Mobil in my acadia at 20.000kms it can be done sooner though no earlier than 10 id say thats kms though.
:-\
If Syn. is no good for new engines why do Corvettes ship with it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
High performance engines such as the corvette have been already ran with conventional oil btw, all engines are, but theres always more detail and time taken into high performance engines, even the 2.0 comes with mobil 1 in the crankcase, but before that motor, or any motor gets put in a vehicle it gets tested and they dont run synthetic ill tell you that much. When installing a brand new motor, from the crate into a vehicle that was already used so new engine into an old car for example, professionals put it the leading conventional oil, start the truck and bring it to a road with no traffic and no obstacles, they open the throttle fully, get the motor up to about 5000rpms then let go and let it coast to almost a stop. at 100kms they change the oil again replacing it with regular oil the next scheuled oil change is 500kms, after that is 1000kms, some pros use synthetic at this time, some, wait till 5000kms.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Rumpamuro said:
For as many people like you that claim to know the facts, there are others that claim to know the facts and disagree with you saying that you can put synthetic in right away. I went with your option and waited roughly 10 kms (6000 miles). I changed with conventional at 3000 miles and then to Mobil 1 at 6000. I figured that your method was the more conservative approach. If you are wrong and I could have put Mobil 1 in at the start, then waiting until 6000 miles did not hurt me. But if you are right, then in the long run I'm glad I waited.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Piece of mind is the leading reason for me to use Mobil 1. Over the 50k miles I will put on the vehicle is the cheapest form of insurance against overt engine concerns.

Potential performance gains or gas mileage savings is nice to haves.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can put the Mobil 1 oil in your car as soon as you get it. Corvettes and Cadillacs get Mobil 1 as the factory fill.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I just changed the oil last night in our Acadia and went with Amsoil 5W-30 (ASL) this time. We have almost 15K miles on ours and I went with this schedule:

Odometer reading:

~2000 miles - 1st oil change with dino oil (no oil analysis)

~5000 miles - changed oil and filled with Mobil 1 5W30 (no oil analysis)

~10000 miles - changed oil and filled with Mobil 1 5W-30 (oil sampled but I cant find the results :tard: )

~15000 miles - changed oil and filled with Amsoil 5W-30 ASL (oil sampled, will send off today)

I tried a different oil in the Acadia this time since the last couple of Mobil 1 samples I've taken from my Silverado has shown elevated metals and low viscosity after just 5000 mile drain intervals. My Silverado has almost 42K miles on it and I ran dino oil until about 15K miles before the switch to Mobil 1.

GAR, GM's oil life monitor strictly follows an algorithm to determine the oil life remaining based upon oil temperature, rpms, throttle position, etc.. It does not actually measure any properties of the oil.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
GeoHawk said:
GAR, GM's oil life monitor strictly follows an algorithm to determine the oil life remaining based upon oil temperature, rpms, throttle position, etc.. It does not actually measure any properties of the oil.
That's exactly what I thought. coloradoGM had posted that he read it measured friction, and that did not seem possible. If the manual does say it measures friction, I bet its wrong. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
dfrank78 said:
You can put the Mobil 1 oil in your car as soon as you get it. Corvettes and Cadillacs get Mobil 1 as the factory fill.
Of course you can put Mobil as soon as you get it, open the oil cap and put it in. The thing is SHOULD it be put it, and the answer is no. Cobalts SS ship with it as well, but if you read my post, maybe you would have seen I sorta do this thing for a living ;) :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts