GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know there have been several different threads about detailing, but I am very frustrated.
I have a Carbon Black Metallic Acadia, and this is my first black car and poeple have warned me about scratches, but my baby seems to be covered in fine/light swirl marks, and I just go it in October. :angryfire:

I brought the vehicle home and 3 days later washed and did the 3 step Meguiar's wax. I used a new wash mitt, and brand new microfiber towels from Costco. I have been through 1 car wash that uses brushes, and it was a brand new car wash that just opened, so the equipment was new and in great working order.

I was looking in the sun the other day, and the car is covered in swirls from head to toe, front to back. :banghead: :banghead:

I am now ready for swirl removing process.
Has anyone tried this http://www.autogeek.com/ag_CarCare.asp ?
And has anyone else had the same problem with the Carbon Black?
I don't know if this is my fault or if the dealership put these scratches into it when they "cleaned it up" prior to delivery.
HELP :'( :'( :'(

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: SWIRL MARKS

Haven't tried it but people here rave about Zaino: http://www.zainostore.com/

They have a swirl remover. I guess it works great. I would venture to say that going through the Car Wash helped with the swirls. I would NOT go through them in the future. Just my opinion. I tried to go through one of the brushless ones and it did a really crappy job on the black. So from here on out, it's being washed at home :thumb:

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yeah I normally don't do brush ones either. Thought maybe it would be okay since it was new an the car wasn't to dirty.
I usually do the brushless for a quick rinse prior to home washing.
Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts

bonk1313 said:
Okay, I know there have been several different threads about detailing, but I am very frustrated.
I have a Carbon Black Metallic Acadia, and this is my first black car and poeple have warned me about scratches, but my baby seems to be covered in fine/light swirl marks, and I just go it in October. :angryfire:

I brought the vehicle home and 3 days later washed and did the 3 step Meguiar's wax. I used a new wash mitt, and brand new microfiber towels from Costco. I have been through 1 car wash that uses brushes, and it was a brand new car wash that just opened, so the equipment was new and in great working order.

I was looking in the sun the other day, and the car is covered in swirls from head to toe, front to back. :banghead: :banghead:

I am now ready for swirl removing process.
Has anyone tried this http://www.autogeek.com/ag_CarCare.asp ?
And has anyone else had the same problem with the Carbon Black?
I don't know if this is my fault or if the dealership put these scratches into it when they "cleaned it up" prior to delivery.
HELP :'( :'( :'(

Welcome to the world of a black car! Your Carbon Black is easier to maintain than normal black though. With preventive maintenance you can have a swirl free finish year round.

First things first - NO CAR WASHES -Car washes (even brushless ones) can destroy your finish just after one time. They use harsh chemicals, dirty brushes to prewash and poor quality towels for drying.

Do all your washing yourself using proper technique and good quality car wash, wash mitt and microfiber towels.

The main cause of spiderweb type swirls (like the ones below) is improper washing and drying techniques.

I have info on proper washing and drying techniques here http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/washing.html I have maintained a near swirl free finish on my Yukon for the pass 6 years using the method on my site.

Definitely get yourself a Porter Cable. Trying to remove swirls by hand is a PITA and if you don't work the polish in correctly can leave the paint in worse condition.

Here is the same paint above after one pass with the Porter Cable:

That kit from Autogeek is a good kit but it's just the Porter Cable and pads no polishes. Do you have any polishes to use? If so what kind? If not, I'd highly recommend Menzerna polishes...they have some of the best polishes available, especially for black.

I also have videos on how to polish using the Porter cable that might help too...http://paintcare-n-detailing.com

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

paintcarendetailing said:
That kit from Autogeek is a good kit but it's just the Porter Cable and pads no polishes. Do you have any polishes to use? If so what kind? If not, I'd highly recommend Menzerna polishes...they have some of the best polishes available, especially for black.
I appreciate your response, and I will check out your links.
I have picked up several on the shelf swirl removers from 3m, and Meguiars, and another one. I also have a bottle of 3m Finesse it http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=625&PTECH. A guy that does auto restoration recommended it, but I have not used any of them yet. I am very nervous about making it WORSE.

·
Registered
148 Posts

You get complimentary swirls from the dealer/factory with every new car. You need to get a porter cable polisher or a ultimate detailing machine and do a light polish all over. This is only after you have clay barred and properly prepped. Then you need to seal and wax to protect your new shine. After that your washes should be done by hand, by yourself, and nobody else using the proper methods. This is the only way to get rid of and prevent swirl marks. This is a commitment in alot of time energy and money and if you wish to not have swirls, then you need to commit fully to this. If you plan on periodically driving through car washes or taking it to car washes then dont bother removing the swirls and putting all the time effort and money into it, because they will just come back in short time.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

paintcarendetailing said:
Welcome to the world of a black car! Your Carbon Black is easier to maintain than normal black though. With preventive maintenance you can have a swirl free finish year round.
Once again thank you for your help, i have been looking at your information and links. i was looking at 2 different sites, and have found 2 different types of common pads for the porter cable 7424. Some have flat surface, and others have dimples. See links included below. Which ones are better, and why?
http://www.detailedimage.com/Buffers-Pads-Misc-C20/
http://www.properautocare.com/ne65inccstef.html

·
Registered
48 Posts

bonk1313 said:
Once again thank you for your help, i have been looking at your information and links. i was looking at 2 different sites, and have found 2 different types of common pads for the porter cable 7424. Some have flat surface, and others have dimples. See links included below. Which ones are better, and why?
http://www.detailedimage.com/Buffers-Pads-Misc-C20/
http://www.properautocare.com/ne65inccstef.html
Your welcome, I hope it has helped.

As far as the pads, I use both style of pads and haven't seen a significant difference, or one being better than the other...they both work equally well. They are both Lake Country pads so the foam is the same, I'd recommend getting the ones you can get cheaper.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Charles

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts

bonk1313 said:
I appreciate your response, and I will check out your links.
I have picked up several on the shelf swirl removers from 3m, and Meguiars, and another one. I also have a bottle of 3m Finesse it http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=625&PTECH. A guy that does auto restoration recommended it, but I have not used any of them yet. I am very nervous about making it WORSE.
The majority of produces available at auto parts stores are consumer grade and are mild polishes that contain a lot of fillers. The polishes are mild and don't remove much and the fillers will temporarily hide some (small) swirls/scratches/hazing and will be back after a few washes.

It's been a while since I've used 3M Finesse II but if I remember right it's a medium grade polish and works quite well. Don't worry about making it worse as long as you properly work the polish in you'll be fine. With any new polish make sure to do a test spot so you know how the polish/machine works together before tackling the whole car. Here is what I recommend with any new polish:

Using a 1'x1' section - apply a dime size amount and apply the polish to the area before turning on the machine.

Using little pressure and speed 4.5 - 5 work the polish in, under direct light.

At each change in the polish, remove a section and see how the paint looks.

Repeat at each change until very little or no hazing is present (this will vary depending on the abrasiveness of the polish).

The reason for speed 4.5-5 and little pressure is, it goes through the stages slower so you can determine when it's broken down without under or over working the polish. Now that you know what it looks like when it's broken down you can increase the speed, pressure, etc. to get the job done.

·
Registered
249 Posts

I won't be going anywhere near tackling a detailing and polishing job on my car until Spring/summer, but I'm wondering if polishing a white car (even off-white like my tri-coat) is more difficult?

It seems to me I'll have an enormously tough time seeing where the polish is, and how well it's being blended in. Is that true?

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts

Traclavelook said:
I won't be going anywhere near tackling a detailing and polishing job on my car until Spring/summer, but I'm wondering if polishing a white car (even off-white like my tri-coat) is more difficult?

It seems to me I'll have an enormously tough time seeing where the polish is, and how well it's being blended in.  Is that true?
Polishing white is harder to see the polish working in than on darker colors, but it is possible.  Lighting is very important part of polishing with any color car...Halogen lights at the right angle not only allow you to see imperfections in the paint but will also allow you to see the polish as it works in....even on white. 

You can pick up a 500w halogen relatively cheap from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  It is a worth while investment and will save you a lot of headaches if you plan on doing any type of polishing.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I can tell you one thing for sure. I DO NOT like any kind of car wash. I think they're very abrasive and over powering. If you want to keep your paint nice do it yourself.

I have used Maguires ScratchX to get rid of some swirling/scratches and also on the doors were that glossy plastic is next to the glass. Works great!

·
Registered
180 Posts

I can't locate the thread or the poster, but someone recommended ClearKote Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze, and said it worked very well on swirl marks and light scratches. Good luck getting your finish back to where you want it, that's a great color. :cheers: Erik

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I have found that Zaino's Z5 has basically eliminated the fine swirl marks.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Polishing white is harder to see the polish working in than on darker colors, but it is possible. Lighting is very important part of polishing with any color car...Halogen lights at the right angle not only allow you to see imperfections in the paint but will also allow you to see the polish as it works in....even on white.
You can pick up a 500w halogen relatively cheap from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It is a worth while investment and will save you a lot of headaches if you plan on doing any type of polishing.
[/quote]
I think you could mount the lights in the garage somewhat easily since you should be waxing in the shade anyway. Harbor Freight might have some halogen lights as well. I have a few hooks hanging in different corners so I can move my lights around where I need them to work on whatever I have in the garage.
As far as black goes, we had a fleet of black cars and the first time through the car wash you could see the brand new swirls when the car came out into the sunlight. They weren't there before we pulled in but they really stood out when it came out the other end. :'(

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Well thanks to everyone for their advice in the swirl removal. A SPECIAL THANKS TO paintcarendetailing[/color] FOR HIS ASSISTANCE AND GREAT WEBSITE http://paintcare-n-detailing.com. Products were purchased from detailedimage.com. but visit paintcares site to get a discount code!

My birthday was the 12th, and my wife asked me what I wanted to do, she was very confused  :confused: :confused: when I told her, I wanted to spend the day in the garage with my Acadia and the Porter Cable 7424.  ;D She told her friends that it must be a guy thing, and I replied no it is a car fanatic thing.  :cheers:

With all of paintcarendetailing advice and videos on his site, I tackled it, and once again have the Carbon Black Metallic swirl free auto I once knew 6 months ago :thumb:

The upclose photos are just after washing with the foam GUN (how fun was that  :blob: :blob:, It was like a bubble bath for my Acadia. :hyper:) Mequairs Clay Barring, using the PC7424 with an orange lake country pad, and Menzerna Final Polish II. Not even the glaze or wax. It was amazing to watch the swirls disappear.
The Acadia looks terrific once again. Now if I can just keep it that way!  :beer:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Here are some photos after the
Menzerna Final Polish 2,
Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze,
and Meguiars NXT generation Tech 2.0 Liquid wax.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts