GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've seen on eBay what appear to be indentical head units with GPS that match the factory Acadia GPS. Some, for whatever reason, were removed from other GMC vehicles. The point is, by looking at the pictures, reading the serial numbers, etc. - they are the same unit that would/should work in an Acadia.

I don't have the NAV - just the regular radio. But I've been in the dash, and it would appear to be the identical size of the version with NAV.

Soooooo - I'm wondering if I could just buy one of these on Ebay, pull out my radio and unplug all connections, plug in this unit, and it would work.

Some of the postings do note that a certified tech must unlock the "new" unit. Others talk about some antenna plug being needed. Actually, I already have a standalone Garmin GPS which I love, so I don't know if the NAV would be any kind of improvement. But I've read about lockpicking that unit so you can watch movies. That would be nice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an '07 Outlook and recently swapped the radio w/o navigation for a factory navigation radio. Oddly enough I didn't need to have the unit "unlocked" but my computer needed to be reprogrammed to recognize the unit (which may have been an '08 radio because it included an option for the back-up camera) and route the audio chimes to the BCM instead of the front driver speaker. It seems that the type of radio you have is programmed into the computer and may need to be changed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
jgentry426 said:
Did you have to go to your dealer to have the computer re-programmed? If so, did they know what to do?
Yes I did. There was quite a bit of confusion with the first dealer I tried. After several days of trying, I took it to another dealer and they got it programmed within two hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've installed the Kenwood DNV-7100 which has nav, bluetooth, and iPod. My major concern was that I would give up things like OnStar and my steering well controls. I was plesently surprised when I discovered that there is a harness (GMOS-LAN-01) that will allow you to maintain OnStar as well as all of your steering wheel controls. :thumb:There is a seperate module that will allow you to use your steering wheel controls. Now this wasn't cheep to do. I paid $2000 for the entire install.

I have but one complaint but it is more with the Kenwood unit. It isn't the most intuitive or user friendly unit out there. I am actually considering the Pioneer Z2.

For those of you considering the Z2, I would shop around online. Circuit City is listing them for $1999. I have found them for as cheap as $1400. I will probably buy the head unit seperately and then buy all the other stuff from the place where I will have it professionally installed.

If anyone is interested I can post pictures of my Kenwood system. The installed stereo looks extremely good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts