GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering whether or not to get the sunroof and had some questions about the sunshade.

How sturdy is it?

How well does it block out the sun.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Actually two sunshades since there are two pieces of glass. Both shades are fabric and "roll up" under the headliner. The front shade is manual and the rear is power...controlled from the front overhead console. The fabric is fairly opaque...best way to decide if it's "dark" enough for you is to go look. We are sunroof lovers and never close the shades...of course we are in a more northerly climate so sun loading isn't as great!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I waiting for my dealer to get some more Acadia's in so I can finally test one out
and see how it is. Sounds like it should be ok. Now I just have to find someone to foot
the bill ;D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think it blocks the sun pretty well, althought it's definitely not 100%. I haven't had a problem with it showing too much light, even on the few sunny days we've had lately .

I've been debating whether it would be nice to not have the front sunshade be an 'all or nothing'; since it's spring loaded, you can't open it just half-way. I think the rear could be an all-or-nothing, and the front should be more 'flexible'.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here in the atlanta area it has been sunny and in the 80's for the past week, the shades do a good job of keeping out the light. the nice feature of the shades being mesh is that you can leave the front shade closed and still let in fresh air with the sunroof cracked open. this lets the air in and keeps the pollen out!! :thumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
badkarma said:
this lets the air in and keeps the pollen out!! :thumb:
Ya ive heard about the crazy pollen "storm" down there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
the sun roof is a great design, but the jury is still out on the effectiveness of the shade itself. i've had mine about 3 weeks, and the warmest day in dallas was about 85 but cloudy. hopefully, i will not have to run my a/c at full blast to keep things comfortable this summer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it usually doesnt get much hotter than about 100F here in the summer,
so I think the sunshade on the Acadia should work for me. Finally got to test
an Acadia today, and the sunshade seems to do a good enough job.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Gmoney_2010 said:
badkarma said:
this lets the air in and keeps the pollen out!! :thumb:
Ya ive heard about the crazy pollen "storm" down there.
The pollen is over-the-top insane down here! We're praying for rain! ALL cars are covered in a thick yellow dust, to the degree that you can write in the dust on the side of the car and see it clearly. So much so, that the local news now shows local "pollen art" pictures on their website!

To keep on topic though, the sunshades were a big concern of mine before I picked up my car. But, they are much more opaque than I imagined, so I think they're going to do a good job blocking the sun. Time will tell...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GAgirl said:
To keep on topic though, the sunshades were a big concern of mine before I picked up my car. But, they are much more opaque than I imagined, so I think they're going to do a good job blocking the sun. Time will tell...
I agree. Based on the descriptions I read and some pics I saw, I didn't think the shade was going to block out the sun much.
Having see it in person, it is way more opaque than it appears in the pics I saw online.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would not have gotten the sunroofs in Florida but it was impossible to find anything equiped like we wanted without the roof in the early days ( :D ).

I can and do use the front roof for venting. It is usefull, and the screen can be closed and still let air flow.

Not to gripe but why all the new cars have huge 2nd roofs that won't open is beyond me. That thing should open up like a limo so you can stand up and party :D lol. Make it usefull and not a fad.

The only use that the #2 roof has for me is to open the shade on a cold day to warm the interior durring the daytime 10 days a year.

Back to question, yes the shade works but is not a solid material so Very little, but some light does come through. I would have perfered a panel over the screen.

Summer will be the test on how well the screens work or whether another material, panel, or limo tint needs to be added.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I agree with racefla completely. However, I have the feeling that neither he nor I sit in the 2nd row seats very often (like over my dead or drunken body) either way we have no clue what it's like back there. So the question is - is it a cool thing to have it there for other people. So ask all your two year olds if they like it. ;D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, when I eventually pick up an Acadia, probably at the end of the 08 model year, I'll be the one driving
all the time so the comfort of the 2nd row passengers is not gonna be my primary concern ;) I was more
concerned with the manual shade on the front row.

·
Registered
492 Posts
sandman said:
I agree with racefla completely. However, I have the feeling that neither he nor I sit in the 2nd row seats very often (like over my dead or drunken body) either way we have no clue what it's like back there. So the question is - is it a cool thing to have it there for other people. So ask all your two year olds if they like it. ;D
Well it is a full moon out.

I might grab a beer :beer: & dvd, go out in the yard & check out the moon roof ;D.

·
Registered
752 Posts
son-of-a -gun, there is a full moon out there (even in California). Since the Lakers are getting :deadhorse: again, I think I'll go outside and join you :cheers:

·
Registered
121 Posts
marc s...tried to unseat my sunshade today...took quite a bit of effort and a real desire to twist it out of shape. I had no difficulty realigning it. Is yours functioning normally now? Has the problem occurred again?

·
Registered
261 Posts
When I opened the sunroof without opening the shade it looked like the shade was moving with the wind. The question is if you leave the sunroof open and the shade closed, will the shade stretch and thereafter not fit properly?? Anyone notice this yet??

·
Registered
121 Posts
there should be no issue with the shade closed and the roof open as long as you stay within reasonable range of the highest posted speed limits. Not sure I'd exceed 80-85mph with the shade closed and roof open.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hey at that speed I like to have my head sticking out the roof anyway, so my shade is always back. Usually gotta wear goggles though. ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts