GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found the forum yesterday--Looking for feedback from current owners so I can make the best choices when I replace my 2003 Envoy with a 2009 Acadia FWD. The wife and I can't decide if we want to spend the money on the sunroof. In previous cars we found the sunroof wasn't used that often. Is the dual sunroof worth the money or does it go unused once the newness wears off?

·
Registered
497 Posts
We use ours all the time. Wouldn't think of it without it. Do we need the second sky roof? No.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'll echo that. Only I use it as often as I can. We (my wife and I) don't use it as much because she has hair concerns. ::)

I could also do without the dual portion, although it may be cool if it actually opened.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The kids love the one in the back, so it was worth it for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my kids love the one in the back, (of course they would love if it could be open), but we use it the front one sometimes when it's not to hot or the sun is gone!! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
kanderna said:
I'll echo that. Only I use it as often as I can. We (my wife and I) don't use it as much because she has hair concerns. ::)

I could also do without the dual portion, although it may be cool if it actually opened.
:ditto: The kids like the rear one, but it would be neater if it opened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have had Acadia AWD for about 3 weeks. Only complaint is that the sunscreen does not block out enough sunlight on bright days. GM has certainly cheapened up that area. Gone are the days where you could actually close the sunscreen ( made of headliner material) and have total blockage of sun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It really helps brighten up the black interior and makes the vehicle feel more spacious. Kids love the back portion too.

Downside (other than cost) is that the sunroof may increase the chance for leaking. See the leak poll/thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Love the sun roof, friends love the back sky roof but like others have said, wish it would open. I use mine, front and back as often as possible, I'll have the sun roof open with the auto climate control blowing A/C, wasteful, yes, but very comfortable. The plus side for me is the lack of driver's tan, my right arm can get just as much sun as the left...but I still end up with a farmer's tan...

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
jgivoo said:
We have had Acadia AWD for about 3 weeks. Only complaint is that the sunscreen does not block out enough sunlight on bright days. GM has certainly cheapened up that area. Gone are the days where you could actually close the sunscreen ( made of headliner material) and have total blockage of sun.
The kids love the rear sun roof. And I get a kick out of using the overhead console button to open and close the sun screen.

The front skylight has a manual shade, which does block 100% of daylight when necesssary. So I don't understand your comment.

And zero issues with leaks. (Though I've forgotten to close the skylight on occasion, and got rain in the interior.)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
code50 said:
Just found the forum yesterday--Looking for feedback from current owners so I can make the best choices when I replace my 2003 Envoy with a 2009 Acadia FWD. The wife and I can't decide if we want to spend the money on the sunroof. In previous cars we found the sunroof wasn't used that often. Is the dual sunroof worth the money or does it go unused once the newness wears off?
It is nice to have, but now I have a leak problem that I am trying to get fixed

jgivoo said:
Is it a cost factor that cut it out, or the fact that there is not enough space between the front and rear sunroofs for the headliner material to retract in the roof?

I agree that to much light comes through when the glass is closed. I am getting ready to tint mine to see if it helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If doing over again, I would still get the sunroofs. The back one really lightens/opens up the back of the vehicle. The kids like it, although they would probably like it more if they could open it up and throw things out! The front one is rather smallish, and the sliding glass only goes part-way back. Too small for my tastes, but I still think it is better than nothing, and would order it again. If it were up to me, I would make the front one a little bigger, open a little farther, and shorten the back one some.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hunt said:
If doing over again, I would still get the sunroofs. The front one is rather smallish, and the sliding glass only goes part-way back. Too small for my tastes, but I still think it is better than nothing, and would order it again. If it were up to me, I would make the front one a little bigger, open a little farther, and shorten the back one some.
:ditto:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am happy I got the feature. My reasons are different from many who have responded so far. I have the ebony interior so for me the #1 reason I like them is the REAR sunroof significantly lightens the interior and greatly reduces the cave like nature. The front sunroof since we rarely open it is less a factor in my choice believe it or not since the windshield glass lets plenty of light into the front seat area. My kids do like the rear sunroof and that is a smaller factor for me. No leaks here and happy I got 'em.

·
Registered
9 Posts
At first I was going to opt'd out of getting a sunroof with the Acadia because of the cost. I was hoping you could get the Acadia with just the front sunroof and not the back; but quickly found out that wasn't an option. :( Most of all my previous cars have had the sunroof and the most important factor for me was the ability to vent the sunroof while the car is park to keep the car from getting too hot. :angryfire: I hardly ever use the front sunroof in the full open postion because of the noise factor (the Acadia is so quiet :thumb: )

Anyway, I almost went without; until I did notice the difference between the ones without (gave the car a dark and claustrophopic feeling) and one with; bright interior and the feeling of more room. The other main factor was that my wife (who never rides in the back seat of any car because she gets motion sickness ??? ) (can't live without her ::)) sat in an Acadia in the shownroom with the dualscape sunroofs and captain chairs (bench seat was 1st choice - again to save $$$ :-\) and made the announcement - "this is great, I can even ride back here". "It feels like you are in the front seat" ;D - and you know, she's right. ;)

The kids love it, adults love it; and now my wife has taken on a new vocation "backseat driver " :mad: But you can't put a price on a happy wife :angel:

Getting the sunroofs and the captain chairs made the car all that more to love ;), well worth the extra $$$$ :thumb: Go for it Code 50, you'll be glad you did!!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
mbellcamp said:
sat in an Acadia in the shownroom with the dualscape sunroofs and captain chairs (bench seat was 1st choice - again to save $$$
I thought it was cheapier for the Capts Chairs cause they are standard, the Bench seat was extra

·
Registered
166 Posts
bonk1313 said:
I thought it was cheapier for the Capts Chairs cause they are standard, the Bench seat was extra
Surprisingly enough, not the case. I think the difference was somewhere in the -$450 range if you opt for bench.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, the captain chairs were std. :) I realized that after I posted and thought about it again. ???

It was one of those assumptions... I went into the dealership thinking the bench seat of coarse would be std and the fancy captain chairs would be extra. :( It wasn't until it was down on paper that I saw it was the opposite. :thumb: It was one of those scenarios, :love: I want this car and how do I get it down to where I can convince my wife :nono: it doesn't cost that much. :drunk: Luckily, she actually liked it, :hyper: At that point, it was; get it as close to $35k :angel: or under and it would be a done deal. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
kanderna said:
bonk1313 said:
Surprisingly enough, not the case. I think the difference was somewhere in the -$450 range if you opt for bench.
Okay we are both somewhat correct.
According to the GMC site, the SLE comes with 8 passenger bench.
The 7 Passenger Captains Chairs are standard on the SLT1 and SLT2

SELECT A STYLE SLE [/color] 3SA MSRP $ 30,875.00 Hide details

Audio system: six-speaker sound system
Brakes: four-wheel antilock disc
Climate (temperature) control: rear, manual
Climate (temperature) control: single-zone, manual
Engine: 3.6L V6 with Variable Valve Timing and 275 hp and 251 lb.-ft. of torque
Foglamps: halogen
Luggage rack: roof-mounted, side rails, brushed aluminum
Mirrors, outside: power-adjustable, manual-folding, heated, Black
Moldings: Black Beltline
Monitor: Tire Pressure Monitoring System (tire pressure monitoring does not apply to spare tire)
Remote Keyless Entry: programmable, includes two transmitters and panic button
Seat controls: driver, four-way manual-adjustable with manual lumbar support
Seat controls: front passenger, two-way manual
Seating: Premium Cloth
Seating: 8 passenger, includes 2nd row 60/40 split-folding bench with Smartslide and 3rd row 60/40 split-folding bench [/color]
Steering: power, constant effort
Suspension: Ride and Handling
Transmission: six-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive
Wheels: 18- x 7.5-inch, painted-aluminum
Windows: power with driver's Express-Down feature

SLT [/color] 4SA MSRP $ 35,410.00 Hide details

Features shown below are in addition to, or in place of, FWD SLE 3SA features:
Audio controls, rear seat: include volume, station selection and media type and dual headphone jacks (headphones not included)
Audio system: Bose premium audio system, includes subwoofer and ten speakers
Climate (temperature) controls: tri-zone, automatic for driver, right-front passenger, second, and third-row passengers
Instrumentation: five-gauge with Enhanced Driver Information Center and outside temperature indicator
Mirror, inside rearview: auto-dimming with eight-point compass
Mirrors, outside: power-adjustable, manual-folding, heated, body-color, include integrated turn-signal indicators
Moldings: Bright Beltline
Preferred Package: includes six-way power driver seat with manual recline and lumbar control and two-way power front passenger seat with leather wrapped steerling wheel with reduandant audio controls
Seating: seven-passenger; includes second-row flat-folding captain's chairs with SmartSlide and third-row 60/40 split-folding bench [/color]
Seat controls: driver and front passenger, heated
Seat controls: driver, six-way power-adjustable with manual recline and lumbar control
Seating: leather-appointed seats for first and second rows
Steering wheel: leather-wrapped with redundant audio controls
Steering: power, variable effort
Universal Home Remote transmitter: three-channel programmable, integrated garage door opener
Wheels: 18- x 7.5-inch, machined-aluminum

SLT [/color] 4SB MSRP $ 37,385.00 Hide details

Features shown below are in addition to, or in place of, FWD SLT 4SA features:[/color]
Cargo Convenience Package: includes cargo shade and cargo net
Convenience Package: includes remote start, keyless entry and Ultrasonic rear parking assist
Liftgate: power, rear
Mirrors, outside: power-adjustable, power-folding, heated, body-color, include integrated turn-signal indicators, driver-side auto-dimming feature and driver-side memory
Outlet: 115-volt, 3-prong, household-style
Seat controls: driver, eight-way power-adjustable with power recline, lumbar support and memory
Seat controls: front passenger, four-way power-adjustable with power recline and lumbar support
Windows: power with driver and passenger Express-Up/Express-Down feature
Wiper nozzles: heated windshield

Previous Next

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just so things are perfectly clear...

SLE - Standard Bench. Captain's chairs are $450 added to the base price.
SLT - Standard Captain's chairs. Bench is a $450 discount from the base price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts