GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sunroof latch broke while I was just riding down the road. Sunroof flew open and scared me half to death. Took car to dealer to have it repaired and left it for 3 days. They said that the entire sunroof had to be replaced just because of tiny piece of plastic that latches the sunroof cover (HORRIBLE DESIGN). I called after 3 days and they said "oops, we haven't gotten to it yet". Went and picked it up as we had an out of town trip planned. Rescheduled. Took car back the next week. They kept it 3 days. We called to see what the progress was and this time it was "oops, we ordered the wrong part". Now, we no longer have to replace entire sunroof, just the striker plate and it's on backorder with no ETA. So, I guess they weren't going to call us and just keep the car forever. It's been 3 weeks now and no part, no fix. Anyone else have this probelm with the sunroof latch? Mine is an 2018 Acadia SLT.

·
Super Moderator
22,476 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck getting your Acadia repaired.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, we had the same problem on our 2017, just a few months after getting it. The exact thing happened. Then I think a small piece of the broken latch must have gotten into the overhead lighting/sunglasses/Onstar button consol, because we hear something rattling in there whenever the radio is not turned on to drown it out. I have not taken it in to be fixed yet because I was afraid of the exact hassle it would cause, knowing its not a common part they would probably stock. Please do keep us informed when and how they fixed yours. thank you!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, we had the same problem on our 2017, just a few months after getting it. The exact thing happened. Then I think a small piece of the broken latch must have gotten into the overhead lighting/sunglasses/Onstar button consol, because we hear something rattling in there whenever the radio is not turned on to drown it out. I have not taken it in to be fixed yet because I was afraid of the exact hassle it would cause, knowing its not a common part they would probably stock. Please do keep us informed when and how they fixed yours. thank you!!
Still no part! They told us it could be 3 days or 3 weeks. Well, I think we are rolling onto 3 weeks now! Worst designed vehicle I have ever owned in more than one way! Since the sunroof, the drivers side mirror cover on visor has broken off which means the lights on the mirror wont come on! My car is only a year old and I'm sick to death of it already! I'll let you know if I ever get my sunroof fixed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My sunroof latch broke while I was just riding down the road. Sunroof flew open and scared me half to death. Took car to dealer to have it repaired and left it for 3 days. They said that the entire sunroof had to be replaced just because of tiny piece of plastic that latches the sunroof cover (HORRIBLE DESIGN). I called after 3 days and they said "oops, we haven't gotten to it yet". Went and picked it up as we had an out of town trip planned. Rescheduled. Took car back the next week. They kept it 3 days. We called to see what the progress was and this time it was "oops, we ordered the wrong part". Now, we no longer have to replace entire sunroof, just the striker plate and it's on backorder with no ETA. So, I guess they weren't going to call us and just keep the car forever. It's been 3 weeks now and no part, no fix. Anyone else have this probelm with the sunroof latch? Mine is an 2018 Acadia SLT.
I have the same vehicle and my sunroof latch has already broken as well. Is this covered by warranty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is covered under warranty but good luck getting the part. They claim it’s on backorder with an unknown eta. Personally, I don’t think they have a clue what they’re doing. At first, they told us that the entire sunroof had to be replaced (for a broken piece of plastic). Then, it was “no, just the striker plate but we have no idea when it will be here”. Since then, the cover over my drivers side mirror on sun flap has broken off! I’m just disgusted with GMC and this vehicle! They obviously used the cheapest materials that they could find to make the car. My rear console with AC/lighter plug/USB ETC has never worked and GMC said they have no idea what’s wrong with it and CANNOT fix it. I’ve also had to have my steering column removed and the airbag replaced because of a constant grinding noise in the steering column. I’m going back to Fords for my next vehicle!

·
Super Moderator
22,476 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can you please post the part number? Same issue on mine, front and rear sunroof wont latch anymore due to loose or weak latch. Awful design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just had this same issue on our 2019 Acadia, and wanted to add an update to this post. There is a GM bulletin out, regarding this. See bulletin No. PIT5682. The part number is 84691055.

(mod edit: added link to bulletin)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you please post the part number? Same issue on mine, front and rear sunroof wont latch anymore due to loose or weak latch. Awful design.
Does anyone know if there is going to be a recall with so many issues with this sunroof. My vehicle did the same thing. I was driving and it just snapped? I live in the desert and it gets hit so now that the roof is open the sun beats down on me.

·
Super Moderator
22,476 Posts
Does anyone know if there is going to be a recall ...
That's highly unlikely. I believe there was a TSB issued for repair of that condition if it occurred under warranty. You'll be charged for the repair if your vehicle's new car B2B warranty has expired.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The rear sunroof cover latch broke on my 2019 Denali. Looking I noticed that the black rectangular plastic piece was riveted, and had had broken off. I drilled the old rivets out and bought a pair pf black trim screws (with collars). Once done they look like a factory job. faster and cheaper than the dealership.
Automotive design Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found the front clip on eBay. 5 min repair. Not worth wasting time at dealership who can't get the parts from gm. But now my rear sunshade did the same thing. On the hunt for the rear retainer clip. Different than front one.
Font Screenshot Parallel Electric blue Circle

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me just the other day, my son asked what something was - we looked and a plastic piece broke off the rear sunroof the plastic looks like it couldn’t hold the pressure created from the cover being latched and gave way.. I wonder if I’ll be able to get it fixed… we have a 2020 AT4 that we leased at the end of August 2020… we also noticed that the dark chrome finish in the front grill is beginning to peel away - the car has less than 9k miles - this is our first and likely our last GMC seems they go very cheap on the finishes. Were any of you able to get the sunroof latch repaired?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
This happened to me just the other day, my son asked what something was - we looked and a plastic piece broke off the rear sunroof the plastic looks like it couldn’t hold the pressure created from the cover being latched and gave way.. I wonder if I’ll be able to get it fixed… we have a 2020 AT4 that we leased at the end of August 2020… we also noticed that the dark chrome finish in the front grill is beginning to peel away - the car has less than 9k miles - this is our first and likely our last GMC seems they go very cheap on the finishes. Were any of you able to get the sunroof latch repaired?
Do you have a picture of the latch as is, and the broken piece?

·
Super Moderator
22,476 Posts
This happened to me just the other day, my son asked what something was - we looked and a plastic piece broke off the rear sunroof the plastic looks like it couldn’t hold the pressure created from the cover being latched and gave way.. I wonder if I’ll be able to get it fixed… we have a 2020 AT4 that we leased at the end of August 2020… we also noticed that the dark chrome finish in the front grill is beginning to peel away - the car has less than 9k miles - ...
Your vehicle's new car warranty should cover repair or replacement of both the latch and the front grille.

Reactions: TwinMum
1 - 20 of 24 Posts