GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I went to the dealership today and i noticed that the sunroof does not fully retract into the headliner! IS this the way it was designed? I find it really odd that nowadays they are making the rear sunroof so big and leaving out the functionality out of the front one! ??? I also must say that the Acadia is a great looking vehicle except for, IMO, the tailights which are SUPER UGLY :angryfire: Can I say RICE mobile!?? WTF was the designer thinking? What a way to ruin an otherwise clean design....typical GM...almost got it right....

Also do you guys know about changes to the 2008 model besides what i have heard here....aka new color real BLACK and backup camera....

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
My G35 coupe sunroof doesn't retract all the way either. It still has about 2 inches visible (looking from the outside in) when fully open. Unfortunately, this is a side effect of the smallish space left over to hide the sunroof in some newer cars.

I actually kind of like the taillights. I agree that they are a radical departure from standard american design, so I can see not everyone liking them. I really like the LED circles at night, very unique! (though not quite as awesome as the G's "demon eyes" taillights) The Saturn version has slightly more tame taillights, IMO, if you really dislike them enough not to consider an Acadia (as does the upcoming Enclave).

·
Registered
681 Posts
I heard a Denali version will be produced which will have a V8 - will be similar to the Buick Enclave - priced close to $50k and above. Read this in an auto mag, do not remember which one might not be until 2009.

I noticed the sunroof too, not much of a big deal to me, I like the LED in the taillights, that is going to ecome more of a norm on future vehicles.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Actually never noticed the sunroof till you mentioned it. I like the tail lights. Of course I was used to my 97 aerostar, so anything would look good to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've only driven the (Wife's) Acadia for a few hours so far, but the only oddity that I have found was the sunroof that did not retract all the way. While it looks aesthetically odd, it certainly does not result in a blockage a lot of sunlight. The sunroof still serves its purpose. (and I am 6'5" tall, so the unretracted section is right above my head)

·
Registered
492 Posts
evoman said:
Hi,

I went to the dealership today and i noticed that the sunroof does not fully retract into the headliner! IS this the way it was designed? I find it really odd that nowadays they are making the rear sunroof so big and leaving out the functionality out of the front one! ??? I also must say that the Acadia is a great looking vehicle except for, IMO, the tailights which are SUPER UGLY :angryfire: Can I say RICE mobile!?? WTF was the designer thinking? What a way to ruin an otherwise clean design....typical GM...almost got it right....

Also do you guys know about changes to the 2008 model besides what i have heard here....aka new color real BLACK and backup camera....
Prehaps you might check out a Ford Flex :thumb:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Evoman,
If you don't like these things, then don't buy an Acadia.

IMO, the sunroof probably doesn't retract all the way for 2 reasons.
1 - If it retracted all the way, the wind noise and howl and vibration while driving would be unbearable. My former Audi had a marker on the sunroof control knob of where to stop for driving while open. Yes, it could open all the way, but that was only acceptable when stopped or driving very slow.
2 - Probably doesn't retract all the way because it can't because of where the second sunroof begins (look at the available space from above).

The fact that it doesn't open all the way doesn't bother me one bit, and personally I don't believe it is from inadequate design. Also, I really like the tail lights.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Evoman,
If you don't like these things, then don't buy an Acadia.

IMO, the sunroof probably doesn't retract all the way for 2 reasons.
1 - If it retracted all the way, the wind noise and howl and vibration while driving would be unbearable. My former Audi had a marker on the sunroof control knob of where to stop for driving while open. Yes, it could open all the way, but that was only acceptable when stopped or driving very slow.
2 - Probably doesn't retract all the way because it can't because of where the second sunroof begins (look at the available space from above).

The fact that it doesn't open all the way doesn't bother me one bit, and personally I don't believe it is from inadequate design. Also, I really like the tail lights.
Agree - on my Audi and MBZ , the sunroof opens 85 % on auto open , where it is quiet when on the move , even with windows all up . You can hold the button down so it opens further , but at that position, the buffeting is unbearable. The larger opening is there to begin with to allow more light into the cockpit when the roof is closed , but the shade is retracted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys,

I see you are all very content with the design of the sunroof....i am just saying that they could have made the sunroof in the back smaller so that the sunroof in the front could open more. That is the part of the design that is flawed...nothing is mechanically wrong...just dimensionally wrong i suppose. And why is it that everytime someone points out a flaw or bad design, some of the members here jump on them and tell them to go buy something else??! I think that my opinion and other peoples opinion would only make the Acadia better and thus help GMC get back on the right track. As it stands, the sunroof in the front is a bit too small....I would like if it had an option for a single large sunroof like that of the hummer H2/H3, we all know GM can do it if they want to.
Not everyone wants or wants to pay for the larger rear sunroof but if they are going to make dual sunroofs at least make it proportionally correct.

The general shape of the Acadia is great, but the tailights just look CHEAP!!! Someone here has to agree with that, I know i am a new member but i just have to say it! I think there are better ways to implement LED tail lights then with the chessy chrome and stuff....it will be out of style in like a year! If you want to see an example of a nice LED rear tail light....look at the Acura TL and Audi Q7! GM, stop putting on the cheap plastic chrome and put back the style that GM's are know for...that is simple and graceful....in fact, copy the good stuff, not the bad....

Sorry for all this ranting but i am about to buy an Acadia and these are the two main things bothering me....the sunroof i can't change but the tail lights i am hoping someone in the aftermarket will fix that...i wish i could just graft the outlook's tail lights on but it doesnt fit. I seen the enclave but i dont think it will fit a 4x8 sheet like an acadia or outlook....so it is not on the list....

sigh....

·
Registered
126 Posts
evoman, The tail light design is not my favorite either, but they grow on you. They are different, so you notice them more. I didn't order a sun-roof. Would have considered a sun-roof if it was front only. I don't think the current design is bad.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I like the tail lights. Finally, an American car with some style! And I'm very pleased with my sunroof as well. BOTH of them. :)

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I like the tail lights, too. I also like sunroofs more than I thought I would. My kids love the back sunroof.

I must say I'm not crazy about the shade for the front. Wind noise from my Thule roof box is much louder in the Acadia. I think it's because there is no solid shade to pull that would cut the sound.

Kelly

·
Registered
497 Posts
Evoman,
A 4x8 sheet of plywood will not fit in Acadia. The gate will not shut.

I respect your opinion and I articulated mine. A "flaw" and "bad design" have very different meanings than your "preference" or "wish list" or "suggestion for GM/GMC." They imply that there is a problem or something inferior about the vehicle.

And, by the way, welcome to the forum...we're glad that you've joined us.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Evoman,

I respect your opinion and I articulated mine. A "flaw" and "bad design" have very different meanings than your "preference" or "wish list" or "suggestion for GM/GMC." They imply that there is a problem or something inferior about the vehicle.

Actually a 4x8 sheet of plywood WILL fit in the Acadia, 10 of them to be exact. At least thats what I was told by the salesman that showed me the first two I test drove. Just drop the backs of the second and third rows of seats and they will slide right in. But please feel free to prove me wrong 8)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dan-M said:
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Evoman,

Actually a 4x8 sheet of plywood WILL fit in the Acadia, 10 of them to be exact. At least thats what I was told by the salesman that showed me the first two I test drove. Just drop the backs of the second and third rows of seats and they will slide right in. But please feel free to prove me wrong 8)
Hey Acadia4VA-WV, yeah I know the gate won't shut but it fits width wise! So i can leave the gate open a bit and still drive home....the only other vehicle i was looking at that can fit 4x8's is the Honda Pilot.
Yeah, i think i must have offended some people when i said the design is bad...that makes people think that it is broken....what i mean is the design of the sunroof....more specifically the proportions between the front and the back glass should have been focused more on the driver and passenger use and than the rear....I guess they did this to save money??

Also thanks for the welcome...i've been lurking around here for a while but never really bothered to sign in....but now that i am within months of ordering one i decided to join you guys for all the good and bad times!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have youtried to put a sheet in and close the door? Please tell me. Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well we love the taillights.

As for the sunroof, I don't think it is the rear sunroof keepining it from opening more, most likely it is to keep the sunroof quiet when open. And the front sunroof does seem a little small, but the reason that we didn't go with it was that we didn't like the fabric sunscreen. We also thought that the opening of the sunroof was so far back due to the slope of the windshield that it was not very enjoyable from the front seat.

That combined with the fact that I don't think the sunroof was used practically at all on my wife's Jeep just made it a waste for us.

·
Registered
382 Posts
As to my 2 cent's worth, the sunroof (front) is fine, but somewhat noisy compared to my other cars. I prefer convertibles for real open air driving, but when I am in the middle of an 8 hour drive on a nice day sunroofs sure help the mood! ;D
The back sunroof brightens up a dark area, adds a bit of style.
As to the taillights, I really did not even notice the LEDs, my wife did who is pretty nontechnical, but I like the chrome trim with my Liquid Silver :blob:
There is a place for the monochrome look, two of my Crown Vics are Sports which specifically are without the normal chrome trim look great, but I like the Acadia as it is!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.