GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
First of I got the car about 2 years ago. It ran great...until it wouldnt start about a year ago. I did a bunch of testing, and found out the alternator was bad it wasnt charging the battery. I put a new alternator on it. Problem fixed. Not long after the new alternato,r the battery went bad. Got a new battery. Well fast forward about 8 months. Car starts having problems starting. Weak battery. Replaced, and it works fine for a month or so then bad battery again. Replaced.

Now more and more problems are popping up. It wont start if it sits for more than 2 days without being started. I have to jump it. The rear hatch wont work electronically now.When I first start driving it doesn't shift right, but after warming up and driving for a bit it shifts fine. It says charging system error, but multi meter says the alternator is charging. Abs, and trac lights come on a lot, and the cruise control no longer works.

Could there be a short somewhere or something draining the battery, and causing all these issues? Can anyone give me a place to start?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am not surprised that alternator went bad and then battery shortly after. That is pretty normal. Some of the other issues you have might be because the battery is so dead you have to jump it. Remanufactured alternators from some of the bigger parts stores like autozone have a pretty bad reputation for not lasting very long. The PCM controls the alternators charging and if it is not seeing the right output it will cause a charging error. Checking the voltage is only a rough indicator of charging performance.

It is a possibility that you have something draining the battery. Aftermarket stereo equipment is always high on the failure list. Usually you can park a car for a couple of weeks and expect it to start. Are you taking short trips and not giving it enough time to charge?
Is it turning over at normal speed?
Do you have a battery charger? If so you can charge it at night to see if the other problems go away.

To track down the possible drain on the battery you would use an amp meter and start pulling fuses until you see the battery drain go away. Around 150 to 200ma after the car sits for a while would be pretty normal. Much more than that something is definitely causing a drain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agreed with Turbo6.0L on finding out what else might be draining the battery on a regular basis. It's possible that the engine is not running long enough to recharge the battery.

Side note on the cruise control. The cruise control will not work when the ABS light is on. I found this out the hard way on a long road trip. Out of town and asked a dealer to take a look at our Acadia. I noticed that the brake lights would come on when I was NOT pushing on the brake pedal. Unfortunately I ended up with a bad dealership and they replaced the master cylinder citing a leak (which there was never a leak, since the master cylinder was always full). They said it was unsafe to drive as is. All it ended up being was the brake pedal switch..... I replaced that myself (5 minute job) and it has been fine ever since (120K miles later). But that long road trip the cruise control wouldn't work with the ABS light on...... sigh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts