GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was looking to add a sub to the base radio in the sle acadia. Was wondering where did you guys/girls place your aftermarket subs. I am looking to use the shallow mount subs offered by kenwood, sony and boston.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I plan to stick mine under the rear seat. (JVC compact powered sub). I just haven't made the time to do it yet and my car has been at the dealer for the last two weeks (not continuously) waiting on parts. I hope to get it back tomorrow. I think the factory location is under the glove box because the SLT's have a big round bulge in the panel that we don't have. (See recent fuse box thread for pictures).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hope that you re able to add a sub under the seats. I just upgraded to a Boston Acoustic 4 channel amp, BA Speakers in the front with the mids in the post & installed the same set in the second door speakers. We could not install the amp under the seats (no room). We had to place it in the rear cargo tray. The only other place would have been to make a custom rack on the left rear side cover. That is where the radio antenna & XM are located.

I went to five shops & all wanted to add a rear subwoofer box or custom make one. The best one would make a box molded to the rear hatch. I didn't want to lose cargo space.

I can say that the factory speakers are junk. It sounds great now!

Pat

·
Registered
395 Posts
The JVC Compact does fit under the second seat (bench) without interfering with anything. I tested it. It does not fit under the front seat or the third seat, which actually collapses closer to the floor as it foilds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I will try the JVC subwoofer setup since it fits under the seat.

Pat

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can not find a supplier for the B/A compact subwoofer who has it in stock!

Pat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Old Timer said:
I hope that you re able to add a sub under the seats. I just upgraded to a Boston Acoustic 4 channel amp, BA Speakers in the front with the mids in the post & installed the same set in the second door speakers. We could not install the amp under the seats (no room). We had to place it in the rear cargo tray. The only other place would have been to make a custom rack on the left rear side cover. That is where the radio antenna & XM are located.

I went to five shops & all wanted to add a rear subwoofer box or custom make one. The best one would make a box molded to the rear hatch. I didn't want to lose cargo space.

Pat

Did you ever find a B/A dealer for your sub? If not, let me know and I can help you find one. Below is my C/D link for my Acadia:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2922293

Here is a pic of my Boston integration for the rear cargo area:

The Boston 8" subs are shallow, yet hit very hard. I only lost @ 1" of cargo space and with the plexiglas cover over the suede, I can through just about anything over my set-up.

Jim

·
Registered
339 Posts
Jim, you've got a nice ride there. Your audio set up looks nice, but to be honest, the part i like best about your ride is the painted lower panels. I like the look, i wish they came from the factory that way.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Did you ever find a B/A dealer for your sub? If not, let me know and I can help you find one. Below is my C/D link for my Acadia:

Jim
[/quote]

Jim, you have an awesome car :thumb:
I was curious about your Gravana Stainless Air Intake System. I could not find it listed in their on line catalog. Did you use one from another GMC? I would love to see a picture. There have been several members interested in a cold air intake system. Is that what this is?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree we need more info on the intake system and the choice of exhaust components with a review of sound levels. Go as far as getting a sound clip like Sandman was able to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
jim, I read on your C/D page that you kept the stock NAV/radio so how did you power the amps? Oh and your ride is awsome!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tomahawk - Thank you. The amps are tied into the head unit with what I have been calling "the little black box". Joe @ J&G Customs in Fountain Valley, CA did it. The system sounded pretty good before Joe tuned it, but now my Acadia has an awesome system without taking up space in the back. It took Joe several hours working with the box he had to get the speakers all in phase and the fader and balance working correctly. Apaprently, the signals from the OEM head unit are all over the place and you can't balance and fade properly. We had tried to use some of the converters on the market that allow you to use OEM head units with aftermarket amps, but they didn't get us to 100%. J&G handled it. I'm very happy.

imgntht & sandman - I should have production intakes (Short Ram & Cold Air versions) back late next week or early the following week and get on the dyno and G-Tech them to see if there are any differences in performance. On many vehicles (Trailblazer, GTO, Aura, G6, Malibu, Cobalt SS, Silverado Duramax, Etc.), I have found that the Cold Air does not work any better than the Short Ram, and the Short Ram is much less expensive. I will publish the info and snap some pics of it installed when I can.

Once I have the production exhuast on it, I will get some sound clips and take some good photos.

If any of you are going to the LA Auto Show, you can check it out in booth # K-500.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
752 Posts
Jim, ya gotta start posting stuff where people can read it. I'm gonna copy your quote and put it on the "K & N Cold Air Intake" discussion as there is a lot of interest there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
gravana jim said:
Old Timer said:

Pat

The Boston 8" subs are shallow, yet hit very hard. I only lost @ 1" of cargo space and with the plexiglas cover over the suede, I can through just about anything over my set-up.

Jim
Just visited your cardomain site. I've been trying to figure out a way to use that rear cargo tray for an amp and sub. Your setup is awesome! The wheels are turning now!

·
Registered
752 Posts
gravana jim said:
imgntht & sandman - I should have production intakes (Short Ram & Cold Air versions) back late next week or early the following week and get on the dyno and G-Tech them to see if there are any differences in performance. On many vehicles (Trailblazer, GTO, Aura, G6, Malibu, Cobalt SS, Silverado Duramax, Etc.), I have found that the Cold Air does not work any better than the Short Ram, and the Short Ram is much less expensive. I will publish the info and snap some pics of it installed when I can.
Jim
Jim, do you have an FWD or an AWD? I would love to find a dyno around here in the Torrance area to see if the magnflows and flowmaster I have installed make a difference, but can't (yet) find one that handles AWD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sandman said:
gravana jim said:
Jim
Jim, do you have an FWD or an AWD? I would love to find a dyno around here in the Torrance area to see if the magnflows and flowmaster I have installed make a difference, but can't (yet) find one that handles AWD.
I used to use R&D Dyno in Gardena, but I think Darren only has a single wheel dyno. It's been awhile since I was down there. I have a volume discount deal with two local dyno shops that have AWD dynos. The one down the street from me has a DJ 424x with a full shop capable of removing and installing products for head to head testing. The other one has the Dynapack 6042, is farther away, and is tough to do head to head testing since it is not on a lift. I do like the accuracy of the Dynapack.

I do all of my testing closed-hood with a fan at the grill to keep it as close to real-world as possible. I always back it up with G-Tech runs to ensure consistency. Especially with air intakes.

I am in the Valencia area. Let me know if you want my dyno guys' info.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thanks for the updates Jim. You are providing some great contributions to the board for those interested in taking the Acadia up a notch. Do you know yet if your Acadia will be at the Chicago Auto show in Feb? Love to see it in person.

·
Registered
20 Posts
imgntht said:
Thanks for the updates Jim. You are providing some great contributions to the board for those interested in taking the Acadia up a notch. Do you know yet if your Acadia will be at the Chicago Auto show in Feb? Love to see it in person.
With CES and some other local dealer events, I doubt it will make it to Chicago.

Thx!

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Expect Q-Logic and MTX to come out with custom enclosures within the next year or two. After the Chevy Lamda is introduced this should be expected. In the mean time we'll have to just stuff boxes any where they will fit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How do you keep the AMPS from getting hot under the plexi-glass? I am going to attempt an install similar to this, but scaled down. I have a factory installed BOSE system, so i am looking into how I tap sub into that. Any suggestions?

I am looking at the shallow mount pioneer 8 or 10, and a 300 watt amp. Just to add that little extra bass.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts