GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had been looking for an easy way to add a little boom to my Acadia. There is simply no where to hide a sub, so I went with one that can be easily removed if needed. I decided to put in a Rockford Fosgate P300-12. It fits behind the third row, and can be removed quickly with two plugs. The second part was tying into the audio system. I found a guy on youtube that builds custom harnesses that breakout the audio going from the amp and provide it to a line converter.

Here is a link to the guy that made the harness:

Here are some pics from the install.
Wiring Harness with audio and power broken out.

Adapter to disable noise cancelling, which will cause feedback from the new sub.

Amp Location

Wiring harness installed

Audio Control LC2i Line Converter can compensate for any bass roll-off from the amplifier.

I ran power down the right side, audio, trigger, and remote on the left.

All done.

Fits like a glove

Cables come up between the seats so it can easily be positioned behind the second or third row. To remove, just pull the two plugs, and the cable will tuck back down between the seats.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Very nice work. Does it get boomy/muddy at all being close to a "wall"? Not that there are a lot of choices in a vehicle!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I had been looking for an easy way to add a little boom to my Acadia. There is simply no where to hide a sub, so I went with one that can be easily removed if needed. I decided to put in a Rockford Fosgate P300-12. It fits behind the third row, and can be removed quickly with two plugs. The second part was tying into the audio system. I found a guy on youtube that builds custom harnesses that breakout the audio going from the amp and provide it to a line converter.

Here are some pics from the install.
Excellent write up and pictures !
Even may help others who just might need to get into the center console or at other items in the areas pictured.

Bookmarked !

Reactions: siuengr

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice work. Does it get boomy/muddy at all being close to a "wall"? Not that there are a lot of choices in a vehicle!
Not sure yet. I just got it installed last night. I am still playing with the settings, gain and xover point. Some songs its like you don't even hear it, then the next song blows you away. I might try some different positions since is is easy to move. Overall it sounds great. Way more bass than I needed. The 10" probably would have been enough.

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
... Some songs its like you don't even hear it, then the next song blows you away. ...
A lot of that depends on how the original recording was mixed. Good luck finding a 'happy medium.'

Reactions: siuengr

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Not sure yet. I just got it installed last night. I am still playing with the settings, gain and xover point. Some songs its like you don't even hear it, then the next song blows you away. I might try some different positions since is is easy to move. Overall it sounds great. Way more bass than I needed. The 10" probably would have been enough.
For sure , sound tuning in a vehicle is an art. Such a small volume, hard window surfaces and metal that can buzz and vibrate. And then there are the different styles of music and how it was recorded.
Bet it does sound good though.
The Bose in our Acadia is similar. Some music has a lot of bass and another is very mild. Sometimes it just is what it is. :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For sure , sound tuning in a vehicle is an art. Such a small volume, hard window surfaces and metal that can buzz and vibrate. And then there are the different styles of music and how it was recorded.
Bet it does sound good though.
The Bose in our Acadia is similar. Some music has a lot of bass and another is very mild. Sometimes it just is what it is. :cool:
I got to play with it today a little bit. Had it behind the third row facing back. Then turned it around facing forward in the open. I didn't notice a big difference. The biggest difference is that I had the crossover set around 125Hz. I didn't realize it went from 50Hz to 200Hz, and I just had it set in the middle. I turned it down to around 80Hz and it sounded much better. I still need to adjust the LC2i. It can control progressively control how much bass goes to the sub. Right now there is too much at low volume, but just right when it's loud.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Years ago when I was setting up the system in my Trans Am, I had a huge frequency boost in the mid-low range due to the interior shape of the vehicle that had to be cut way back with a 13 band EQ. I was using just a simple test tone CD and a db meter (A-weighting) to graph the interior response. Kind of a poor man's real time analyzer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Years ago when I was setting up the system in my Trans Am, I had a huge frequency boost in the mid-low range due to the interior shape of the vehicle that had to be cut way back with a 13 band EQ. I was using just a simple test tone CD and a db meter (A-weighting) to graph the interior response. Kind of a poor man's real time analyzer.
The LC2I has an adjustment to boost bass more as the volume increase, but you have to find the right point trigger point. I just haven't had time to do it. I use REW with a UMIK-1 mic for my tuning. Usually used for home theater calibrations, but trying it out in the car for the first time. It has a pink noise generator, can do frequency sweeps, and has a real time spectrum analyzer. Best part is it's free, except for the microphone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thats not a little sub lol. thats a big boom.
I remember when i was a teen i had 2 12s, then in my 20s i went to 1 12,and then later, one 10". IMO 1one 10" is great, provides nice clean bass, a little punch in the back etc.On my wifes yukon, I tried something smaller, I yanked out the crappy 6" bose and put a 8" rockville in there. much improved, but i think it was to close to the driver. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/replaced-the-bose-sub-with-a-8-rockville.112316/
While small, it was invisible and made it sound like a really good stock system.

We just sold that car, now have '17 acadia denali and I'll be looking for a spot to hide a small sub in the back. 10" would be nice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats not a little sub lol. thats a big boom.
I remember when i was a teen i had 2 12s, then in my 20s i went to 1 12,and then later, one 10". IMO 1one 10" is great, provides nice clean bass, a little punch in the back etc.On my wifes yukon, I tried something smaller, I yanked out the crappy 6" bose and put a 8" rockville in there. much improved, but i think it was to close to the driver. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/replaced-the-bose-sub-with-a-8-rockville.112316/
While small, it was invisible and made it sound like a really good stock system.

We just sold that car, now have '17 acadia denali and I'll be looking for a spot to hide a small sub in the back. 10" would be nice
I was orginally looking for someplace to hide the sub. The only place would be under the floor, by taking out the storage tray. That would have required some fabrication work. I looked at other slim subwoofers, but there is really no other room to put anything in these Acadias. I was going to go with the 10" as well, but it was only $20 cheaper and nearly the same size. The 12" still fits on one side without hanging over. It has a volume control I ran under the driver seat, so I can easily adjust it. It provides plenty of clean bass. I'm sure the 10" would have been adequate, but I don't think I lost anything going with the 12".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts