GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a strong propane (like) smell coming into my Acadia, it is also coming from the motor outside the Acadia. The smell has made me and my family SICK. If anyone else is having this problem, and not getting anywhere with your dealership or GMC. Please feel free to email me at [email protected].

My dealership in Milwaukie, Oregon, Auto Town Buick Pontiac GMC, has been terrible to deal with, especially, MOON the sales manager.

·
Registered
662 Posts
How many miles on your Acadia? I had some smell for a short while (just when it was new). Seemed to "burn off" after a 1,000 or so miles. Boy, you would think they would make sure none of the coatings used to protect the various components would be so noxious. I'm not sure you have the same thing I had. I would smell it the most right after I shut off the engine.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a similar odor when I first bought the car. It wasn't overwhelming and went away after around 750-1000 miles. It seemed to happen when the air kicked on and would go away if the recirculation settings was selected.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have that same odor coming through the vents...and still have it after 3000 miles. I only notice it at idle after driving for a while. If the vehicle is moving I can't smell it.

It will be on my list of things for the dealer to look at when I bring it in for the first oil change.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Try to hold it in until you get out of the car, then let her rip! :thumb:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mine went away after 500-600 miles!! :mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had this odor too, seemed to be more noticeable after a ride on the highway. Seemed to go away around 2000-3000 miles. I agree that the car should not emit such an odor, regardless of whether or not it is harmful. Friends riding in the car noticed it and were skeptical about the safety of the car due to the odor (as was I). Went away before I could get it to the dealer, and based on other threads, I expected it would go away eventually (which it did).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Odor smell can be fixed easily. The problem is that the in-coming air vents are designed under the hood in front of windshield. While most (old) cars have these vents visible outside, so air is usually dried. However, Acadia, may include its other siblings like Buick Enclave, Chevrolete Traverse, and Saturn Outlook, have these vents under the hood. When using re-circlulating air conditioner, there may have some moisture still remain in there or inside the duct. After some times, it causes smelling like mildew. So, if you open the hood, spray some water into these vents to flush out. Then turn the a/c fan (without a/c on), you should notice that most smell are gone. To even make it better, spray just little air refreshment into these vents. In addition, let the fan blowing high without a/c after each trip for about a few seconds. It helps to dry out all moisture in the a/c duct. Hope this trick will fix your odor smell problem

·
Registered
27 Posts
hungtdao said:
Odor smell can be fixed easily. The problem is that the in-coming air vents are designed under the hood in front of windshield. While most (old) cars have these vents visible outside, so air is usually dried. However, Acadia, may include its other siblings like Buick Enclave, Chevrolete Traverse, and Saturn Outlook, have these vents under the hood. When using re-circlulating air conditioner, there may have some moisture still remain in there or inside the duct. After some times, it causes smelling like mildew. So, if you open the hood, spray some water into these vents to flush out. Then turn the a/c fan (without a/c on), you should notice that most smell are gone. To even make it better, spray just little air refreshment into these vents. In addition, let the fan blowing high without a/c after each trip for about a few seconds. It helps to dry out all moisture in the a/c duct. Hope this trick will fix your odor smell problem
Mildew and propane are two totally different smells. If you're smelling propane its likely coming from a hydro-carbon source vice standing water/moisture.

There are lots of posts here and on other sites referencing a replacement vent hose from the transfer case which will solve the propane smell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also has this worrisome "propane"-like smell. Every time I brought it in to my dealer for service they would - of course - not be able to replicate the issue. It was in four times for this issue, nothing found or repaired. Would happen if I was driving for a while and then came to an idle (at a stoplight or such), also noticed it more in the summertime. I have 2 small children, so it really worried me! Then all of a sudden I haven't noticed it anymore after just passing 40,000 km. Curious, recently I also had the sunroof draintubes fixed because they failed and the tranny and engine were dropped out to fix a faulty gasket and put back in, so maybe the mechanics did something. It could have been one of those 2 things, but I am glad it is finally gone. Just wish the dealership made more of an effort to find the issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Danac said:
I also has this worrisome "propane"-like smell. Every time I brought it in to my dealer for service they would - of course - not be able to replicate the issue. It was in four times for this issue, nothing found or repaired. Would happen if I was driving for a while and then came to an idle (at a stoplight or such), also noticed it more in the summertime. I have 2 small children, so it really worried me! Then all of a sudden I haven't noticed it anymore after just passing 40,000 km. Curious, recently I also had the sunroof draintubes fixed because they failed and the tranny and engine were dropped out to fix a faulty gasket and put back in, so maybe the mechanics did something. It could have been one of those 2 things, but I am glad it is finally gone. Just wish the dealership made more of an effort to find the issue.
Wow....Scary, I've had the same problem since new and I thought I was crazy, but the wife and kids have smelled two......Still having (just turned 47,000 miles)...The last two times were Tuesday, but the smell was different, almost a rotten egg smell...I had been driving all afternoon and then came to a stop and presto, there it was....I don't think its a serious problem, we actually joke about it.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
[size=10pt]#10-01-37-002: Gear Oil Type Odor in Interior of Vehicle - (Dec 9. 2010)[/size]

Subject : Gear Oil Type Odor in Interior of Vehicle (Install Cabin Filter into HVAC Module)

Models: 2008-2011 Buick Enclave
2009-2011 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2011 GMC Acadia
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK
Build Prior to October 11, 2010

Condition
Some Customers may comment on a gear oil type odor in the interior of the vehicle. The odor may be coming in through the air vents when the HVAC system is in the non-recirculation mode and can be misdiagnosed as an HVAC concern. The condition is most noticeable when the vehicle is idling at operating temperature after an extended drive. The odor will typically dissipate when the HVAC system is placed in the recirculation mode.

Cause
This condition may be caused by PTU transfer case fluid odor being pulled into the vehicle through the HVAC air inlet due to the location of the PTU vent.

Basically GM is just adding a charcoal passenger compartment air filter to solve the problem. Part # 20958479.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

Thanks for the info :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Newbie here just purchased an '11 Acadia SLT AWD Same EXHAUST smell that everyone is talking about . Its definitely an exhaust problem , not some of the others ive seen on this site. its not gear oil or musty ac . its comming from the exhaust and is being sucked into the car by either a poorly located vent or some type of aerodynamic situation with the car . I havent seen any answers on this , does anybody have any info on a freal ix for this?
Thanks
Shawn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my 2011 Acadia in August 2010 and we immediately noticed this odor, returned the vehicle to the dealer and had to get a courtesy car for a week until they were able to fix it. As mentioned previously, it is from the PTU transfer case fluid odor being pulled into the vehicle through the HVAC air inlet due to the location of the PTU vent. The proper fix is to move this vent using a remote ventilation hose kit (part #19256170) which is provided to the dealer from GM specifically to address this problem and is a warranty repair. Using the kit, the dealer will relocate the vent from under the vehicle to the rear of the vehicle to the fuel fill. This is a time consuming fix as it requires removing the transfer case, exhaust and shields. Anyone with this problem should take it up with their dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those who have the cabin air filter installed you will know that the charcoal cabin air filter does not remove the smell of gear oil coming throught the HVAC system.

Before the TSB to install the cabin air filter, GM's solution was to install a vent kit to relocate the off gas from the transfer case to the rear of the vehicle (gas cap).

This vent kit "all of a sudden" became discontinued when the charcoal filter solution appeared:

A vent kit provides for a tube to run from the transfer case to the fuel filler cap.

GM USA, the vent kit pn is 01CDZ110.

GM Canada, the vent kit pn is 19256170.

Due to the number of people complaining to GM, they have decided to reactivate the vent kit. Installation involves dropping the transfer case and removing rear wheel well liner in order to install vent tube and connect to fuel filler cap. This prevents hose rub through. It's way more labor intensive than the air filter solution but is the only effective method of preventing the smell of gear oil from entering the cabin.
Ref: TAC Case # 1039953758

See your GM Service Manager with a printed copy of this topic and ask him to call GM Engineering and have it covered under good will.

Good Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2012 Acadia with 1800 miles and have noticed same smell. Will the dealership take care of this without a problem, or will it e a fight?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2012 and never noticed this. I always stick it on recirculate though. I sit in traffic a lot though and I can't stand the outside smells to invade when the a/c is on. Unless they 'fixed' this issue? I bought mine on V-Day this year, it's build date was in mid/late Jan I believe.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Ajdata said:
I have a 2012 Acadia with 1800 miles and have noticed same smell. Will the dealership take care of this without a problem, or will it e a fight?
Since the vehicle is a 2012 with only 1800 miles, the dealer should fix the problem under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty. I have never had this on my '11 Acadia but there is a filter (charcoal I think) for the cabin so that may be why I never got the smell.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts