GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Has anybody tried to install a strobe light in the third (CHMSL) light?
I haven't seen any mention of it here in "search community" results. I did find a thread or two about installing a strobe CHMSL on other GM model forums, though. Maybe discussions in one of those forums will help with any questions you have.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Has anybody tried to install a strobe light in the third (CHMSL) light?
I installed a programmable strobe module on my wife's previous SUV for the Center High Mounted Stop Light.
I liked it since I could select the number of flashes, how fast and options such as 3 fast flashes ending with 3 slower flashes in sequence. Also, it could also set so that once it was activated by the brake lights, it would not strobe for another 10 to 15 seconds in case the driver was in a traffic backup and didn't irritate a vehicle driver behind you each time brakes were applied every few feet as traffic crept along.

There are newer self contained and model specific strobe lights now available. But many are not programmable and laws in states vary as to them being legal unless they operate under specific guidelines.
Therefore, the programmable module may be best.

Amazon.com : flashing brake light module

Below is the flasher being programmed with a small power supply before install.

Fluid Circuit component Electrical wiring Cable Electronic engineering

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
That's something I saw in one of the threads I mentioned.

·
Registered
2011 Carbon Black Metallic GMC Acadia Denali AWD
7 Posts
I would certainly hope that a strobe light mounted on the back of any car would be illegal.....the irritation of having to look at that would be indescribable. My 2 cents worth only mind ya!
It’s not really a strobe light it’s a bulb for brake lights that flashes about three times to warn that the brakes are hit and it’s steady brake lights from there on out. I’m sure that’s what’s being asked and not a regular strobe light

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s not really a strobe light it’s a bulb for break lights that flashes about three times to warn that the brakes are hit and it’s steady brake lights from there on out. I’m sure that’s what’s being asked and not a regular strobe light
The local Chev, Buick, Jeep, etc dealer installs the flasher module on all the cars that they sell so we see a fair number of them. They put one on my Colorado before delivery and I told them to take it off, we ended leaving it at no cost. I prefer a solid brake light, not "bumped the brake pedal" flash. I think it increases response time by following traffic longer while that driver figures out what is going on. Amazon sells a module for less than $20 but I don't think it's programmable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts