GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm scared to death of the strike, I'll admit it. I had a build date of 10/8, but that's shot to heck, now. So, I'm forced to compromise with what's left on the lot.

To clarify, I'm talking about an Outlook. I would post in the Saturn forum, but it's like a ghost town over there. You guys talk much more here ;D

Anyway, I had a 2008 XE with Preferred, Convenience, and the DVD player. In the Saturn getting the DVD adds Automatic Climate Control, and Advance audio (Bose) with rear controls

The 2 on the lot I'm looking at have Preferred and Convenience, but no DVD. One has a Sunroof, one does not. I plan to add a dealer installed DVD to either.

So, how much will I miss the Automatic Climate Control and the rear seat audio?
Is the sunroof a must?
How bad is the 6 speaker stereo?

thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
730 Posts
How bad do you need these items? ;)
10/8 is a little over 2 weeks from now. MAYBE things will get better then. One thing I would not do is compromise and at the end will regret the decision you've made. I wish I had this..... I wish I had that...
You are going to spend money anyway then why not make the most of it.

To answer your questions:
for me, this is convenience for both the front and rear passengers[/color]

Is the sunroof a must?
it depends on where you live and are you claustrophobic? There is a nice sense of openness with the sunroof[/color]

I never liked factory audio. I always end up buying aftermarket early into the ownership of a vehicle. . The standard 6-speaker system which I had sucked big time.[/color]

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I have an Acadia, not an Outlook, so I don't know if this is helpful or not...

I don't have the sunroof. I've only ever had a sunroof on one vehicle that I owned. So I don't feel like I'm missing anything. While there is a certain "cool factor" to having a dual sunroof above your head, I live without it just fine. :)

I don't have automatic climate control or rear seat audio either. I do have dual climate control though and that's pretty nice, except for when the dogs accidentally hit the knobs back there and turn everything on full blast. heh I've had vehicles with auto climate control and honestly, I don't feel like I'm missing a thing.

I do have the 6 speaker stereo and I don't think it's that bad. My son has had it cranked up pretty loud to the point where my mirrors are vibrating and it sounds alright to us.

I seem to recall from other posts on this forum that some owners were having issues with water leaks. Was that because of the sunroofs? I thought I read something about a drain rail or something that was not installed properly in the roof. I could be wrong. But again, going without the sunroof could just be one less headache for you. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
The sunroofs will change the position of your headliner so your DVD player will "hang down" about 2" lower than without a sunroof. This can impact your rear view. With a factory DVD, the sunroof version covered about 1/3-1/2 of the view, depending on who was driving (me or husband.) Without the sunroof, the DVD screen barely made an impact on the rear view.

Keep in mind that after market DVD screens are usually bigger too so you will definitely have rear vision obstruction. Your best bet is no sunroof - for the leaks and for the better view with the DVD.

·
Registered
269 Posts
stiffi said:
I'm scared to death of the strike, I'll admit it. I had a build date of 10/8, but that's shot to heck, now. So, I'm forced to compromise with what's left on the lot.

To clarify, I'm talking about an Outlook. I would post in the Saturn forum, but it's like a ghost town over there. You guys talk much more here ;D

Anyway, I had a 2008 XE with Preferred, Convenience, and the DVD player. In the Saturn getting the DVD adds Automatic Climate Control, and Advance audio (Bose) with rear controls

The 2 on the lot I'm looking at have Preferred and Convenience, but no DVD. One has a Sunroof, one does not. I plan to add a dealer installed DVD to either.

Is the sunroof a must?

thanks in advance for your help.
First, have you talked to your dealer about what they can get from other dealers?

I don't know about the outlook options, not sure if you mean cargo area audio controls or the audio controls on the back of the center console for row 2. If it is the former, I don't see much need, unless you might be tailgating or something. If it is the latter, then a aftermarket DVD will be most of what would entertain the backseat anyway. We don't use those controls in our car mostly- but once I was riding in the back seat and I did use the rear climate controls from there.

You have to answer the question about the factory DVD. for us, we love it. I would definately look for the dealer to find one with it. We have a little kid, so being able to control the DVD from the front is imperative, and the wireless headphones are great. They are very simple, and our 2 year old would turn them on and off herself when she got in or out of the car. Also the audio with the DVD in the Acadia is awesome.

Unless you are absolutely sold on the Outlook, you might check the GMC dealers and Buick dealers to see if they will work a little more on price during this strike.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know about you but if you are not in a real hurry (other than just really wanting a new vehilce) I would wait till you can get what you want and not have to settle. My Acadia was built last week and now I don't know if it is going to ship because of the strike. I was thinking last night could I settle for one that wasn't the color or didn't have exactly what I wanted. I came up with "NO". I have always bought off the lot because I was basically in the need for a car right then. I settled each time and always had regrets (either because of color or features). This time I'm buying because i want a new car (tired of putting money into my current one and the miles are getting high) and there are certain things I want in that car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
stiffi said:
Is the sunroof a must?
I had a sunroof in old car, didn't get in the acadia because i always had it closed. I also worried about water leakage. For me, not critical and I honestly don't miss it.

The DVD is high on the cool factor if you have little kids and SO GREAT at keeping them entertained (= quiet!) BUT, can be done later with headrest units bought at Walmart (less convenient, but doable).

If you are big into sound you'll want better speakers, but I'm generally happy with anything. Do you live in your car? Then better sound is probably important. If not, don't worry about it, they'll probably still sound great.

I agree with previous poster, have your dealer scour the country for something to meet your needs, they don't want to lose your sale and may be willing to work a bit harder to keep you.

JMHO

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
bhpeters said:
The DVD is high on the cool factor if you have little kids and SO GREAT at keeping them entertained (= quiet!)
I see this comment made about DVD in vehicles so often. I seriously don't know how I survived my son's childhood without it! :p I guess feeble threats and duct tape go a long way in keeping kids quiet.

I like when other people have DVD in their vehicles because it keeps me entertained when I'm following them in bumper to bumper traffic. ;D

I agree with the post about not settling. If you want what you want, then wait for it. I have settled on vehicles in the past and have had that "regret" feeling the entire time I owned the vehicle. It doesn't make for a happy vehicle/owner relationship.

Remember: You always get what you want, just not always when you want it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For over 30,000 dollars, I would make sure I am getting what I want. Don't settle for something that's on the lot and doesn't have what you want. I have the acadia with the climate control and the dvd player without the sun roof. The dvd player includes the bose system also, that I don't think you will get with an aftermarket player. The climate control is nice, when the kids are cold in the back we can turn the rear vents to a different temp or just off and leave the front on. I actually have the tri climate control that allows the passenger to also adjust there temperature. I can honestly say the climate control wasn't a must have option, although the dvd player was. In fact, the kids this past week figured out how to connect the playstation to it now. When you go to eat for steak and the waiter brings you a hamburger would you be happy? Don't settle for something you don't want.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A truckload of Acadias was just delivered to a nearby dealer. One of them is just like the one I have on order just w/o the HID headlights. I think I will still wait...

·
Registered
134 Posts
We didn't get that many options on our SLT-2, but we did get HID and HUD and love them both. My wife hates to drive any other vehicle with "whale oil lamps." My son and I think the HUD is just the coolest thing ever. (Typical guy toys!)

If you get the HID lights, be prepared for a bill someday to replace a burnt out bulb. Other posters here have said the whole front fascia has to come off to get at the bulb, and there are some concerns about the high voltage. It's basically a job for the dealer. It's a far cry from the days when we replaced our headlight in the driveway for $5. I didn't know this, and in hindsight it wouldn't have deterred us from the HIDs anyway. Better to be informed in advance, though.

We purposely skipped the DVD Nav, DVD Entertainment and sunroof, mostly to keep the purchase price down as they weren't that important to us. However, I think we would have regretted a sunroof, and are glad we skipped it. In our state the thermal load from the sun would make the interior pretty hot. The interior cover is a black mesh, and not solid, so some heat always gets through.

Just my opinion, however; lots of folks on this forum really like their dual sunroofs, and say the solar heating is not a problem.

I agree with everyone else. Don't settle; get what you want. It costs too much (and you pay for it too long) to have regrets.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you read the HID thread further, it explains how to replace the bulbs without taking off the fascia. I recall it stating removing the inner lining on the fender well. Changing the lightbulb in your car should not be any different than changing the one in your house. Pull the plug out of the wall or disconnect your battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts