GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, wondering if anyone has noticed anything like this...
Today (in a blizzard) the truck performed very admirably :cheers: but I noticed this evening that when I went through a series of big drifts that the headlights noticeably dimmed and I looked at the battery gauge...it was below the 13 mark by half (so what does this read??) and the lights remained dim. After a half mile and a few more drifts (about 1 foot or so deep, travelling about 60kph (40 mph-ish) and a turn with braking there was a sudden upsurge in the lighting back to normal and then the battery went to 13 and stayed. I shut the truck off in the garage and then tried to restart and the gauge read normal (3/4 way). What the heck was this....what would cause a drain or is there a gremiln in this truck too? It is -45C with the wind chill but that isnt the first time this truck has been through the weather. The AWD system or something getting stuck up with snow?? I have an SLE, 2007, and have had the dead battery issue already. Just once, but I am a little concerned since, well, it being Canada and rural...Onstar doesnt find me easily to send help. I dont understand what causes a temporary power draw of that magnitude, and no, the traction system light had not engaged. ANy insight??? :-\

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had similiar issues with my Envoy when I first got it, the root cause for mine was a loose negative battery terminal.

·
Registered
812 Posts
do you have the HIDs or halogens?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have not had my Acadia in that much snow, but was there any squealing? I noticed that the serpentine belt can only be accessed from underneath and if snow got on to the belt, it might have been slipping causing the alternator not to charge the battery. I think if this only happened in that deep snow and cleared up after it was parked, this may very well be the issue.

Chris

·
Registered
812 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
I have not had my Acadia in that much snow, but was there any squealing? I noticed that the serpentine belt can only be accessed from underneath and if snow got on to the belt, it might have been slipping causing the alternator not to charge the battery. I think if this only happened in that deep snow and cleared up after it was parked, this may very well be the issue.

Chris
An interesting discovery Chris, will check mine when it arrived. That can be an issue... but why can it only be accessed underneath? :banghead:

·
Registered
246 Posts
big bear craig said:
I have driven my AWD a fair amount in snow and have not experienced any problems.
:ditto:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,
My husband, the antique tractor repairman, says the belt and the snow pack likely was the cause since it was temporary and has not happened since. There was no squealing at all. I will have the dealer be sure to check all belts for damage when I bring it in for all the service. I guess being nervous about the battery issue again doesnt help much. On the up side of it all, this is the BEST vehicle, 4wd,2wd,rwd that I have ever driven in the winter - I have lived in SK all my life. It just feels so secure and steady...and we have had a nasty icy snowy winter so far. My husband really enjoys stealing it. Thank you all for your suggestions as to the cause!

·
Registered
415 Posts
sjohnson said:
Hey all, wondering if anyone has noticed anything like this...
Today (in a blizzard) the truck performed very admirably :cheers: but I noticed this evening that when I went through a series of big drifts that the headlights noticeably dimmed and I looked at the battery gauge...it was below the 13 mark by half (so what does this read??) and the lights remained dim. After a half mile and a few more drifts (about 1 foot or so deep, travelling about 60kph (40 mph-ish) and a turn with braking there was a sudden upsurge in the lighting back to normal and then the battery went to 13 and stayed. I shut the truck off in the garage and then tried to restart and the gauge read normal (3/4 way). What the heck was this....what would cause a drain or is there a gremiln in this truck too? It is -45C with the wind chill but that isnt the first time this truck has been through the weather. The AWD system or something getting stuck up with snow?? I have an SLE, 2007, and have had the dead battery issue already. Just once, but I am a little concerned since, well, it being Canada and rural...Onstar doesnt find me easily to send help. I dont understand what causes a temporary power draw of that magnitude, and no, the traction system light had not engaged. ANy insight??? :-\
I had this issue for serveral weeks now and there is no snow here, but it keeps dropping to 13 volts and then like you say when restarting it will go back to 3/4 should I be concerned. i also hear this strange noise at only cold starups lately not sure what that is anyone else experience this? use to start up quietly before

·
Super Moderator
22,416 Posts
SLT09_ACADIA said:
I had this issue for serveral weeks now and there is no snow here, but it keeps dropping to 13 volts and then like you say when restarting it will go back to 3/4 should I be concerned.
No! That's normal indication that the battery is fully-charged and requires no additional 'juice' (as in electricity). If it drops below 12 and doesn't come back up to 13 or 14 when you turn on the lights (or some other major draw), I might be concerned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts