GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have a 2014 SLT 2 and have begun to hear a buzzing sound coming from dash area. It happens at around 70 plus miles an hour and when when it is cold. It takes about ten minutes before it starts and then is intermittent but increases with speed. I have talked to the dealer twice and was told without a warning light or the ability to replicate the sound there is nothing they can do. Anyone know what this might be and what can be done.

·
Registered
271 Posts
J/K. Does it change with your blower speed? How about with temperature setting? Wipers on?
Try changing HVAC controls to see if it makes a difference, also fresh air vs recirculation air. I am thinking maybe a air blend door not opening or closing fully and vibrating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wipers seem to make no difference and there is little difference if on auto or changing blower speed manually. Interestingly enough I initially thought the sound stopped when on recycling air but not this last trip.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
set to manual control of the AC system.
then try selecting recirculate on or off, and try changing the modes- (feet, face, windshield etc)

may be a bad actuator.....
so lets rule them out.

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
Is it possible to tell from what part of the dash this noise comes? You're talking about a fairly large area - and relatively deep, too. Usually, it takes a copilot to listen while you're driving to pinpoint something like that. Did you ask the service writer to ride with you and listen for the noise so they could be more confident in determining what they were trying to fix for you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too had the buzz on my 14' I got out my air compressor and spray nozzle and discovered the noise is the cowling vibrating against the windshield at speedd near 70. Probably due to thermal expansion in the summer this cowl has a slight bubble and doesn't sit on the glass perfectly in two spots along the base of the windshield.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My experience with dash noises is : Air “blend” doors make a loud “thumping” noise (as the door continually falls because a plastic gear has developed stripped teeth). Or the Air Directional System (windshield/feet/face) develops a repeated “thumping” noise because something starts failing with the vacuum system (my 2011 Equinox just started doing this ... sounds like a “Little Person” inside my dash pounding their fist repeatedly). I’m waiting for it to fail completely before doing anything about it.

But a “buzzing” noise is probably just vibration of pieces in close proximity that have developed an air gap because one piece has vibrated loose enough, OR cold temperatures have caused shrinkage.

The cowling theory sounds correct to me. Or it could be on the inside where the dash meets the windshield. What can you do? I’ve seen new cars with strips of felt protruding near the dash/windshield seam. When I see that I think it’s the dealer doing that trying to stop a squeak or vibration noise that a previous test-driver noticed. I also once knew a very detail-oriented co-worker (Engineer) who noticed every darn thing “wrong” with his car. He had a brand new 1998 Lincoln Mk8 that was in the dealership *constantly* for one thing or another. One of those things was persistent dash noise that the dealership was *constantly* trying to silence. They disassembled his dash at least once (or so they claimed) trying to satisfy this guy. They also replaced his brand new factory windshield to silence an annoying “ticking” noise. The dealership claimed the windshield had been misinstalled at the factory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too had the buzz on my 14' I got out my air compressor and spray nozzle and discovered the noise is the cowling vibrating against the windshield at speedd near 70. Probably due to thermal expansion in the summer this cowl has a slight bubble and doesn't sit on the glass perfectly in two spots along the base of the windshield.
We just bought a 14' Acadia from CarMax and our car has the same exact issue you described. We didn't find out until after buying because the test drive route they use doesn't allow us to go over 50 mph. Anyways, we noticed that slight bubble at the rubber seal between the windshield and cowling, and to test if this was actually the issue, I wedged in a little bit of paper towel in the small bubbles, used painters tap along the rubber seal, and voila, not a single buzz. I even went 70 mph in each direct (N, S, E, W). Don't ask me the rationale behind that decision, it just made sense at the time. No noise. Now I just need to have CarMax fix it - I think we can "threaten" to return the car under the 7 day return policy if they say they won't fix it.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
We just bought a 14' Acadia from CarMax and our car has the same exact issue you described. We didn't find out until after buying because the test drive route they use doesn't allow us to go over 50 mph. Anyways, we noticed that slight bubble at the rubber seal between the windshield and cowling, and to test if this was actually the issue, I wedged in a little bit of paper towel in the small bubbles, used painters tap along the rubber seal, and voila, not a single buzz. I even went 70 mph in each direct (N, S, E, W). Don't ask me the rationale behind that decision, it just made sense at the time. No noise. Now I just need to have CarMax fix it - I think we can "threaten" to return the car under the 7 day return policy if they say they won't fix it.
My son is a CarMax service advisor. You don't need to make threats to have your car fixed,,,,assuming there is an actual approved fix. You may need to take the service advisor for a ride to demonstrate the issue.

As an aside, I hope you purchased the Max Care warranty. Makes having your car repaired much easier after your 90 day warranty expires.

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
... Now I just need to have CarMax fix it - I think we can "threaten" to return the car under the 7 day return policy if they say they won't fix it.
Welcome to the forum.
There's no need for any anguish if you know where the noise occurs and found a temporary solution to the problem. Let the service advisor know all your info, show them where you did what you did, and the tech should be able to work on a proper fix to the noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That describes mine exactly. I looked at the cowling below the windshield and didn't see anything. Exactly how did you fix it? Thanks
Mine does the same thing. I taped down the cowling that sits on the windshield, especially over the bubbled areas. Then put a weatherstripping rope inside the car at the windshield. The vibration and annoying noise went away. I think the tape outside on the cowling may have sealed the air from entering and vibrating. When I get home (2000 mile trip) I plan on visiting the GMC dealer to get their BS excuse as to why it's not a recall!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I taped down the cowling that sits on the windshield, especially over the bubbled areas. Then put a weatherstripping rope inside the car at the windshield. The vibration and annoying noise went away. I think the tape outside on the cowling may have sealed the air from entering and vibrating. When I get home (2000 mile trip) I plan on visiting the GMC dealer to get their BS excuse as to why it's not a recall!
what kind of tape did you use on the outside on the cowling?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone I have a 2014 SLT 2 and have begun to hear a buzzing sound coming from dash area. It happens at around 70 plus miles an hour and when when it is cold. It takes about ten minutes before it starts and then is intermittent but increases with speed. I have talked to the dealer twice and was told without a warning light or the ability to replicate the sound there is nothing they can do. Anyone know what this might be and what can be done.
I had the same problem with my 2016 Acadia Denali. It´s the black plastic cowl that affixes to the windshield. At first I put black tape on it to silence it, then when I got home I added silicon under the cowl... problem solved. I beleive the plastic cowl dries out in time and allows air to make it vibrate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts