GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 started today in -25 c weather. I drive it for 15 minutes with no issues. I turn it off for about 10 minutes, come back and the battery won't crank the engine. Battery gauge reads halfway between the 8v and 13v, so maybe 10-11v.

I get a boost and drive home. Turn it off and it starts up just fine. let it sit for 2 hours, starts up again just fine.

Battery is not very old. I never noticed any fluctuations of the volt meter and it seems to be charging fine.

After I boosted it the check engine light came on and now there are a bunch of codes relating to the o2 heaters.

Is it possible somehow the o2 sensors were still heating with the engine off?

Or how does a battery that started a car after a few days in extreme cold go dead after 10 minutes?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Odds are great you have a bad battery. Todays cars when the battery voltage drops will do many crazy things.

My 2012 Terrain did the same thing. Start no start and then check engine lights.

The one in my GTP while driving started to shut things down like AC, Radio, Speedometer
, check engine lights started to pop up.

Get the battery tested and if it is not too old you may still have some prorated warranty.

Todays cars with todays power management can do some very odd thing.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My 2012 started today in -25 c weather. I drive it for 15 minutes with no issues. I turn it off for about 10 minutes, come back and the battery won't crank the engine. Battery gauge reads halfway between the 8v and 13v, so maybe 10-11v.

I get a boost and drive home. Turn it off and it starts up just fine. let it sit for 2 hours, starts up again just fine.

Battery is not very old. I never noticed any fluctuations of the volt meter and it seems to be charging fine.

After I boosted it the check engine light came on and now there are a bunch of codes relating to the o2 heaters.

Is it possible somehow the o2 sensors were still heating with the engine off?

Or how does a battery that started a car after a few days in extreme cold go dead after 10 minutes?
See if you can get your battery load tested. Some auto parts stores will do it for free.

Even then, if the battery is 3 to 5 years old, you drive short trips daily, and it is cold weather, the battery may be weak and ready to be replaced.

Also, inspect and/or clean the battery terminal posts and connectors. The connectors and/or cables to the battery may even need replacing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after being stranded yesterday and boosting it, it started right up today after another cold night. I didn't even put a charger on it, it's is only charge is from 10 minutes of driving home.

I don't think it is the battery. I have only had the vehicle for a couple months and the previous owner told me the he just replaced the battery and I believe him because he was truthful about everything else (engine needed timing chains)

Battery connections are good and tight, in fact they look new as they are protected from the elements. Battery connection at the fuse box is tight.

I think something similar happened to a friend who has a newer Escalade. She left her hazards on for about 1/2 hour and it wouldn't start. I tried to give her a boost but even with her vehicle hooked to mine charging for 20 minutes, her vehicle would just briefly crank and then go black, exact symptoms of a dead battery and same as mine yesterday. She phoned a shop she knows, they told her to get out of the vehicle, lock the doors and let it go to sleep, then try again and sure enough it started right up. I tried that yesterday but couldn't as my door locks stopped working.

But her vehicle, like mine, I am not sure the battery was dead or if there is something else going on

Anyway, I plan on throwing some tools, a meter and a booster pack in it and I guess keep driving it. At least I'll be in a better position to diagnose the problem if it happens again.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
So after being stranded yesterday and boosting it, it started right up today after another cold night. I didn't even put a charger on it, it's is only charge is from 10 minutes of driving home.

I don't think it is the battery. I have only had the vehicle for a couple months and the previous owner told me the he just replaced the battery and I believe him because he was truthful about everything else (engine needed timing chains)

Battery connections are good and tight, in fact they look new as they are protected from the elements. Battery connection at the fuse box is tight.
I am thinking the clue may be the short 10 minute drives and now colder weather.

Your idea of checking with a meter is a good one. Check it right after starting and then, if you can, when getting to work or driving it for 10 to 20 minutes. Right after starting, expect to see it charging at +14 volts or more.

After driving 20 minutes or more, it should settle down to 13 volts + or - a few tenths.

If not, then it isn't getting charged enough.

Also, even if the battery is new, it has happened that some start to fail early and if it has been routinely under charged, then sulfation can occur which prevents or inhibits the battery from it's ability to accept optimum charging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.